“Special Occasion 50th Birthday” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Special Occasion 50th Birthday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I visited here this weekend with my wife and two friends. This is a very upmarket Michelin starred restaurant and the setting and ambiance reflects that. However, do not let that put you off, the staff are very friendly and place you at your ease if, like me, you are not used to top level dining. We were welcomed by the Somellier who was pleased to advise us about our wine choice, and having looked at the menu and price, the Maitre'd did laugh when I asked him for the 'Menu Routier' though suggested I would have to eat in the garden if I selected from it! The Menu de Chef (tasting menu) was amazing and an experience we will not forget, the whole evening represented good value for money and I would recommend it for any special occasion. Just one tip, if you go with friends, you can only choose the Menu de Chef if everyone on the table has it,but if you do so, you will not be disappointed. The staff are all excellent and made us feel very relaxed in what is not our usual level of dining.

Visited February 2012

Henley on Thames
“A Michelin starred restaurant that is not worth its star.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

We went to the Chateau on a Saturday evening. The options were either the ordinary menu at 75 Euros or the Menu Gastronomique at 98 Euros or something like that. We went for the cheap (!) one. The langoustine ravioli was tasty but looked nothing special on the plate, which left a large dirty stain on the tablecloth which the waiter had to cover with a napkin. My crab ravioli turned out to be cold - I don't remember the menu saying anything about that - and not very tasty or attractive on the plate. The hake en croute was also tasty, but presented on a bed of spinach which was not mentioned in the description of the dish, but was mentioned as being served with the sea bass. My cod fillet was rolled or moulded into a vertical round shape which meant that the outside was slightly over cooked and the inside was the opposite. I was served a burned carrot - completely black on one side - which I did not eat and pointed out to the waiter who cleared the plates. Not a word of apology was forthcoming.The high spot was the mango and passionfruit souffle, but is that so difficult? By way of petty fours we were presented with a bowl of garishly coloured and not very tasty small macaroons. The Gewurtztraminer was, in my view, also grossly over priced. There were few modestly priced wines, and nothing except French wines. On the table was a small decoration of artificial green leaves containing a very dead white rosebud. Other tables had the same. The staff were unsmiling to the point of being almost rude.
In my view, this once wonderful place now has serious problems. It seems to lack good management. The cooking is not up to scratch and neither is the service. The waiting staff were clearly not happy in their work. There was no warm welcome, and no evidence of a professional restaurant manager. The bar only has two or three small seating areas and although we were early we had to go straight to our table. Nobody seems to really care. The dead roses said it all.

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
England
“A starred restaurant that is worth the visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

This is a restaurant I have visited over a fifteen year period. The team leaders have rarely changed and the standard of cooking has remained high. There are previous comments on this site that say the atmosphere is stuffy and old fashioned and the food unexciting. What these days is 'exciting' food? I have eaten at the Fat Duck in Bray and yes that was exciting but for me and I imagine others, it is not a restaurant to be visited often. The Chateaux, however, is.

We are all eating so well these days which when coupled to a plethora of TV cookery programmes, books and magazines, means we are becoming so knowledgeable on food I feel we can be overcritical and often forget what the objective of a fine meal should be. For me it is a high standard of cooking, interesting flavours and quality ingredients leading to a well balanced relaxing meal, whether one of two or three courses or more. Sometimes I also like to be treated a little specially as there are times when the ego needs pampering (I am sure I am not alone). All this the Chateau can and does provide.

Yes, the dining rooms are somewhat old world traditional but this is not a problem, does everything have to be modern? They are spotless, tastefully furnished and spacious, just as you would expect from a restaurant at this level. The tables are set well apart and provide diners with all the intimacy they require whilst allowing them to be part of the theatre that the service provides. For a good traditional fine dining experience where food, service and surroundings must be of equal standard and work together the Chateaux has it spot on.

If you don't want your service to be stuffy (and personally I have never found it so) then engage with the waiters. You will find that they all have a wicked sense of humour and can have fun with each other (and you, should you let them) whilst still providing you with the professional level of service that they have spent many years perfecting. Remember in France, unlike the UK, being a waiter is a noble career, to be a good one takes many years training and a full understanding of food and drink. It is not by chance that you end up working at a restaurant with a Michelin Star. These guys are top notch and can give you interesting information on what you are eating, provide advice on local ingredients such as the cheeses and pair the ideal wine for each of your dishes. For the record the somellier here has a top qualification and is one of only two people in Northern France that does, you should want to make him your friend! So, be nice and talk to them. You all have an interest in common - the Chateaux and the food. Plus and everyone wants a successful evening.

For the record we ate the tasting menu with the wines advised for each course. It was not inexpensive but was good value as we found no faults. We left contented and happy and will return in the New Year as we know the standard will not have dropped

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
South Kensington, London
“Avoid this overpriced place and its self-important waiting staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

We just ate dinner here as part of our long weekend in Northern France. While the reviews I had seen previously were mixed we still decided to give it a try.

Some €250 later we are decidedly not impressed: a hugely self-important, frostily unsmiling, know-it-all-better waiting staff, OK but unremarkable food and a stuffy ambience with some very poor interior design choices added up to an overall disappointing experience.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bristol
“Wonderful meal for four aged Brits (see French review from 2009)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

My partner and I took my elderly parents here on a beautiful, warm evening in early April. The service is rather stiff and old-fashioned, but became more relaxed as the evening went on. We had drinks in the garden (only sparkling water as we had had a glass of champagne earlier in our hotel). Having decided to order the menu degustation we went in to our table by the open verandah doors. All very comfortable.

I was a bit concerned that the 7 course meal would be too much for us. We asked for small portions and were asked whether we wanted fish, meat or both. We opted for both.

All the courses were small, beautifully presented and absolutely delicious. We did not know what was coming - everything was a surprise. I can honestly say that not a scrap was left on anyone's plate.

We made a note of what we ate:
Carpaccio of scallop
White asparagus, rocket sauce, morels, parmesan and pine nuts
Whiting with breadcrumbs, anchovy, lemon and caper sauce
Pata negra roast pork fillet and vegetables
Ewe's cheese with sesame seed and honey crust
Caramel mousse with chocolate and almonds
Local strawberries with creme citron, mint and biscuit

Followed by coffee and petits fours.

It was a very expensive meal but a great treat. We had one bottle of good white wine (Crozes Hermitage) and a glass each of dessert wine recommended by the restaurant to go with the puddings, which was perfect.
We had a very convivial time and the proceedings were livened up a bit when a cork flew into my mother's wine glass and landed with a plop. She thought it had come from the wine waiter at a neighbouring table and started to remonstrate with him, but in fact it was the stopper from our fresh bottle of sparkling water that had flown out all on its own. There was much laughter in the restaurant and the atmosphere became much lighter.

It was a memorable meal for us all.

• Visited April 2011