“What a fantastic holiday!” 4 of 5 stars

Solimar Aquamarine Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Kontomari, Platanias, Crete 73014, Greece   |
Ranked #19 of 56 hotels in Platanias
England, United Kingdom
“What a fantastic holiday!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

The hotel itself is a little secluded which is what we wanted anyway – it is located between Maleme and Platania and is lovely a quiet location with the beach a very short walk away. Most of the staff are superb – in particular Dimitri (reception) and Maria (bar staff) they were both so lovely and helpful the whole time we were there and always wanted to talk to us! However, some of the staff were very miserable looking but that can’t be helped (I think other people have mentioned this). The food is lovely with a huge choice and the fruit provided was fantastic. The food was not always that well labelled and I am a very fussy eater so just be aware you need to have your wits about you! The pool bar was lovely as well with a wide range of drinks available. There is also a bar terrace which is lovely but can get quite windy up there on an evening and I wished I had taken a cardigan or something to take off the chill. The only negative I can say on the evenings is the lack of any entertainment – I’m not one for tacky entertainment but it was boring at times. Having eaten in the hotel for several nights on the trot we decided to take a walk to a nearby restaurant which is at the back of the hotel and you turn right, it’s called Bossa Nova and is fantastic – it’s not expensive, the food is superb and they have a huge choice of beer and ales – highly recommend.

We are quite active people so sitting around the pool every day was not for us, even though the pool was great and sunbeds were always free. We did a lovely walk out the back of the hotel and turned left along the top of the beach and walked to a german war cemetery, this was the best day out by far. It’s a bit of a walk but well worth it. We walked into Platania as well which is about 4km each way which was lovely and there are plenty of places to have lunch an activities to do – there are a range of fish spas where you can have your feet nibbled on for 5 euros per person(recommended this for fun factor). We arranged a few trips – one from Platania which was a boat trip to the island Theodorou, you get a couple of snorkling trips and this was such good fun, it does cost 25 euros each and they do the same trips from Chania which is about 40 minutes away on the bus for 15 euros so you can save a lot of money but it was our last full day and we decided we wanted to stay fairly local but if you want the samething for much less you can get the bus outside the hotel into chainia for about 4 euros each and that’s a return. We did go into Chania earlier on but were not that amazed by the place. The boat trips vary in times and they set off between 1:00pm and 2:30pm and last approx 3 hours so you just have to be aware when you do the trip from Chania that you might not be getting back to the hotel until around 6:30/7:00pm. The last day we decided to get the little fun train to the canyon – this cost 17 euros each and I thought it was a complete rip off for the whole trip – I have looked at the reviews and they seem quite good but I suppose that is something some people will like!

Room Tip: Get one with a pool if you can :)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Michalis C, Διευθυντής at Solimar Aquamarine Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for posting your review on trip advisor, we would like to thank you and assure you that your next stay will be even better.

166 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We spent a great week in Solimar Aquamarine 28th Aug to 4th Sept it was a peaceful chilled out week the food was lovely and as for the room it was spotless and cleaned every day. The staff and the manager was so helpfull . not far to the nearest village about 5 mins you cant fault it .We met some lovely people and enjoyed our holiday.We will be returning . Dont hesitate go see for yourself...

Room Tip: Top Floor room looks to be better ,or if like personal pool VIP rooms
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Respectful Guest,

Was an honour to have you as guests in our premises, we are looking forward to your next stay and make you feel again as "at home".

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We arrived at Solimar expecting to be put in the superior suit with pool, the receptionist 'Olga' told us that 'we were the lucky couple' and that in our room was having problems with the pool, so we've been upgraded to VIP suit.

The next day we had a knock at the door saying we were needed in reception. Olga told us that our room was ready now, I explained that we had unpacked and that it would be too much hassle to move rooms now, we were here top enjoy the sun not lug our suitcases around. Olga became rude and very unhelpful. I explained that im not prepared to be moved rooms. She said she would review it in a couple of days.

Next day another letter in our room telling us to go to reception, Olga said it had been sorted for us to stay in the VIP room. I thought that was the end of the matter.. I was wrong.

