“an overated and disappionting hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Cava d'Oro Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kisthiniou Street 15, Rhodes Town 85100, Greece   |
Ranked #27 of 118 hotels in Rhodes Town
new zealand
“an overated and disappionting hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2006

my husband and I booked this hotel over the internet 5 months before our trip to Rhodes. I thought I had researched it thoroughly and was not expecting any problems. We had booked a double bed and room upstairs with balcony this had all been confirmed over the internet with brigid the owner and at 85 euros was the most expensive room. You can imagine our dismay when we arrived to be given two single beds downstairs on the main road with no privacy at all and traffic noise.I tried to discuss this with Brigid but her way of dealing with it was to not speak to us for the rest of our stay. Her attentions seemed to be entirely focused on the german tour group staying The room was pleasantly decorated but it was not what we had booked.The breakfast was only adequate and as we had only booked for two nights I felt like we had a lucky escape. The next day I found a great little place called Minos pension for the rest of our stay.It had spectacular views from the roof terrace and was run by a lovely family who were really friendly and helpful. At 50 euros a night it was a far better option.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — not getting what we had confirmed
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
staffordshire england
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2006

We booked this hotel on the internet for a 3 night stop after two weeks in Symi (which was fabulous). The photographs of the rooms looked quaint and full of character. I'm sure the rooms in the main hotel are very nice - I didn't get to see one! We were sent down the road trundling our luggage into an annex and a small, dark, airless, windowless bedroom. It was absolutely dire! At one point the electricity went off so, of course, we had to plod back up to the main hotel for assistance! No-one around, so one of the guests came and fixed it! I got the impression it had happened before!

I would advise against this hotel if you're a single, female traveller. The area the annex is in seemed to be a bit dodgy and I wouldn't have fancied staying there by myself.

I think when I booked the room that there was a choice of main building or annex and I booked main building at a higher cost. When we came to pay we were charged more than the price we had been quoted. We didn't argue - we just paid what they asked. We couldn't wait to get out of the place!

All in all, the location was great for wandering around the lovely old town and the breakfast was quite sumptuous. There is no way on earth we'd stay there again though! In fact it quite put me off 'characterful' hotels. Give me a clean, cool, comfortable, featureless five star anyday!

• Liked — the breakfast
  • Disliked — the terrible room in the annex
  • Tips/Secrets — if you do go, ensure that you are in the main buklding
  • Stayed September 2004, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Henley in Arden, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2006

In part of what was supposed to be a special treat for them, my wife and I took my parents to stay at the Cava D'Oro in June, fortunately as it turned out, for only one night. I had found the place on the internet and it looked ideal - small, friendly and full of character. The problem for us was that although the main hotel building does seem to fit that description, it's clear that during the summer the hotel simply overbooks and then cynically disperses extra guests around the vicinity in really unpleasant rooms and apartments. The room that my wife and I had was gloomy, roughly decorated and plagued by slugs that came out of the drains at night. My parent's room was pathetically small, smelly, cramped and ill-equipped. Considering that we were staying in a historic area of the old town we weren't expecting anything modern and glossy, but this isn't some cheap hostel and we really were expecting basic hygiene at least. We met other dissatisfied guests, during what was actually a pleasant breakfast in the main building, who had been similarly stuck into empty rooms in the area. For one couple it was their 5th visit to the hotel - but the first time that they'd been placed outside of the main building and the poor quality of their room led them to swear they would never return again. I would really want to warn potential guests that if they are not lucky enough to be lodging in the main building, then they are likely to have a miserable and disappointing stay.

• Stayed June 2006
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2006

This is a nice little hotel tucked away at the far edge of the old town in a quiet location right next to the old walls. The rooms are quirky and have air con and a little outside area. I would say that as the hotel is small, it does tend to be a bit noisey but nothing earplugs cant control. The alfresco breakfast is very well put together by the German and Greek owners. Rhodes town does have some lovely old cobbled arched alleyways to explore. But beware the main drag. Its the most tacky trashy awful place selling tourist tat. The shop owners and restaurant owners just think you want pizza and chips (which a lot of the day trippers from the awful resorts on Rhodes do). Id just spent a week on the island of Symi which is divine. One night in Rhodes is plenty and it might as well be at the Cava D'oro.

• Stayed June 2006
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2006

This is possibly the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. Not the most luxurious but the most charming, atmospheric and romantic. Our room - incidentally the same room where Michael Palin stayed on his trip around the world for the BBC - had a lovely bed and beams on the ceiling along with a small bathroom and a balcony overlooking the street. Inside the hotel is a tiny courtyard where you have breakfast every morning and where my girlfriend and I would often have a drink late at night before bed. The staff are incredibly helpful and friendly and cannot do enough for you - we were genuinely upset to be leaving after a week. And the location, right on the edge of the old town, cannot be beaten. If you want a high rise Brits abroad place with all the traditonal mod cons and a pool then head for the new town. But if you want a romantic place full of character then head for the Cavadoro. If it's good enough for Michael Palin it's good enough for us.

• Stayed October 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2003

really excellent hotel in Rhodes. Management is very friendly and accomodating, owners speak English. The rooms are quite historical and funky (but nice funky). Hotel is quite clean and the breakfasts are good. It is a small family run hotel. We stayed there for several nights in July 2002 and throughly enjoyed ourselves. Location, in old city of Rhodes, can't be beat.

Been to Cava d'Oro Hotel? Share your experiences!