“magnificent” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
athens
“magnificent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

the restaurant was magnificent. The food was delicious (we ordered pirouni salad, bougiourdi, chicken fillet and spaghetti catciatore), the view of caldera and the sunset was amazing and the service was impeccable (quick an polite)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
Sutton, United Kingdom
“One more"Gourmet"disappointment on Fira.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

So many restaurants on this island seem to have adopted a gourmet menu and discarded their traditional dishes,this one is no exception.
Ordered the "smoked fillet of beef"with asparagus as one of the starters since I became fascinated with what smoked fillet of beef was and the prawns with mango and vegetables sautéed in a "rum sauce" as one of the main dishes.
When the starter arrived,I immediately called over the waiter and asked him where the "smoked fillet of beef" was and he pointed at the two tiny twisted pieces of prosciutto on top of the asparagus.When I pointed out to him that the"smoked fillet of beef" was not beef at all or fillet for that matter,but smoked pork,he hit his forehead with his palm and stated that he had this on his menu for four years without him noticing the mistake.I can only feel sorry for all the souls who adhere to strict halal and kosher guidelines in their lives and have indulged in this"sinful"specialty of the house.
The prawn dish came consisting of four prawns and an cacophony of vegetables including carrots,brussel sprouts,broccoli etc.,all drowning in this"rum"sauce".Horrible!
My advice to all who intend to spend serious money eating out on this island,stay clear of all these"gourmet"places and chose the traditional restaurants with their no-nonsense menus.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“A-mazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This place was absolutely wonderful, and I don’t just mean the food.. which was delicious. The owners (husband and wife team) are lovely too and gave us excellent service.

We ate here on our first night and were just wowed by the food (we both had different kinds of souvlaki style plates). The second night we went, my partner loved his meal but unfortunately my moussaka was lukewarm in the middle. Although I felt terrible, I said something to the owners, and they were so good about getting it fixed, warming it quickly for me and checking up on me after they brought it back to make sure I was happy. To me, this is all part of the excellent experience, how attentive they were and how keen to make sure everything was okay for us.

Very generous glasses of wine, and the complimentary and exquisite desserts were just divine. I even got the insider information on the recipe for one of the desserts, thank you Maria!

Definitely worth its number one rating to me. Of course it is very popular so definitely make a reservation. It's not ridiculously cheap like some other tavernas but its not marketed like that and you pay for what you get - excellent quality!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Liberty MO
“An Easy 5”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

I can't say enough about this place; I enjoyed the food so much at lunch that I ordered takeaway late the same evening after we watched the sunset at Oia. We had red snapper and calamari, and both were outstanding, as were the mussels. Maria invited me into the kitchen to wait for my takeaway, and I watched the great care and hard work that went into all the dishes. At lunch, Maria was very attentive to our needs, made great recommendations, and paid special attention to our 12-year old son. A terrific find, and worth the hike from wherever you're staying in the Fira area, and worth the wait for a table if you forget to reserve.

Visited June 2013
“Good Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We ate here our first night on the island and it made a really good impression.
The appearance of the resturant is lovely and the service very attentive!
The wine was good (we went for the cheapest option) and we both enjoyed the courses we had, we also recieved a small complimentary final course which was nice :) would return!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere