“Not So Sunset Hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 21 Specialty Lodging in Petra
Pontefract, England, United Kingdom
“Not So Sunset Hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

I had a few minor concerns about the hotel after seeing what mixed reviews it had. However, we decided to trust in the brochure and the photographs on the hotel's own website and expected a nice relaxing stay with friendly owners in newly refurbished rooms (as the website and photographs promised!). However, on arrival there was no one there to greet us, which was a first for me after many visits to Greece. We eventually found the owner, Stratos, smoking away in his office and got our room key. We then found our request for an upstairs room with a balcony had been ignored and we had a ground room. What's more, instead of the double room we had booked, we were given a twin room. Whilst the beds had been pushed together there was a good foot of wooden bed frame between the matresses, and this coupled with horrendous matresses made for the worst weeks sleep of my life and twinges in my back. It was most definitely not one of the spacious renovated rooms shown in the brochure and website. There was one tiny window in the whole apartment, no self-catering facilities despite what was advertised, and the bathroom was so small sitting on the toilet required dangling your feet in the shower. Further more, the wonderful power showers mentioned in other reviews were certainly not included in the apartments we were staying in, as ours dribbled out even when held at only a slight angle. Worse still, our bedsheets were not changed from Monday to the day we went home (Thursday).
To be honest, we could have dealt with all this as we're the type of couple who like to get out and about. However, after the first night they began closing the pool bar so we couldn't get drinks after our meal out. The one night they were open and we sat in for one drink the female owner was cleaning up around us and clucking her tongue and clearly couldn't wait for us to leave despite the earliness of the hour. They then began closing the hotel little by little over the remaining days; first they stopped cleaning the pool so it was full of leaves and scum, then they closed the bar, then they took away the majority of the sunbeds, and finally they took away all the breakfast area chairs barring 4 and put a tarpauline over the tables. For the couple remaining a week after us I dread to think what they left open!
I noticed before going as well that the owners themselves seemed to have quite mixed reviews; some people claimed they were aggressive and others said they were helpful and friendly. Quite frankly we found them downright rude. The female drifted about tutting and ignoring everyone, and Stratos only made very rare appearances (always puffing away on a cigarette) and was very abbrasive when he did. We asked him about local bus times, and he waved his arms and stomped off, before handing us a photocopy of the bus times then marching off without so much as a brief explanation on where the bus stops were. The most offensive behaviour, however, was that when we were sat outside our apartment having a drink at night they turned the lights out, knowing we were sat there and it still being early in the night. Often when we came back from our evening meal the lights would be off so we would not be able to see where we were going, which is dangerous as well as rude.
In all, we were really disappointed in the hotel. I can see it would be a nice hotel mid-season, when it's busier and they can be bothered; although even then it would be pot luck with the rooms. There are some adorable little cats that live there, and apparently their son usually runs the bar and is lovely (he had left for the season when we were there however). All the same, I was sufficiently unimpressed by the attitude they displayed towards the end of season to be unwilling to give them a chance mid-season. I certainly won't be staying there again, although I would like to go back to Petra. On a final pedantic note, you couldn't actually see the sunset from the hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

Slightly worried when I read a few of the reviews on here re the size of the balconies, however we were staying bed and breakfast and so got a larger room and very big balcony (Room 219 for those who wish to request it).
The beds were the most comfortable we've ever had in Greece, the bathroom was a wet room with a really good power shower, there was plenty of wardrobe space, a dressing table and a HUGE 3ft x 3ft mirror. The balcony was very private, with large walls between each one and about 9ft square. Sun rose over the mountains and was fully on the balcony for hours so the room got very hot, however the air conditioning was excellent and was 5 euros a day (we went in Sept 2011).
As we were bed and breakfast, we didn't expect any self catering facilities, however we had a small sink and drainer with a cupboard and decent fridge in the room. No cutlery or plates but we expected that and had brought our own (plastic plates for lightness and large coffee mug). We used a travel kettle to make coffees.
We were very very happy with our room, the hotel itself is incredibly clean, well kept and the pool, bar and dining areas are excellent.
The breakfast (8.30am till 10am) consisted of tea, coffee, fruit juices, bread, butter, jam, honey, marmalade, boiled eggs, cheese, ham, greek yoghurt, cereals. All beautifully served and eaten in the small courtyard underneath olive trees (surrounded by lovely little greek ginger kittens).
Only one complaint and this was not the hotel's fault - why oh why do parents think that it is okay to have their children running riot around other people, bellowing their heads off? I think after two days of this, the majority of breakfasters were incredibly relieved to see this particular family leaving.
We would recommend the Sunset Hotel, but would insist when booking - if possible - on a large balcony. There WERE some very small balconies to be seen, which we would have hated.
All in all an excellent hotel with very friendly staff. The owner (who seems to feature badly on some people's reviews), was very pleasant.
(15 minute walk from hotel into centre of Petra, be warned that if you want a taxi back from the Village, the taxi's appear to finish work by 11.30pm in September!)

