“Brighton England "Loved it"” 4 of 5 stars

Meltemi Village
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Perissa, Perissa 84703, Greece   |
Ranked #10 of 42 hotels in Perissa
Brighton
“Brighton England "Loved it"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2008

We booked through "First Choice" When we arrived at Meltemi Village, we were pleasantly suprised of how lovely it looked, flowers hanging around the doors, we had a lovely little studio room near the pool it had a lovely little patio with table & chairs. Cleaners were lovely the room was cleaned everyday & towels were changed everyday. The reception staff were lovely & helpful. We had a problem with the bathroom one day and we reported it and they fixed it the sameday!
The breakfast in the morning was nice, overlooking the pool but if you wanted a fryup along the road was a good little place to eat.
We loved the place and would go back! You need a car to get around the Island and the hotel can sort that for you.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bar closing at 4pm
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

211 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

We stayed in the same apartment on the far corner and I too was expecting the brightly coloured flowers on the white washed buildings but it wasn't to be! Having said that we thoroughly enjoyed this holiday and I wouldn't hesitate recommending this accomodation. The rooms were cleaned daily with fresh towels and the staff were very friendly and pleasant. The air conditioning was a godsend (at no extra cost) and it really worked! The pool area was great and our 2 young children absolutely loved it. It was always clean and there were plenty of loungers at any time of day. Although the pool bar closed around 4pm there was a bar belonging to the Meltemi just at the front and you could still order food/drink there and they would bring it round to the pool for you. The food was nice and reasonably priced. The complex was very peaceful yet you were within minutes walking distance from the main area of the resort. There was also a water park across the road with a shallow pool for little ones and 3 large slides but once again the children loved it and at 7 euros each for adults (5 if you didn't want to use the large slides) it was affordable to do more than once. There was also a bus stop just outside the complex where regular buses took you to Fira ( 2 euros each). The lack of pavements was a bit of a problem with young children but so long as you were responsible it didn't need to be a problem and I think it just added to the character of this little resort and the whole island. Having heard some of the horror stories of other people holidaying in the resort in different accomodation I really think that we had one of the best.

• Liked — The pool area
  • Disliked — The shower!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Poole
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2008

Well, I must say I am very interested to read the recent reviews about the Meltemi Village which appear far more real than the ones prior to July 2008! Leading up to my holiday, I read the reviews on the Trip Advisor and was really looking forward to my arrival. My dream was white washed buildings with coloured doors and beautiful flowers in the surrounding areas however this was not the reality!

After travelling through the night, I arrived with my friend in Perissa. Initial impressions were good..amazing views on the way to the resort and the accommodation looked good. We were taken to our studio by the receptionist who seemed friendly enough, passed beautiful white washed buildings with coloured paint and flowers above the door, dropping off fellow travellers on the way. Then we turned a corner towards our room and the whole appearance changed. Our studio was the furthest away from the reception, was on a windy corner, in a gravel pit. There were no flowers around the door and they hadn't bothered even finishing off painting the doors and windows, just left the undercoat on!! Our view was of a wall with the mountain behind.

The positive aspect of the room was that it was very clean with free air con. The maids were extremely friendly and always left fresh towels. It was just disappointing to be so far from the pool and felt so isolated from the rest of the hotel.

I would disagree that the pool smelt of chlorine or that the pool wasn't clean. I thought the pool area was a major plus point to this hotel and the only debris was blown in by the strong winds but removed by the next day. The only thing I would say is that it was disappointing the pool bar shut at around 4 or 5 when it was possible to sit outside til 8ish.

We too were affected by the 5 hour delay on the way home. Having travelled extensively, I know 'these things happen' however I felt the whole situation could have been dealt with better. The reps were well aware there was a delay before they picked us up and as the airport is about 15/20 mins away, they could have left us in resort. Their argument for this was that there would be too many people in the resort. This is rubbish as the incoming plane was still at Gatwick!! We were told to congregate at a taverna which was far better than being sat in the terminal building however I would agree that a toasted sandwich and 1 drink in 5 hours hardly kept us going!!

Overall, although I enjoyed the holiday, I felt that the brochure and previous reports on here were misleading and have tried to be as honest as possible for future travellers. Happy holidays!!

• Liked — Pool area
  • Disliked — Not completed, disjointed, repetative Bob Marley at the hotel bar
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

After reading the latest review posted, I would like to provide a totally different opinion on the Meltemi Village. My girlfriend and I stayed for 2 weeks.

To start with when you travel you should have an open mind.
Remember you are getting what you paid for and the Meltemi isn't a 5 star hotel and doesn't claim to be.

Our room was pleasant. Clean when we arrived and cleaned everyday with fresh towels and sheets provided. The Air conditioning was an added bonus which meant we could have a comfortable night's sleep. The bed was a little hard but we both had no issues getting a good night's sleep. The apartment had a good sized patio with a table and 3 chairs.

