“A Matter of Taste” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 56 Hotels in Platanias
Stavropol, Russia
“A Matter of Taste”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I know that a person's review is always very subjective but honestly speaking I would have been either blind or tottaly insane not to admit the excelent work done in this hotel by all staff members. I see people/guests writing middle or negative reviews as like their expectations are the ones of a Four Seasons or a 5 star Dubai luxurius property.
All you guys in Aquamarine well done!! Keep the high Standards you have and do not be let down by any one!
Stayed in room 257 a foul SV Superior Suite room and my wife and daughter were amazed by the hospitality offered the food, the kindness etc! OF COURSE I WILL RETURN AGAIN!!!

Viktor Podluzhni Stavropol Russia!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Michalis C, Manager at Solimar Aquamarine Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Honored Guest,

On the behalf of the management and staff I would like to thank you for posting your review.
We really apreciatre your warm comments and we are looking forward to welcome you and your family again in our Solimar Aquamarine.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Wrexham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Firstly, to the lovely family of 5 and the family of 3 sisters - we really enjoyed our poolside chats - thank you.

The moment we stepped into the reception we were greeted by a male receptionist who appeared to be the most miserable man on the planet. He seemed unable to break into a smile and seemed to speak in words of 1 syllable. This wasn't a good start. Indeed on the occasions I had to speak to this man throughout the holiday, he always appeared to be the same. On 2 occasions he gave us incorrect information regarding dates of an excursion and prices.

Other than this gentleman I found all staff to be exceptionally helpful and friendly. On several occasions I walked passed the manager who always made a point of asking how I was and if I was enjoying the holiday.

We stayed in a twin superior with private pool. As there were 3 of us, we had to have a travel bed for our daughter which made the room a little cramped. There was simply no room between our bed and our daughter's so if either my wife, I or our daughter got out of bed, we literally had to climb out.

I wasn't impressed with the toilet in that you couldn't flush the paper down the toilet and had to put it in a bin which in my opinion is filthy and unacceptable. I understand the history and reasons why BUT in 2010 I stayed in a 4 star hotel less than 1 mile away from this one and you were able to flush paper in the toilet.

I thoroughly enjoyed the breakfasts which consisted of bacon, potatoes, eggs, omelettes, scrambled eggs, fried eggs, beans, bread, croissants. However, I found the lunchtime and evening menu a little "samey". I'm happy to admit that I'm a fussy eater but I couldn't find much that I liked. My daughter who isn't fussy also felt the same way. But my wife on the other hand thought the food was fine. By comparison, in the hotel less than 1 mile away which I stayed at in 2010, there was a far better selection of food.

The grounds were maintained to an impeccable standard but on several occasions I saw large rats, particularly around the playground area. There was also the smell of raw sewage present most days.

As the vast majority of guests were Polish, all entertainment was conducted in this language. On one night there was a quiz with half of the contestants being British, yet it was conducted all in Polish.

The hotel is located about a 200 metre walk from a beach consisting of shale and discarded cigarette ends. Although the hotel had a mini market, it was small. There were 2 other mini markets around a 5 minute walk at the back of the hotel. At night, this road was poorly lit. Buses were about every 30 minutes taking you into Platanias which came alive at night.

On one occasion we went on an organised trip and asked the hotel if they could provide a packed lunch. We were charged 2 Euros each. Now, the money isn't the issue. But, as we were staying in an All Inclusive and during the excursion we would be missing ALL the drinks, a 3 course lunch and afternoon snacks, I would have expected there to be no charge. The "miserable male receptionist" explained in words of 1 syllable that it was the cost of the preparing the lunch pack. Erm, put some cake, a bottle of water, and a can of meat into box takes a long time......right?

As I've said before, in 2010 I stayed in a 4 star All Inclusive hotel less than 1 mile away from this one, and the gulf in class is huge.

It's only natural to make comparisons and as both hotels were 4 star then it's "like for like" and fair to make the comparison. Maybe if I hadn't stayed at the other hotel in 2010 my rating for this hotel would be higher.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Michalis C, Manager at Solimar Aquamarine Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Dear respectful Guest,

Firstly many thanks for posting you review on trip advisor,
and be sure i will have a personal chat with "male receptionist" that you mentioned.. Please accept my appologies on that, however,
We in Greece do not place the used toilet paper inside the toilet but in a toilet bin next to the toilet, this is not creting us or the other guests problems and I'm terribly sorry this is a reason that in a way spoilt your holiday or you were not.... impressed by this.
Our animation team is multi lingual including English, Greek, Spanish, Italian, and Polish but as sometimes happen that a travel agency is sending us clients from a specific Country we need to adapt ourselves according to the circuemstances, for example 2 weeks ago we hade the animation language in Italian as the majority of Guests were from Italy.
Our Mini Market (75 sqm) has all kind of goods, but as is called "Mini Market" our clients do not expect to find the moon and stars in it but all basic things, yes out side the hotel is another market called "Super Market" and has many more..
Concerning the Lunch box.. Once a guest is buying a holiday from a travel agent the agent is obligated to explain our "ALL INCLUSIVE" desription to you as you are planing your holiday, if he did not then please revert back to him and ask why he did not.. still you have booked AI meaning that if you planned to be every day on an excursion and not in the hotel the food prepared for you and your family would not be consumed and will be ending up in waist conteiners, imagine if 50-60 guests would not eat meals inside and food is troughn away, thats why we charge 2 euros.. because you receive a desent box as like the food prepared for you in the buffet..