Room Tip: Ask for Room 219. Large room, big balcony, excellent.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

nice, hotel, we tried to book a trip, but we were too late so we took a taxi instead, ok if you dont get car sick, would maybe hire a car next time, the room was nice but we booked a 2 room apartment and this was ok, but the aircon was only in one room so we had to leave the door open, so not very private, we could have just booked a one room apartment instead.

The hotel was nice, the pool great, the beach was only 5 mins walk away, and there were lots of nice places to eat.

the best island i have been to, the people in general were very friendly, i would recommend this place and hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Apollo

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

The whole of the hotel complex appears very newly refurbished. The room, bathroom and balcony were very spacious. Everywhere was very clean and well kept. Breakfast was al fresco under the Olive tree in the courtyard - magic. Family run hotel very friendly - don't know how people can dispute this, maybe they don't get Stratos' sens of humour. Harry is an excellent bar tender, very friendly, nothing is too much trouble. The mother is the cook and she's very good - she does a variety of european food and it is very tasty. There are no self catering facilities anymore - which we were expecting - but that is the Tour operators fault for not being up to date. They are pushing more and more for hotels to be all inclusive so boost their profit margins. In the end it wasn't a problem for us as you can get coffee any time you like at the hotel.

Petra is for people who like to spend all day at the beach. Apart from sunbath, eat and hunt for souvenirs there isn't much to do. However, we went to Molyvos by local bus everyday - which is a fantastic town, picturesque cobbled streets, lots of different shops, great castle, views to Turkey, fantastic restaurants - everywhere Petra and Molyvos. In Petra I recommend Christos on the main front - family run, fantastic food, really welcoming (not pushy). In Molyvos - make sure you walk all the way to the harbour because thats where the best restaurants are. Its a small harbour with about 8 restaurants all around it. You can literally eat your meal and watch the schools of fish swimming around the little boats. You can be assured that the fish is always fresh! Its literally a 10m round trip from boat to kitchen to plate. You can see wonderful sunsets from many of the restaurants. I reccomend The Seahorse restaurant in Molyvos harbour, they do warm toasted baps with your Greek salad (which is to die for everywhere!). The owner and his staff do everything they can to make your meal pleasant. He even bought us a drink!

What I noticed about Lesvos was how proud people were of their goods & services. The restaurants produced really good food and are very grateful for compliments. They don't mind one bit if you order a dish to share, they make sure their waiting staff attend to your every need and nothing is too much trouble. We bought some Olive oil for gifts in a shop and were chatting with the owner about Tomatoes - you just cannot get good tomatoes in the UK - and he just gave us a bag 'from my Father's farm'!

In the evening you can either chill out in the bars or visit the local cinema - open air! Films are in English with Greek subtitles - we watched Transformers and Harry Potter - tickets are 7 euro for adults but all the beer and sweets/popcorn is reasonably priced. The price of things has risen since we were last in Greece but with the economy thats not surprising. However, 35-40 euro for an evening meal for 2 will buy you much better quality food that the UK, with better service and bigger drinks and a much better view!

Don't be put off this hotel by some of the poor reviews - I'm picky - and this hotel was fine for me. Spacious, clean, not to big, picturesque - fruit trees everywhere (olive, lime, pomegranate, grapes). The beds were very comfortable, air con if you want it. Bathroom is a wet room.

I will say take your mosquito plug ins and your repellant and sting cream. For the 1st time ever in my life I got bitten to death on my legs - while out in the bars mainly. Also its recommended that you don't go bare foot in the sea as there are sea urchins - we did see many. You can buy those set suit shoes things for about 10euro everywhere.