The pool area was well maintained and didn't smell of chlorine. The pool bar/restaurant provided and excellent service and was priced fairly in line with the rest of the resort.

I can't comment about the hotel staff as I didn't ever have to make contact with them from day 1 which must have been a good sign??

We were warned about the roads when we arrived so was fully expecting the worst. If you keep your wits about you there should be no issues with traffic. There are indeed no pavements but remember this isn't a built up area, it's a small holiday resort.

There is quite a good choice of bars and tavernas along the main road and the beach road. With the exchange rate at the moment the prices are not that cheap but we could eat and drink out every night for under £50 (we went out after the meal every night).

I agree that it is definitely better to ignore the trips offered by the Travel Agents as if you cross the road you can get the same trip for nearly half the price!!

The only problem we had with the whole holiday was our journey home. We flew with First Choice and our flight was delayed by 5 hours!!! We weren't happy campers!!! We had to wait in a taverna across the road from the airport for nearly 5 hours and was only provided with 1 little bottle of water and a toasted sandwich. I was thinking...what if people had spend all their remaining Euros and couldn't afford to buy anymore drinks?? I thought the agents could have been a little more generous.

Overall we really enjoyed our holiday. Remember to travel with an open mind otherwise the holiday will never reach your expectations!!!!

• Liked — Pool Area
  • Disliked — Shower could be a little better
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
derbyshire england
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

The brochure description for this aparthotel say that there are 55 newly refurbished rooms. What they don't mention is that there are also about 15 which have not been touched for about 20 years and are right at the back of the complex overlooking a building site and a junk yard, and it seems that these are the allocation for all Thompson guests. We complained immediately we saw the room, as it was very small and very tired. The bathroom ceiling was falling down, the fridge was rusty, the TV did not work - generally not what we had expected. We were third in line behind other Thomson guests complaining, and were told that there were no more rooms to transfer us to (not true as guests depart to different European destinations every day and they could have moved us around) and there was nothing to be done. The only alternative they could come up with was to move us to another hotel which would cost an additional €600 each!! We decided that we would jut have to make the best of things as we only had a week there. The pool is lovely, the towels were changed every day, and if the rooms were of the brochure standard it would have been superb, HOWEVER BE WARNED THAT IF YOU BOOK WITH THOMSONS BE PREPARED TO BE DISAPPOINTED

• Liked — Pool area is great with loads of sunbeds and a great bar
  • Disliked — older rooms are digusting - like prison cells
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

THE HOTEL

Room was OK. Clean. A/C and lights were working only if the key knob was inserted in a slot, which made us become ingenious and detach the knob from the key and leave it in continuously so we can return to a cool room after a day in the sun.
The mattress is a bit hard and the pillows are very hard. They could not provide any alternative so I can really say I rested well.
We got a room with a Jacuzzi but this was not working. When we told the manager of the hotel he said sarcastically that we didn't pay for the Jacuzzi.
The TV was not working and they couldn't bring themselves to fix it at all during our 7 days stay.
Daily Housekeeping service, changing towels and moping the floor. No dusting though. Sheets were changed every 3 days.
As it's a hot place expect power shortcuts.
Swimming pool smelled strongly of chlorine and I found out that no one was actually monitoring the chlorine levels.

SERVICE

Breakfast didn't offer the greatest variety but it was just OK. It is open from 8 to 10 but the omelet would come at 8:20 and the croissants would come at 8:30. Orange juice was made from the cheapest concentrate and I've only tried it once. Did appreciate the watermelon on the buffet.
The pool bar food and service were OK, decent prices. Unfortunately it was closing for food at 4pm and the only options offered by the hotel were a club mainly for drinks (we wanted to eat there once and they told us that the oven was not working) and a restaurant on the beach (10 minutes away) which we didn’t try at all.
Receptionists were not necessarily the most helpful and friendly people. I asked one evening for a power plug adaptor but the receptionist had no idea what I was talking about. Then I asked for a mobile phone charger and she went on to explain about their telephone charges in the room.

