“This Hotel is very good, contrary to the moaners on here....” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Matina
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Profitis Amos | Kalithea, Faliraki 85105, Greece   |
Ranked #57 of 73 Hotels in Faliraki
London, United Kingdom
“This Hotel is very good, contrary to the moaners on here....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have stayed at the Matina several times now and can honestly say that some of the reviews on here are without finding. If you pay a low price for a hotel then can you really expect a 5 star hotel - no! For what this hotel is, it is value for money and very friendly staff. The hotel was taken over this year by Debs and her family and whilst they may be finding their feet, they are doing a good job. The evening Barman Nickos is particular is fantastic and we had a few nights where ordinarily we would have gone out but because of the hospitality we stayed in.

Everyone looks for different things from a holiday, but you also get what you put in. If you are not prepared to be friendly and be pleasant to the staff then you won't get as much back in return.

The rooms are cleaned every day which is fantastic and the snack food was fine. Admittedly we didn't eat main meals in the hotel purely because we prefer to go out and eat in the local restaurants etc.

We will be going back again next year and looking forward to it.

Room Tip: We had a poolside room, but for those wanting to spend more money, they do also have two luxury room...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
cheshire, uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Here's the back ground, our friends been together at least 17 years and they had their first holiday abroad here. They've visited each year and rated it since. They decided to get married and with the help and assistance of the friends they made at the hotel, friends in faliraki and around the local villages they all made this possible. 30+ guests stayed here as a member of their wedding party in 2012. It was fantastic. The staff were excellent, nothing was too much, they went out of their way to greet, assist and talk to you. The rooms are basic but used as a base, the pool is fantastic (huge), the snack bar opens from 9 and closes at 2am, the hotel is clean, for reasonable requests - the staff here make sure you have it all. It's not just me, my opinion, we've met people here last year, said goodbye, and seen them the same weeks the following year - different people, different countys etc. There is something for everyone. It's a little walk to the centre, but, enjoyable. We've returned since, we've returned again, we've booked again - we are hooked on the Hotel Matina which should be called Hotel Magic Matina. You just settle there like you are at home. We love it - we love the staff in it and can't wait to board that plane again. Thank you for the Magic Matina Memories. x

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Sheringham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

The hotel online appealed to us far more from photos than in real life - the photo's are very deceiving! First impressions are everything, and the staff certainly did not give off a good one! We were greeted with foul faced staff who couldn't even crack so much as a smile and would frequently swear and argue (especially Becki who worked in the snack hut outside - he was very sneaky and angry.) Fair enough the prices are very cheap and you pay for what you get but basic hygiene isn't much to ask for, we were self-catering but our cutlery was ridden with grease and the appliances didn't work, subsequently we had to eat out every night. Not to mention the air-conditioning didn't work! I stayed here whilst on holiday with 3 girl friends looking for fun in the rowdy town centre, however the hotel ruined this for us. A "cold and hostile atmosphere" we dreaded going back at night, the corridors were haunted and ridden with cockroaches. To top the end of this unpleasant stay we decided to try the hotels authentic BBQ night, but it was thoroughly disappointing - the meat was cold, dripping with blood and raw inside. When we asked for a refund the VERY RUDE old man who was serving and waiting us refused and shouted at us. He was also using a poor young boy as a slave and demanding him to clear the plates, so we ended up doing it for the poor little boy as he was in tears (SLAVE LABOUR COMES TO MIND?) we were horrified - to top this monstrosity off my friend spend the night being sick. Thank god we didn't half board, or even worse all inclusive!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Belluno, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I want to complain with Hotel Matina Faliraki for the excellent service in all way.
I consider Hotel Matina Faliraki the best Hotel in Faliraki Place for enjoy the beautiful of the Island of Rhodes: is the best place where you can start for the most beautiful beach of Rhodes: start with Faliraki of course (by walk!!is 5 minutes from the centre), then you've to go to Anthony Quinn's Bay (by walk of course, 15 min), and then you've to visit the "magic"Lindos Old town and beach, Tsampika, Afandu, Prassonisi, and everithing as you like.