On check out, i went to hand the key back to Olga, who was talking on the phone. She finished the call and what she was about to tell me was the VERY dIsturbing. Apparently we owe the hotel TWO HUNDRED EUROS!!

For what I questioned and Olga explained that we'd ruined a bed sheet and they need to buy a new one. 200 euros for a new sheet?? seemed to me the hotel were trying anything they could to make up the money they'd lost for upgrading us to VIP.

The manager Michael was called and explained that we needed to pay 200 euros because there was blood on the sheet, which was apparently silk.. I dont think so. He demanded that I come down to the room with him, baring in mind our shuttle to the airport was due in 15 minutes. When we got to the room the 'chief executive cleaning officer' was already there with the sheet prepared for me to see, there were two minute drops of blood from where my shoes had rubbed my feet and apparently the sheet was ruined beyond repair. The cleaner also pointed out stains on the headboard which had been there on our arrival, she was accusing us of making these stains.

I was appalled at these lies and refused to pay, Michael became rude, speaking in Greek to the cleaner, eventually after explaining to him that we had no money left he dropped the matter and we just about made it in time for our transfer, this is not the sort of stress you need after a relaxing holiday, just before you are set to leave. From reading other reviews it is clear that this is a regular occurence in Solimar, I would urge anyone that is 'upgraded' to speak with Michael about it, as they will try to con you out of money after!!

Putting these issues aside, we had a wonderful relaxing holiday, the hotel is exceptionally clean and well maintained, with beautiful grounds. The food was plentiful, with a wide range of dishes to choose from. However the staff could use a few lessons in manners. Waiters and waitresses were rude, they didn't smile and everything seemed like too much effort for them.

On the other hand the bar staff were particularly friendly, there was a wide range of drinks available to all inclusive guests, and the roof garden bar has lovely views, however there was NO ENTERTAINMENT at all, many couples looked bored out of their minds.
Luckily Platanias centre is only a short busride, DO NOT USE A TAXI. its a rip off.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this hotel, and that is due to the poor staffing, I would never return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Respectful Guest,

I think that sitting in a chair and making such a big issue out of small cases is an exaduration,
The bed sheet as well as the bed cover are througn away as they were not any more usable because of the blood stains, you didnt anyhow paid although we should have charged your room bill, I do not know when was the last time you bought a silk cover 2.00 x 2.20 but I assure you is expensive, I have stayed in London in the center 5 years ago with my friends nad we were charged 300 pounds for a damage in the shower curtens that we needed to pay and we did.
The entertainment is nowhere advertised in our site www.solimarhotels.gr and if you have googled it you would know but you didnt. Taxis are very fair as Platanias will cost you 7-8 Euros for a 3 kilometer ride. I'm sure in UK is much more expensive than us.

Please if you do not know the hotel you are planing to have holiday google it in order to avoid misunderstandings.

Lodz, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Last year at Soilmar was so nice that was the reason we decided to come back. Again the vaction at Solimar was fantastic. Great food, great hospitality of the Manager, Justyna, Maria, Vasili and other staff, clean environment, swimming-pool, pool bar, clean and cosy room with privete swimming-pool, just nicely reowated, nice playground for children - these are some of the keywords of the hotel. If You are looking for a quite place - the best choice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for you rpositive comments on trip advisor, we would like to assure you that we will continue offering our best servises to you and to everyone visiting our property.

Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We spent a lovely week at the Solimar Aquamarine hotel from 23rd July 2013 to 31st July 2013.
The rooms were spotless and cleaned daily.
All the staff, from the bars, restaurant and management were helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble and Michalis was available adding that personal touch.
Food was good, breakfast was a good selection of cooked breakfast, continental style, lots of fresh fruit, yoghurt and cereal and fruit juices. Dinner and evening meal, had a good selection of salads, hot meal choices including traditional Greek choice, fresh fruit and plenty of desserts. It is a tough job catering for people on such a large scale 3 times a day, but we were not disappointed with the food at all. You could get white or red wine, beer and soft drinks in the main restaurant during meal times.
Snacks were available from the pool bar in the afternoon, which was great for the children .
Both the pool bar and the terrace bar offered local spirits, wine, beer, several cocktail choices and soft drinks as part of the all inclusive package, premium branded spirits were available at extra cost which is standard for most European All inclusive breaks.
There is a well stocked mini market on site and a childrens play, and 5 minutes from the nearest beach.
The swimming pool is lovely, however for those people that are not confident in the water (as one of our party wasn't), there is quite a steep slope into the pool, by no means a criticsm, but suggest maybe a handrail might be useful for those that aren't confident in the water.

