“Perfect. Look no further.” 5 of 5 stars

Mill Houses Elegant Suites
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Firostefani | Santorini, Firostefani 84700, Greece   |
Ranked #11 of 20 hotels in Firostefani
London
“Perfect. Look no further.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Arriving in Santorini by ferry, a hotel rep came to collect us. It's complementary with your stay they said so who would we be to turn it down. Our large van weaved through the Santorini hills and our young driver described what we were going passed and where his favourite parts of the island. Arriving at the hotel car park, he carried our bags down through the snaking path through the caldera. I cannot begin to tell you how heavy our bags were and how many steps there are. It be managed.

The check in was very easy as they knew we were coming and everything was all ready. The view is just stunning. The disappearing edge opens out into the sea with the volcanic island rising out. Our room was ready and they carried our bags down.

THE ROOM: we were in room 105 (recommended), a junior suite. It is a cave style room and just incredible. All white with curtains and round ceilings and a mezzanine area. Our own kitchen and very spacious bathroom. We were slack jawed. And then our welcome glasses of local soft fizz arrived. The room also has an iPod music dock.

BREAKFAST: this is preordered each day and they bring breakfast down to your room or outside on the pool terrace - as you like. We, being greedy, had sparkling wine, fruit, eggs, local pastries every morning. This is made off site and brought to you everyday.

SERVICE: flawless. They booked restaurants, made recommendations, booked cars, day excursions, dropped us off at the airport etc. All great. The shaved head Croatian guy is phenomenal, friendly and well- informed. There are 5* hotels that could really learn a thing or two from this guy.

VALUE: so we found a good online deal and we could not believe our luck. Santorini and Caldera views don't come cheap. This is perfect is perfect for honeymoons and romantic weekends. At 3x the price we would find this place great value.

LOCATION: in terms if where it is in the island, it's great and easier if you have a car. In terms of in Fira, it's about a 15 min walk into town. You need to be fit. There's a lot of stairs coming up from the hotel. If you need disabled access I'm not sure if this is a practical place to stay but you will have this all around the caldera.

It's a must stay. We are so glad we went.

• Stayed March 2013

491 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

One of the best experiences we had. Dimitris took care of all the details:
The transport from and to the airport was great, they were on the airport on our arrival, and picked us up from Fira the day we left (we went to buy some stuff to Fira and Dimitris told us to wait him in downtown Fira instead to have us to go back to the hotel)
The breakfast was superb, fresh, excellent, many options and took a couple of minutes to get it after we call reception. The day before they give you a menu from which you select your breakfast options for the day after. Also the day before you get in your room not only the menu but a weather forecast for the nex day. One day we received a letter in the room from the management letting us know the reasons of some red stains in the floor of the hotel and the pathways of Firostefani: was sand coming from the desert!.
Dimitris advised us on what to do on Santorini, a lot of recommendations, he booked for us a great tour to the volcano and also arranged with the rental company a car for us which we rented for a couple of days.
But the most amazing thing we experienced was that the day before my wife's birthday i asked Dimitris where I could get a birthday cake?, instead to let me know a bakery near by, he organized everything (from the kind of cake, flavours, size, etc.), and he even arranged to have the cake's dedication written in other language. Next day when we came back to the hotel, we opened the door and there it was: the cake and the candle!, i also have to say it was a delicious cake and beautifully decorated. My wife was so surprised, I think she had a memorable birthday!
The crew of the millhouses was very kind and helpful. The room was excellent, clean, well decorated, great views of the caldera and the volcano. It has a private jacuzzi in front of the room close to the terrace which we didn´t use (winter!).
About Santorini is a beatiful island, a lot of things to do (even in winter when most of the hotels, restaurants and shops are closed). We went to the Akrotiri archeaological site, ancient Thera and the beaches of Perissa where you can find many taverns looking to the sea. There are a lot of Wineries but we hadn't time to visit them, but a lady we met in the volcano tour told us that the wineries visit was a great thing to do.
Don't miss the travel in donkeys to or from the old port, is just amazing!
Will we go back to Santorini?, of course, but now in summer as Dimitris recommended us.
Will we go back to the Mill Houses?, of course!, no doubt about that.
If one day tripadvisor decides to add one more star the the rating, Mill Houses will get that star without hesitation!.