If you're into wildlife go the the harbour in Molyvos then nip over the wall onto a rocky shore, follow it round to the right and it's rock pool paradise - no-one around either. Nice big tree to dump your stuff under while you explore.

There are a real variety of nationalities that visit Lesvos - English, dutch, Norwegian, Swedish, German, Greek. Everyone communicates in English too.

If we could afford more than one holiday each year we would go back - I'd be torn between booking Sunset again as it was a great place to stay or booking a hotel in Molyvos which has more things to do - taxis stop at about 2am or 3am and one night we got stuck! 40 minute walk at 4am was...an adventure.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

It's great fun to watch Fawlty Towers with John Cleese, but you probably wouldn't want to stay there. It's top comedy on screen, but not in real life. The Sunset Hotel in itself is ok enough (after greek standards) – but the owner just isn't, regardless of standards.

Me and my family went to Sunset Hotel with Apollo in the summer of 2011, and moved to another hotel after just two days, because we had had enough.

Examples: I told the owner that the curtains were stuck in the kitchen, and he yelled at me: "That's because you broke it!!! Now I have to call a repair-man to fix it, because of you." and then he started to imitate how I presumably should have broken it. "And why do you have the lights on at night? Not only in the bathroom, but in the kitchen and livingroom??"

I visited tripadvisor and realised I wasn't the first one that had encountered his rage. Other guests have written the same story.

If you are unlucky enough to stay there, and read this now, I can recommend nearly any other hotel in Anaxos, Petra or Molyvos.

I love Greece and Lesvos, but next time I'll check with Tripadvisor first.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

Stayed here for two weeks in June 2011. Had a great time ! A very friendly family run hotel with about 43 rooms. Rooms are kept very clean. Harry the son works the bar and Efstratios his father looks after the reception and business as a whole. Mother works in the kitchen and provides a range of meals in the evening - in addition to a simple breakfast - if one doesn't wish to walk into town. They never say no to any request ! Most of all they smile and are very service minded....with a sense of humour ! Set in beautiful gardens......and there is a good sized pool where the kids can have fun. Petra is a quiet place (perfect !) and mainly aimed at older couples without kids and families with young children (in my opinion). The rooms are simple and clean...do not expect 5 star luxury - you are not paying for it ! Greek style !
I spent the first week alone....and Harry and Efstratios entertained me all the time when I was around the hotel.....great people and wonderful service. The second week I was joined by a friend,.....and they went out of their way to make sure she (and I) was happy in every respect....a big thank you to you all ! Lovely room....
The hotel lies about 400 mtrs down a lane from the main road / nearest beach area....a pleasant walk...and remember some apples for the horse ! No traffic noise....just the rooster in the morning and some sheep / goats in the distance - wonderful. Walk another 300 mtrs along the main road into town for the better beach area....with tavernas.
The hotel is kept very clean....rooms and garden / surrounding area.....some hard working young ladies see to this.
In Petra I enjoyed dining at the Mermaid Restaurant - run by Stamatis with his mother in the kitchen.......food was fresh and well cooked. A meek and hard working Nikos helps out with the serving - really friendly place. Stamatis teaches English locally in winter.
For a change take a taxi over the hill (only about ten minutes and Euro 12) to Molyvos. A very interesting small historic town. Can start at the fortress at the top and walk through the narrow streets down to the harbour where a good dinner can be enjoyed ! (I liked the Sea Horse by the waters edge).
The beach in Petra was fine...a large long sandy beach...sun beds tend to be free if you eat / drink in the associated restaurant. The only thing they could improve on is the layer of stones just as you enter the water.....a strip about a metre across...one could clear a path through these......suggest using bathing shoes. Otherwise the water was very clean and clear.....great !
The majority of guests at the hotel were from Sweden, followed by the UK, Norway and Denmark...whilst I was there.
Thank you Hotel Sunset for a very enjoyable holiday.....and the Mermaid Restaurant !
A friendly quiet relaxing place....just what I wanted ! Wish you all a wonderful summer !

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Weston village
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011 via mobile

Above average small b@b hotel,very relaxing ,basic but clean rooms cleaned every day,nice bar and pool area.definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011

Been to Sunset Hotel? Share your experiences!