“Fantastic, gorgeous, splendid Views! I think you get the point :)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sunset Hotel to your Saves list
Sunset Hotel
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Firostefani 84700, Greece   |
Ranked #7 of 13 Firostefani B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic, gorgeous, splendid Views! I think you get the point :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel sells itself just because of the views and it didn't disappoint us at all. Luckily we didn't have any issues with the shower or the water flow. We were in room 15 and it had the basics that one needs but I have noticed that the beds in greek hotels do seem to be a little harder - even the hotel we stayed in Athens had hard beds. But that's a minor problem with the gorgeous view from the balcony. It was a joy to wake up to such views and have breakfast overlooking the sea- it was the perfect way to unwind and relax. The owner was quite helpful the day we checked in. Breakfast can be a little boring if you stay there for longer. There are amazing restaurants on the same street - we loved Pirouni and Aktaion was good. The bus stop is across the road and the main Fira bus stop is a short walk away. One can walk up to the cable cars to get to the old port so overall really good location as well. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

113 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Greek first
yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Yes, the sunsets from here are breathtaking; each evening different and beautiful. Stayed here for 3 nights during our island hopping holiday and were not disappointed; we were looked after very well by the staff and owners. Nek arranged transport for us from the port so someone met us off the ferry with our name on his board which avoided any hassle on arrival. Lovely welcome chat with Maria and delicious breakfasts were served individually to each room on a tray which we enjoyed on the terrace with terrific views. Shops and restaurants close by; the traditional greek restaurants were very good and less expensive, and we particularly enjoyed the Aktaion just a few minutes walk away. There is a lovely walk up to the next village with superb views all the way and with a bus stop just a few minutes away it is possible to explore other parts of the island without hiring transport; the fares are quite inexpensive, pay on the bus or buy at the bus station in the main town Fira.

oldham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Absolutely loved this bed and breakfast hotel.The owner Nek was a lovely helpful man, Maria served breakfast and kept the rooms so clean,and Irene the receptionist was lovely.The view was to die for and each evening we would sit on the balconly watching the sunset whilst having a wine or ouzo.They say Oia is the best place to watch the sunset but although it was amazing watching it from there,it was even better from the hotel.The breakfast was the same every morning,but there was a lot of choice and it was brought to our room.
The hotel is sittuated in the quiet resort of Firostafani,but there are still plenty of restaurant very close by and it is about ten min walk to Fira the capital.The island is just beautiful,i have been to a lot of Greek islands but this is by far my favourite.Just wished I had booked a longer stay because we visited Perrisa the day before we left and that was so different from Firostafani with a lovely beach and resort,it is only a small island but we didn't give ourselves enough time to see the rest of it because we were enjoying the resorts on the west of the island so much.

Room Tip: All rooms were facing the volcano the sunset and an island.We were very luck to get the middle room...
Fitchburg, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

This hotel is a gem. All the rooms face the sea and sunsets.The view from the rooms and patio is simply breathtaking. It's located just a short walk from all the action in Fira in the heart of Firostephani yet it was always so peaceful out on the patio. We booked three rooms with two beds each and they were all nice. One of the bathrooms could use a facelift and one of the beds (in a room that also had a double bed) was more like a cot, but otherwise they were very clean we were happy with the rooms. It took us a while to get checked in because we arrived mid-morning well before check in time. We were glad they wanted to make sure our rooms were clean and didn't rush it, but still let us check in early. Meanwhile we relaxed on the patio and explored a little and found a great coffee shop behind the hotel that had beer on tap and homemade pastries and a fun vibe. We added that to our home base. The hotel breakfast was really nice. We loved the yogurt and honey, toast and cheese, and chocolate on cake. Nick or Maria brought us coffees out on the patio every morning before we sat down to breakfast. We spent time in the hot tub (really more of a warm tub) and lobby/bar area and enjoyed both immensely. We explored the walkways along the cliffs down to Fira and up to Imerovigli. We had a wonderful stay and would definitely stay there again if we are ever blessed and lucky enough to be on Santorini again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

My husband, 5 year old son and I recently spent 5 nights at the Sunset Hotel. We found everything to be pretty terrific about this place and considered it to be very well priced. The views are of course fantastic. But there is a lot more to this hotel than just the views. Breakfast was great, delivered within 5 minutes each morning to our choice of location (room, caldera table or private caldera balcony table) by the ever-present Maria. It was an ample breakfast consisting of a bowl of yoghurt with honey, toast, selection of toppings, cake, coffee/tea, juice, egg, and hot chocolate for my son. The rooms were spotless and I felt completely comfortable using the supplied plates and cutlery in our small kitchenette, whereas that has not always been the case in many other pensions/hotels we have stayed in on our travels. It's because I know nothing is left unwashed by Maria :-). The room (room 13) was a generous size for 3 people. The bathroom was renovated, neat and spotless. Yes, the bathrooms are small but this is Greece and Santorini hasn't always had its own supply of water so I don't expect large bathrooms in the islands. The location was good. Far enough from the nightlife of Fira but close enough for my son to walk to Fira often. Thank you Nek for organising our taxi on the last day - we managed to catch one in the square before you arrived. A great little hotel at a very fair rate considering that view - highly recommended

Room Tip: All rooms open onto the caldera. Our room (13) was spacious and quiet. There was always plenty of...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Colchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

If you are going to stay in this hotel, be prepared to live as if in a desert. First, the reception staff is very rarely present at the location; when we arrived, we had to wait for an hour before we could check in.
Second, the shower is the worst I've ever seen in my entire life (and I've lived in many two or three-starred hotels): the water only worked for five minutes continuously, after which it would stop for at least twenty minutes- and don't be fooled by what the reception staff says, the water works fine in any other hotel besides Sunset Hotel. Once the water stopped for a whole hour while I was washing myself and, after waiting for a while, I went to the reception staff covered in soap complaining about it. However, the staff was not bothered one bit by what I had said, which prompted me to cancel the rest of my stay and move to a better hotel. Furthermore, the shower head was broken so that when taking a shower water would be splashing from everywhere; replacing it should have been an easy business ( I could have done it myself) but the hotel staff didn't bother and instead was only willing to offer us another room which, however, had two single beds. To top it off, the bathroom is incredibly small.
All in all, I found out myself that all the previous positive reviews were very misleading. Indeed, the view is beautiful but that does not compensate the horrible living conditions (given its price) and the staff which treated us with the least respect- I continuously had a feeling that they were saying to me "you should be grateful that we allow you to live in this beautiful place, do not bother us since there will always be someone else willing to take your room".

Room Tip: I agree with the previous reviewer from 8th of September: the rooms close to the check-in office are...
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Sunset Hotel recently and we were disappointed. Of course the views were fantastic which we could see from the balcony from the hotel. However, the service was disappointing. Since there was no breakfast buffet you had to ask for your breakfast each morning which took over 25 minutes to get. When it did arrive it was very cheaply done with a cup of boxed orange juice, 1 hard boiled egg, yogurt and bread. The person who brought the breakfast also had an attitude which made you not want to ask in the first place! The water was continuously not working which was not a problem of the island but rather the hotel itself. The cost of the hotel was not reflected in the service. I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to stay in rooms further from the check in desk as they are bigger
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunset Hotel? Share your experiences!