Room Tip: we had room 107 with great views of the caldera nad the volcano.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Beirut, Lebanon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

As I promised Dimitrios to write a review, I guess it took me about 6 month to get around to it. But here it is:
I booked the place online from their website, after going through a filtering process of 130 hotels in Santorini. I am control freak, and since this is my honeymoon, I wanted it to be perfect. I was very hesitant when i booked the place, and I had so many concerns, because as you know pictures online are never really like the real thing, but after harassing Dimitrios for a while, asking him so many questions, I went ahead with it.
We reached Santorini around noon and I was concerned about the ride to the hotel, so we went out of the Airport and there was nobody waiting for us. I panicked for about 5 minutes until Nenate came in with the sign and I found comfort in the fact that there was something to pick us up. Now i was thinking to myself during the ride to the hotel, "Ok well they were late but at least they came" and I really was worried about the place as I did not see it live before.

Nenate explained that he was washing the car, and the guy really seemed very friendly and we had a nice conversation while going to the hotel. As I reached the place and went down the stairs, I was hoping to find a nice hotel with a nice view, but what i found was really more than that. The place was amazingly heavenly, the view just took me away. The pictures don't even begin to describe it, You have a nice little pool, so cozy and so private, an amazing view of the sea and the island. You actually wake up in the morning and have your breakfast directly on the terrace with the view in front of you.

I have to specify that all this is nice, but Dimitrios, Nenate and all of the staff was so immensely friendly. I mean yes you want the place to be clean, proper and everything, but have a staff that is so friendly can make the place even better. Dimitrios who's the manager of the place, provided everything to us, tips about how to go to places, where to go, what to rent, which is cheaper and has a better experience, what to wear while walking on the volcano. He was right about something he said: "It's not important to know a lot of people, what's important is to know one person who knows a lot of people", that's Dimitrios. While we took our luggage going back, he even provided a room for us in a neighboring hotel, because we checked out earlier than our flight, he provided a room free of charge for us to shower in and have some rest while we waited for our ride back to the airport.

I promised him i would write a great review and that's our story in Santorini.
I would definitly stay there again, and nowhere else. I even subscribed in their members club to get discounts and offers, and we're planning to go back there soon.

Room Tip: Any room you pick will be amazing!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed here in winter, so accommodation options were limited. Fira is quiet, Oia even more so. But we were hardly disappointed - jet-blue skies and temperatures warm enough for t-shirt and shorts were our reward for venturing to Santorini in winter. And, of course, far less tourists. More spectacular sunsets too, according to the staff – the crisp air of winter amplifies them, apparently.

The Mill House has a great location, half-way down the caldera face a little out of Fira itself (so a car is handy to have, just for nipping into town - otherwise it’s a long walk uphill with a full belly after dinner). The view couldn’t be much better, right at the mid-point of a crescent in the caldera face, and looking towards a spectacular bluff and with islands in the distance. Rooms spill down the cliff-face from the small reception, and the overall ambience of the place is - as you’d expect - crisp white. The pool serves as a de facto common area, though for those staying higher/lower it might not feel natural to head up/down there to hang out.

Our room (#109) was a small one underneath the main reception. Being small, it was cheap - and being winter, and paying in cash, it was cheaper still. I won’t say how much, but looking at the prices quoted online, it was very good value. However, it did come with some compromises - the layout is cramped, with the bed pushed hard against the wall on one side; and space to store and place things is at a premium. There is however a small stove & sink, so simple DIY meals would be a possibility if one were so inclined. Tables & chairs both inside and out provided versatility for dining location (or the poolside deck also is a possibility).

Our bathroom was OK, again a little cramped and with some quirks (no shower curtain means wet floors; and a small window has no curtain, so privacy can be a concern). Also problematic was roller shutters that didn’t entirely block the window, making the room very bright at night. The room also was a bit noisy, with regular ‘tap-tap’ sounds of things being moved around above. Noisy and bright is not ideal for restful sleep, but we did well enough.