A lovely holiday, in a lovely hotel, would definately come back.

Jo - UK

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Michalis C, Διευθυντής at Solimar Aquamarine Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear respectful Guest,

Thank you for yor positive review, we will be pleased to offer you our services again in the future!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

While searching for a cheap holiday in Crete for me and a friend, I came across a great deal for all inclusive at the Solimar Aquamarine Hotel. I'd never been all inclusive before so wasn't sure what to expect but it certainly didn't disappoint! From the moment we arrived, Michael, the hotel manager, couldn't do enough for us and were made to feel welcome straight away. The hotel itself is, as many have said, was spotlessly clean and modern throughout the parts that we saw.

Our room was one of the VIP suites with a private pool which we were really pleased to get. Although we went slightly out of season, there were still quite a few children enjoying the main pool, so it was a good bonus to have our own private pool to use right on our doorstep.

The beach was just a short walk away - we didn't actually visit the beach as we'd hired a car but it looked perfectly decent.

The food was of good quality and always plenty of variety on offer each day. Drinks were perfectly fine too - and I was pleasantly surprised to find that jugs of water were available free of charge, contrary to reviews I read before visiting about being charged for water. The pool bar was great for a few beers at lunchtime chilling in the sun. Sandwiches and pizza were served as mid-afternoon snacks as well which was good.

The only slight issue we had was the French family next door to us who at times were quite noisy, including their child dive-bombing into their private pool in the early hours as we were trying to sleep! But this was no fault of the hotels of course and wasn't a big issue.

All in all, we had a great stay at the Solimar and I think it's the perfect place to go if you're with friends, a couple or with family, looking to chill in the sun in pleasant surroundings with all inclusive. You could easily spend all your time at the resort without leaving - we had already planned to hire a car for a few days so we could explore too, getting the best of both worlds.

I'd like to thank Michael and his team for their hospitality, and for making it a great holiday for us!

Room Tip: Go for the VIP rooms with the private pool - a great extra to have, meaning you can sunbathe and tak...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear respectful Guest,

Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor your opinion about us, looking forward to welcome you again in the future!

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We have spent a lovely week in Solimar Aquamarine Hotel. Location was just 5 minutes away to the nearest village Platanias and 20-25 minutes away from Chania center by bus.
Hotel manager Michalis helped us personally with every aspect from the very first day. Feel free to contact with him if you need an advise for scheduling your holiday.
I think hotel environment was quiet, safe and well maintained. Hotel is ideal for families with children. For couples, hotel entertainment is limited, but we had the opportunity to do and see many things at Platanias and Chania.
We have booked a double room with a terrace, which had a fantastic sea view. Our room was cozy and clean. Watching the sunset at the terrace was amazing. In addition to this, our room cleaned every day.
In my opinion, hotel food was good and served properly. There were different choices from Greek cuisine and some international tastes. Also, desserts and salads served beautifully. Regarding drinks, there were several soft drinks and local alcoholic drinks at the main restaurant. However, one was missing, which is Ouzo. It would be pleasant to taste Ouzo with food, but local red vine was also delightful.
Hotel personnel was also quite helpful, kind and particularly well organized.
I would suggest Solimar Aquamarine hotel and hope to be there soon!

Room Tip: Room 203 had a nice view and quiet. Rooms on the other corridor probably little bit noisy since ther...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Michalis C, Διευθυντής at Solimar Aquamarine Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear Respectful Guest,

I would like to thank you personally for your nice comments on trip advisor, also with the wish to welcome you again in our property In the future!

Warm Regards!

Been to Solimar Aquamarine Hotel? Share your experiences!