“Fantasic place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Melbourne
“Fantasic place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

I thought I should write a review on Agali because finding accommodation in Santorini was very difficult (and expensive) - there are so many places to choose from and the reviews on trip advisor were so varied for most places.

I just stayed at Agali houses for my honeymoon and absolutely loved it! we chose it because of the views, balcony and kitchen. We shouldn't have worried about the kitchen because we only really used the fridge - which was very useful. Agali is not on the cheaper side for accommodation, but it is not overly expensive and every cent is worth it!

We were upgraded to a larger room with a huge balcony, which was fantastic, but the view from any of the rooms would have been perfect because they all face the calderra. The best thing about Agali is the view - which is absolutely breathtaking. The pool area is beautiful, and again, has that amazing view. It was such a nice place to laze around and enjoy the amazing weather. Agali is very well mantained and the people who work there are very helpful (especially the man who carries your bags up and down the stairs!).

Firastefani is the perfect location - there are restaurants and shops in the area and it is only a 10 minute walk into Fira.

As mentioned by previous reviews, there are a lot of stairs to get up from the hotel to the main road, but I think anywhere in Santorini with a view would have a lot of stairs, so you'll face this elsewhere.

I would highly recommend Agali houses.

Room Tip: The view from all rooms are amazing, but if you can afford it, upgrade to the huge balcony
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Greek first
Gerringong, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

We stayed in the sunset suite at Agali Houses and could not fault it except we found the bed mattress to be a little too firm. Hot water ran out fast but it reheated within a few minutes so no big deal. Very comfy with an awesome view. Great restaurants and cafes nearby.
The only thing I could suggest to improve...provide a proper shower rather than a bath with a shower attachment. Also, suggest a little more variety in the breakfast.
Oh, and be ready for the steps. 173 steps from the pool at the Sunset suite to the top of the hill. We were fit by the end of the week. Agali have a man who carries your luggage down to the apartment and back...awesome to see what he can lift and how he just doesn't seem to notice the steps!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

I tend to mark a little hard so keep this in mind when reading this review. I am also far more critical of establishments charging at the high end of the pricing scale.

Agali is somewhat of a mixed bag and I do not really posses the vocabulary to explain why. So i will attempt to break it down in terms of the good and the bad.

Positives:
- The breakfast is fantastic, those complaining about it should really outline what they are expecting.

- The view from the breakfast outdoor dining area is great.

- Access to internet if you need it

- Firostefani is a great location if you are a decent walker, you can get to Fira easily but it's nice and quiet.

- The view off the balcony is spectacular, ideally though, one would be at the next town up (Imberv ......9SP?) because at Firostefani you are in the middle of the rim, one needs to be at either point for a full view.

- The room is super clean

Negatives:
- Whilst it's a great view you are quite low on the rim of the Caldera, ideally you'd be a little higher up. My wife loved the view and the room though, i was a tad underwhelmed.

- Santorini is expensive but even so Agali is getting up there and doesn't really do it's best to display why you should pay so much

- The apartment room is quite small, particularly the bedroom, whilst I was expecting this given the tight confines of the island, a queen bed would be expected at this price point I would think.

- Staff are a little odd. You are offered cruises and other activities but there's no real effort to explain what the cruises cost, where they go, what's worth seeing etc. Yet there is something of an expectant look that one will book through reception.

I am not explaining the above point too well am I. If anything goes wrong with a company on the island you are literally berated for not booking through reception. But you can't really book through reception because details are so vague. Go to a travel agency and you get way more information, rent a car and it's 20 odd euro less to deal directly with the company involved.

I am maybe being a bit harsh, most will arrive and marvel at the view and that's all she wrote. If we were to go back i think we'd stay away from the rim and look for better value slightly inland.

Detroit, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

My husband and I vacationed here in August 2005. Beautiful hotel on a gorgeous island. The view from the pool is breathtaking! The location is awesome! You have to walk up a zillion steps to get to the street but it is well worth the trip once your enjoy a treat and a coffee at a local cafe. We have been to a few islands in Greece and this is by far the most magnificent so far. We can't wait to return! Yamas!!!

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

My husband and I were returning to Santorini to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary and decided to stay in this hotel based on previous trip advisdor comments. We got a taxi transfer from the airport thanks to the hotel. (note watch he does not ask for money direct from you as the hotel should pay him!) We then booked in late in the evening as our flight was in late. We were upgraded to the room that has a turret like room included. You have a kitchen, sitting area, and nice master bedroom. Two balconies to sit on which was fantastic to watch the sunsets. Breakfast was great-consisted of meats, cheese, hard boiled eggs, preserves, bread etc and the service from the lady even better. Rooms were clean and everything worked. There are a lot of stairs, but then that is Santorini. Not far from the main town of Thira. Pool great and heaps of seating. Bed was very hard, but otherwise hotel was perfect.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

We were upgraded to the agali houses after my partner proposed to me on our holiday to santorini last week. My god what can i say? We thought we had seen Santorini having spent two days out on a bike touring around. We hadn't seen anything until we saw the view from this hotel. Our room was fantastic and the view is just incredible. The pool is very good and a good size compared to most hotels in this area. The staff were SO friendly and couldnt have made us feel more welcome. There was champagne on arrival and i was sent flowers from our previous hotel. The location is without doubt the best on the island. Personally I think it is better than Oia, where some of the nicer hotels are away from the town, Imerovigli which is a bit on its own and Fira which is very busy. This little village is 10 min walk to Fira and my god what a view over Fira town when you actually walk to it. You just see a playground of restaurants, bars etc I absolutely loved this hotel. I couldn't recommend it enough and implore you to go there if you are going to Santorini.

Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

Very nice experience, breathtaking views, very friendly and helpful staff! Breakfast could have been a bit better.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Agali Houses? Share your experiences!