Breakfasts were well-intentioned, but my wife and I came to realize that cooked breakfasts are just not a Greek thing. Better to stick with their more traditional Greek-style breakfast. This is through no fault of the staff; in fact they are a highlight of the place - cheery, helpful, attentive. In particular the free pick-up/drop-off to the airport was appreciated (in John’s own car no less).

Overall, at the price we paid, no issues. Our room was a bit compromised, and as a light sleeper I found it noisy and over-bright; and the breakfasts are quirky, but these are more than balanced by the location and staff.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

My husband and I decided to head to Santorini for our Baby moon, and chose the Mill Houses thanks to the excellent reviews on Tripadvisor. We booked the Mill House Suites for seven nights and Dmitiri was more than helpful in helping me plan our transportation to the hotel and answer every email/question promptly before our arrival.

The hotel itself is centrally located in Firostefani between Fira & Oia. At the time I was almost six months pregnant and the stairs and walk to either town were more than reasonable. There were too many exaggerations about how complicated the walk is. Frankly, you know if your going to Santorini, there will be stairs involved.

Our room was gorgeous, comfortable and very clean. The couches were great to lounge and take naps on. The bed itself was comfortable, and we slept very well. Right outside we had our own Jacuzzi that accommodated the two of us, and helped us cool off between tanning sessions. The best part of our outdoor lounging area was definitely the unobstructed view of The Caldera.

The Mill House staff is amazing, courteous and hard working. Our breakfast every morning was superb on time and exactly what we asked for. And when some of my pregnancy cravings kicked in, they accommodated me to the absolute best of their ability. I couldn't have asked for a more attentive group of people.

All in all we were very happy with our Babymoon, and couldn't have asked for a better location for what would most likely be our last romantic couples vacation for a while.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

We spent 4 nights at Mill Houses from 16 Dec. All we can say is that we enjoyed every single minute there. It is professionally managed like any 5-star hotel, but with more personal touches. General Manager Dimitris is ready to answer all our questions, and make superb restaurant recommendations. Pilot, the pleasant and shy pool bar manager, carefully prepared sumptuous breakfast every day; we love him!

Excellent services aside, the spectacular view of Caldera from the pool bar alone is worth every day we pay.

• Stayed December 2012
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My partner and I travelled to Greece for a 2-week break (and partly for me to attend a conference), most of which we spent in Athens and the surrounding towns. For our Greek islands experience we spent 4 days and 3 nights in Santorini, a paradise destination which was part of my bucket list. It was getting into the Greek winter there so many places were shut and there was hardly anyone around (probably about 10 people in total at the castle in Oia waiting for the sunset, as opposed to hundreds during the peak of summer!).

Mill Houses was an awesome place to stay in, & I’m glad that of all the accommodation options that’s the one we chose. The cost was reasonable too (We found a good deal on Expedia). To show how good the reputation of this place is, when I was at the conference describing to someone where I will be staying in Santorini, she knew that I was talking about Mill Houses!

Things I liked about this place:
- Great location – right in Fira, with shops only a walking distance. You go outside your room and you have stunning views of the caldera
- Complimentary transfers to and from the airport
- Room was stunning – white cave rooms, great facilities including an iPod dock. I loved the Bvlgari toiletries especially! We were in a studio room which was a bit small but very clean.
- Great breakfast service – You choose anything you like from their menu and they bring it to your room when you’re ready! (Wake up, give them a call, and 10 minutes breakfast arrives)
- Daily reminders are left in your room regarding the weather forecast for the next day.
- Excellent staff service, from the manager Dimitris to his other staff. Very courteous and polite. Dimitris took the time to recommend excellent places to visit and have a nice dinner as it was my partner’s birthday while we were there. Dimitris also helped organise a surprise birthday cake way before my partner and I arrived in Greece!

The couple of minor issues with the studio room: If you’re tall you have to hunch over so you don’t hit your head going down the steps to head towards the bathroom. The pure white flooring and the small area between the bed and the top of the staircase also posed as a bit of a hazard when wanting to go downstairs in the middle of the night.

Nonetheless, if you’re looking for an excellent place to stay in Santorini, BOOK THIS ONE!! This is definitely a great place to stay.

Enjoy your holiday!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mill Houses Elegant Suites? Share your experiences!