“Irresponsible” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
“Irresponsible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Recently I stayed at Sunset hotel for 3 nights.
The reason I decided on Sunset was the free transportation from/to the port/airport.
On my day of departure, the ride was supposed to come and pick me up at 5:45 am for my 7 am flight. I waited at the spot where I was dropped 3 days earlier, agreed the day before with Nek, the manager/owner.
6:05 am, still no sign of a ride. So I walked towards town with my luggage. Luckily, a car drove by, and gave me a ride to Fira. From there I took a cab to the airport.
Nek knew that my cell wasn't working, and I didn't have the number of the driver anyway.
I could have missed my flight.
I have emailed Nek twice, and he hasn't responded. No apologies either. Totally irresponsible.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
Dorking
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

My friend and I stayed in this hotel in May12 and had a really great experience. The hotel owner was really friendly and had plenty of advice on things to do. The hotel is off the road on the hillside so very quiet and peaceful. We took full advantage of the hot tub out on the balcony too! You can do a walk down the caldera to get into Fira, which can be very windy as its along the sea front. Very pretty walk, although if you planning to go into town most nights (which we did) we only did the caldera walk once or twice; after that we went up to the main road and walked that way! Not so windswept when we got to the bars and its a little bit quicker too.
The hotel was clean and although the sunset views are supposed to be better in oia, i think you'd be hard pushed to find a better, more peacful view... and its right on the doorstep of your room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights from 23rd April. We were met at the ferry and fortunately we had organised this as the ferry terminal was chaotic and most certainly not within walking distance of Firostefani, in fact it was about a 10 minute drive! There is no vehicular access to the hotel as it is one of the hotels on the side of the hill, however it was only a short walk from the carpark and not too many steps. The view is just amazing and as we were welcomed with a bottle of wine we certainly took advantage of the balcony and the sunset. Our room was quite small but certainly comfortable. Breakfast was more than adequate and we ate dinner both nights at Siros Taverna just a 5 minute walk down the road. It was a slightly longer walk to the town centre, but certainly not off-putting. As other reviewers have said, Fira is very touristy which makes this hotel a haven and very reasonably priced. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I had read in previous reviews to ask for a room to the left of the stairs which I did. Our room wa...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

We spent a few days at Sunset Hotel in May. There is not much I can add to the other reviews other then I fully agree with all the excellent reviews. The location can not be beat. One day I went to Fira when 6 (SIX) cruise ships were in, it was hot, smell of donkey doo on the edge of the caldera everywhere, and I thought to myself:"thank God we picked Firostefani and not Fira". Firostefani is a beautiful caldera 10-15 minute walk or a shorter main road walk away from Fira. But you have all you need in Firostefani, other then the never-ending supply of cruise ship tourists' knick knacks that you find everywhere in Fira. Nek is a wonderful host, he helped us out with everything we needed: car rental, volcano/hot springs boat tour, finding out if our ferry was cancelled or not, tips for visiting the island etc. The car rental through Sunset is an excellent deal and so dont bother booking on your own if you need a car. We rented the car 1 evening, drove ourselves to Oia (the local "Oia sunset" bus is a hit/miss experience), then we toured the island following day, returned the car 24 hrs later and the rental company drove us to the ferry port. I felt that was definitely a way to go unless you have plenty of time to stretch it a little. Overall, the hotel staff and location made our stay absolutely perfect and I can not imagine what could have been better.....other then the ferry ride off the island in "hurricane" force winds...but that is a different story....:)

Room Tip: All the rooms have the same view. Ours was the 3-person room since I wanted 2 separate beds. It is c...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

This hotel is not a Versace or Hilton or not even as glamorous as all the nice places around it, but the price makes up for all that because it's right in the middle of the best location on the island. You don't need to climb down 100 stairs like most places, this has 15; you don't have 40 rooms with noisy tourists, this has 9! You get a cute suite with sitting area, plenty of bed space and a fair size bathroom, plus outside dining and lounge areas. And the jacuzzi with the million dollar view is to die for. It's a bit posh at half the price and less. 5/5 :))

• Stayed April 2012
Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

My mom, grandmother, and I stayed in this hotel for my graduation trip last May, and it was by far the most amazing experience we have ever had. The owner, Nik, is one of the most friendly, caring people we met on our trip, and he truly wanted to make our trip unforgettable. The rooms were cozy, clean, and the breakfast was amazing (a HUGE bowl of Nutella to put on tons of pastries). We are planning a trip for this summer abroad, and it has been the hardest thing to not want to just go back here, because it truly felt like home. Great location, easy bus access, and perfect accommodations. We enjoyed many nights on the balcony talking to Nik and drinking Greek wine while overlooking the beautiful ocean!

P.S. while you are in Santorini, you can save your money on the volcano sunset tour. you get better views of the sunset from this hotel and the rest of the tour is kind of a waste!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Hialeah, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

We stayed here in September 2011. From the moment we checked in Nek the attendant/owner helped us with our luggage at the entrance, he checked us in and gave us a map with all the important places to visit and where to eat. Their breakfast was good and plentiful. The views from the hotel are great. You really feel like you are staying with family. The room we stayed in is small but had a little fridge so you can keep your drinks cold. I have no complaints.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Sunset Hotel? Share your experiences!