Matina Hotel Faliraki is a beautiful, relaxing, excellent hotel where you will enjoy all your holiday.
Beautiful place into the gree, blue color of Rhodes Island.
I like the rooms, the biggest swimmpool (the biggest of the other hotel in Faliraki), the garden, the quality of the best, kind, king service of all Management and personal service that you can find and enjoy in the place.
Rooms are cleaned every day; you've also a little kitchen for your Italian cofee (take a moka, or ask to the Management for everithing you need).
I've the most beautiful room with the scenary of the Egean See on Faliraky (see the foto in my Facebook Profile: jacopo.zambelli facebook): I can see the colour of the nature, the see, the sun: i've lost my hearth for this Island!)

Hotel Matina Faliraki has a beautiful hall with all bar service, a market for everithing as necessary, a wifi area for your "facebook.zapping" and to speek with the ospit and meet friend!

I want to complain with the Management of the Matina Hotel: of course they are my friends forever in Rhodes and Italy: G., G., : thanks for your all.
I will never forget you in my life.

I'm sure that I will return every year, in May and June, with my mamma Alessandra and papà Michele in Hotel Matina Faliraki, and with my friends for all my life.

I want to confirm and present this hotel for my work and holiday.

Kind and King Regards

Dr. Mag. Jacopo Zambelli
Italy
facebook. Jacopo Zambelli

Room Tip: Ask everithing to the Management of the Reception for everithing you need, the're very nice.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

From lookin at the hotel on the internet it looked perfect the pool looked amazing, when we arrived we were very disappointed the images were nothing like what they seemed on the interent. We went half board, the food was appaling for example on night we had 'fish'... this consisted of the saltiest fish ever and you cant even call it batter that it was coated in. Pudding was things like grapes :D. The best we had was jelly. The website stated that it was a short walk from the beach, instead it was more like 20-25 minutes and same for nightlife. The views were not ttractive and surroundings were not nice to look at. On the other hand the rooms were cleaned well and beds made everyday and we did meet gawry which was unforgettable. Overall I wouldnt return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Blackpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Came here in the summer with my partner. Arrived off the coach, first impressions not very welcoming. Went to reception to find out we weren't even due to arrive but they we had our documents to prove we were booked in. They found us a room with a huge satellite dish being our view, lovely. The pool are was very overgrown and needs updating. Nice area but quite a walk from the bars etc. overall probably wouldn't stay here again as it needs major refurb and modernising!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I came here with my fiancé in June 2012, it was a last minute holiday and wanted something reasonable and good value for money. Unfortunately when we arrived on the coach, I felt embarrassed to get off, ( for anyone who has ever seen the inbetweeners movie, you'll understand what we mean, this is exactly how we felt). To get our luggage to the room I had to put the cases in the lift, run upstairs and call the lift up as it was the size of a public phone box, there was no way of us both fitting in plus two suitcases. The rooms are very dark and dull, and are also tacky the beds were two singles pushed together with a headboard that had a built in radio (which didn't even work anyway lol)
After seeing the funny side of the hotel we decided to go to the pool. It wasn't anything special. The surrounding was uncut grass and there was a lot of ants around which wasn't very pleasant,but I guess that can't be helped. After you sit there for a while you will suddenly smell a funny odour that tends to comes at least every hour. The pool was weirdly quiet we was the only English there at the time and felt like an outcast. We felt awkward to enjoy ourselves in the pool as everyone just looked when you made a bit of a splash. Don't get excited with the facility of a jacuzzi, it's just a small pool. For the rest of the week we decided not to use the pool and walked to the beach which was only a ten minute walk as there isn't anything good about being there; food, drinks, atmosphere.
The hotel was generally clean, are towels were changed every day and our bedding was changed twice within the week.The staff were lovely and was always happy to help. We chose not to use the restaurant so I can't advise what it is was like.
We weren't really bothered if we had a pool view or not, because you only sleep in there at the end of the day however it would be nice not to have a 20ft satellite dish right outside your balcony. I don't know what it was for because the telly only picked up two channels.

We are the first to say people are exaggerating on this, and are just being too fussy, but this isn't the case, we are a laid back couple who try and see the funny side of things
We are disappointed but this a holiday we won't forget!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Matina? Share your experiences!