I am finally writing this review of Villa Illias and have nothing but great memories of our time here.
We are a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 teenagers) and stayed in a traditional apartment with caldera view for 5 nights. The owners were helpful with everything and nothing was a problem for them. The apartments are away from the main hotel (down a path and steps) but this was not a problem. The view was fantastic and after a day sight seeing was a relaxing spot to sit and just enjoy the scenery.
The apartment had enough room for us all - wasn't huge but was enough. Very clean and simple. The private veranda had table and chairs and 2 sun lounges and was hard to walk away from the spectacular view. It had a little basic kitchen but we didn't use it as breakfast was included and we were out all day then back for nibbles and out for dinner. Breakfast included breads, cereal eggs and pastries as well as juices and coffee and tea - great start to your day. We had our laptop with us and the hotels wireless connection worked on the veranda so we could email and chat to friends and our youngest daughter shared the view with her friends using the web cam!
The hotel is away for the main tourist area but still only a short walk to Fira - the scenery on the way is beautiful. It would probably take about 10 minutes to walk to Fira but you can't help but stop and enjoy the view along the way. There are restaurants near the hotel and George and Pauline were very helpful in recommending places to go. We arrived just before dark and George helped us to our room and we followed his recommendation for dinner and it was lovely.
There is a little supermarket nearby and a travel agency which we used to book a car and a trip to the volcano. The lady in here was really friendly and helpful as well.
I would recommend staying here - you will be more than happy with the hotel, the view and the owners.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Damigos family has been a part of Santorini history for over a century. Villa Ilias is the former residence of one of our ancestors, George Ilias Damigos. It is built on this specific location to capture breath taking views that areunique only to Villa Ilias and perched 1,000 feet above the Aegean Sea and the most famous Volcano in the world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Despegar.com and Odigeo so you can book your Villa Ilias reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Ilias Hotel Firostefani
- Ilias Hotel Firostefani
- Villa Ilias Santorini/Firostefani