As last we are informing you that we are the ONLY 4 STAR hotel in the neighbourhood and the next one is 8 miles away... So no other hotel around us!!!

Hope that next time problems like mini market, lunch boxes or any kind of toilet issues will not spoil you holiday as you mentioned in our hotel.

Lastly I see that your reviews are quite many since you travel a lot but please accept a tiny tip from a less traveled person, where ever are cases not accepted by hotel guests I'm sure there is a Manager or asupervisor to talk to and resolve right?? (like the lunch boxes) I was always around as you said.. why then not discussing issues with me?

Many thanks and looking forward that your next stay will be "unforgetable" I will make it happen!!

Best Regards!!
Lodz, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

- Hm, I thought such a place does not exist in Crete ! But, I was surprsied by:
- private pool available to me, privacy included
- fanatascic cuisine, everybody (children too) can find something tasty to eat. Presenation - great. Service discrete and efficient. Atmosphere in restarurant very calm and nice.
- very clean place
- room service excellent
- PEOPLE (special thanks to Takis, Justyna, Maria and Vasillyi) exclellent service !!! Excellent is not the word to express how great it was !
- great for families with children (also small) and for people without children
- animation - excellent
- pool - great for childern and adults
- if pool is not enough there is beach with sunbeds available for hotel guest 4 free
I love going to new places for vacation but I will be back there next year ! Piotr, Poland

Room Tip: Choose the room with private pool ! It is worth its price.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Michalis C, Manager at Solimar Aquamarine Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Was an honor to accomodate you in our solimar Aquamarine and we will provide you with the same or even better services next year when we will have again the chance to have you as a guest!

Looking forward to welcome you again!

Best Regards!
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed in Solimar Aquamarine for one week in a Junior Suite with private pool. To be honest we do not travel a lot because we work so much and every year may have only one week for our holiday. We had so great time , one week finished so unexpect fast ...We miss funny animation team near the pool, delicious menu with variety of choices, so helpfully staff and just fantastic evenings in the roof garden bar with the best sunset we have ever seen! We recommend this pace and for sure will be back the next year.

Dear respectful Guest!

Many thanks and best wishes from the Sunny Crete.
Looking forward to welcome you again and provide you with our services!!

Best Regars!
Heraklion, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We happen to drive along the Platanias area in Chania and we have chosen this lovely hotel for the beuatiful location, as I'm an owner of a travel agency in Crete and having seen all the positive ratings in trip advisor I can only reccomend this Paradise, delicious food, lovely staff, and great location!! Is a must to visit Aquamarine!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
I do want to thank you for your nice words and positive comments, every guest is very precious to us as we try to do our best for making their stay as comfortable as possible!
Thank you once more for staying with us.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Stayed at the Solimar Aquamarine hotel in Plantanias Crete from 24th July until the 6 th of August. We really did enjoy our stay and found the hotel staff very friendly and efficient and the manager Michalis was very visible and accessible for any queries or advice regarding places to visit in the Chania area. The rooms were cleaned every day to a very high standard. The grounds of the hotel were also very well maintained.
When we arrived we initially thought the area was very quiet and this was exactly the kind of holiday we were looking for. The hotel entertainment team were really good and made sure that the youngsters were entertained. If you need a bit more quiet time then a lovely sandy beach is nearby. If you head along the road about 500 yds or so then take a left down to the beach you will find a very much quieter place with sun beds. Kostas taverna in on the beach and he and his family are very welcoming. Swimming in the beautifull Aegean sea was something I looked forward to every day, beach shoes recommended.
You can hire quad bikes or a moped to get around ( you don't need to hire a car) and there is a close by rental place only 400 yards from the hotel next to a supermarket that has most things you would need.

It's worth exploring some of the more remote villages and secluded beaches and to catch a glimpse of the real Crete. Kolamvari has great seafront fish restaurants and visit plantanias if you want to do some shopping of have a bit more lively nightlife.

We spent some time with Michalis the hotel manager on our last night discussing our experience of our stay at this hotel and I have to say that we had nothing at all to complain about. We will definately be back next year.

Keith and Phyllis M - Scotland

• Stayed July 2012
Michalis C, Manager at Solimar Aquamarine Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Family S,

Of course I will be more than happy to have you again as my Guests in our property and spent more time with you during the evening, was realy an honour to have you and will be even happier to see you again in our property!
Clavering, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

we stayed at this hotel from the 17th july for a week it was great,food very good, staff friendly,clean accomodation,entertainment team fantastic working so hard!! and Michael the manager a real gentelman,would stay here again and recommend to people looking for a fun lively hotel,

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Respectful Guest!

Thank you for your nice and positive commets will always be a pleasure to welcome you in Our Solimar Aquamarine whenever wished!

Been to Solimar Aquamarine Hotel? Share your experiences!