THE RESORT

Summer holidays to Perissa did not fulfill all our getaway dreams but our nightmares! There were life-threatening dangers at every step in Perissa and on the entire island. The “resort” doesn’t have sidewalks and people have to actually walk on the same lanes with the cars and scooters. Not to mention the recklessness of the occasional drivers on the island. We had to make sure we avoided all these street dangers whenever we were getting out of the hotel.
There are plenty of taverns in the resort. If you're lucky to find a good one from the start then you might as well stick with it. We went a few times to Grandma's Recipe on the main road, right in front of the hotel and the food was OK. We also went to Forum on the beach front and that was a disaster. Overpriced and bad food. As soon as we sat at the table we were served bread and two dips that we didn't order but we got charged on the bill 5 Euros. We only ordered main course, fish with French fries. The French fries arrived quickly, before the fish and we had to eat it before they got cold. So we had to order another plate of French fries. The fish we got was terrible and we could not eat it but the waiter couldn't be bothered. The lady sitting at the table next to us ordered a salad for starter and pasta for main. The main was brought to her table less than 5 minutes after her starter and puzzled look on her face said a thousand words. We are not the complaining type and we didn't complain on this occasion but I now wish we had.
Then, you have the BEACH. Let me tell you the exact truth about the beach. The way into the water is dangerous as you have to walk on slippery rocks. Also, this beach is not sheltered from the summer winds at all. The strong winds in Perissa are a rule not an exception. Any local can confirm that to you. Due to these strong winds the sun beds and the umbrellas on the beach are a safety hazard. On the last day of our holiday my husband and I have been injured on the beach managed by Forum restaurant by heavy steel umbrellas that had been lifted in the air by an extreme wind. As there were no lifeguards or medical assistance anywhere on the entire beach, we were left to chance to find someone who could provide first aid and call the ambulance. We will be forever grateful to Vassilis, the kind diving instructor from the Mediterranean Diving Center who ran to help us. We ended up spending the last day on our holiday in Fira hospital getting treatment. My husband has a flesh wound on his left calf, a nice 3 inch diameter and 1 inch deep hole in his leg. I have a bruised and swollen ankle. As you can imagine, these injuries require treatment back in UK as well.

The tap water is sea water desalinated on the island. Yes, you guessed it, it tasted horribly. You're better off using still water event to wash your teeth. Also, for some unknown reason, they ask you not to flush the used toilet paper but to put it in a bin (quite disgusting).

We bought a day trip to the main touristic sites of Santorini. The coach that took us to the boat was half hour late. Then the driver was speeding down tight serpentines on the way to the port and I trully feared for my life. Don't trust the travel rep when they assure you that the cruise boat would not be crowded, you have to be a bit naive to believe it.

Santorini is a volcanic island so earthquakes should not surprise you. We had the pleasure of going through one during our holiday.

Don't expect a nice green island, the scenery is deserted and it looks like any plant you see was brought to the island. Don't expect any park, meadow, trees (I know, this is a bit funny expectation)

THOMSON

We have booked this holiday on the Thomson website.
We saw the Thomson rep in Perissa when we came back from the hospital and all he could say was that he feels sorry for us. He could not arrange for us to have larger seats on the plane or preferential boarding.
Watch out for the trips sold to you by travel reps, they are way overpriced. We eventually bought the one day trip and cruise to the main sights of Santorini for half the price promoted by Thomson.
We have decided to post this review as this was truly the worst holiday we have ever been on. We feel cheated by the Thomson guides and we don’t trust Thomson with travel or holiday advice ever again. Needless to say that we will make sure all our friends avoid their services! We turned to a travel agency to package a holiday for us but it proved that we were doing a much better job until now booking the holidays on our own. It was an overpriced holiday and it contained a lot of hidden extra charges that kept adding to the total price. Over all, we ended up spending nearly 1,500 pounds on this 7 days holiday (including the money spent on the resort on food and drinks, travel to and from Gatwick, extra money to have seats next to my husband) and we deeply regret it as we are sure we could have gotten much better value for money in many other places.

• Liked — The fact that there was A/C in the room
  • Disliked — Jacuzzi and TV not working
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

We booked the Metemi Suites some six months prior to turning up on their doorstep to find the original manager had left and the new manager had moved us to Meltemi Village just up the road - on the main Perissa mode to me precise.

Begrudgingly we made our way in the heat with our luggage to the hotel and before checking in had to listen to three couples moaning because their check in had been managed incorrectly.

After nearly an hour we managed to get "our turn" and then were asked to wait a moment whilst one of the original three parties came back complaining about the state of their room.

Finally, upon checking into the hotel, we were given our three rooms (myself, my partner and our 18 month old son in one room, her parents in another and her aunty and uncle and the third) wer were presented with, without doubt, the worst accomodation I had seen ever.

Complaints went unheard and we finally decided to put it down as a bad job and get on with our holiday the best we could.

Perissa is a lovely place and having looked around, we decided to go back to the pool for a while. This was our first mistake - the pool wasn't clean (lots of debris in it) and was also completely shaded by 5pm - a welcome break I guess for people who don't like the sun! The pool bar was also shut.

The next day we stumbled upon the nearby Hotel Gardenia and without hesitation moved our luggage there before getting into an argument with the hotel about refunding our deposit less a nights stay. Finally the did the right thing - which was the only positive thing they did during our stay!

I personally would never recommend this hotel - a few rooms have been refurbished and you have to be VERY lucky to get in there - the vast majority, however, have not!

• Liked — Getting a deserved refund
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Meltemi Village? Share your experiences!