“I Dream of Gusto” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 9 Restaurants in Rauris
Simi Valley, California
“I Dream of Gusto”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We have been visiting this area since 2001, and with the development of the area it is a comfort to see Gusto remain the same. Anita and Gregor are such amazingly talents chefs. She has been able to get me to eat and enjoy things I normally do not care for. An evening at Gusto is an event, so don't expect to be in and out in an hour. We generally spend 3 - 4 hours there, so if you're children can not entertain themselves for very long or you are not in the mood for a long evening, it is probably not the best time to go. We have watched each other's children grow over the years and Anita always provides the kids with their own menu options as well as a bucket of games that can be played in a quiet corner once their meal is finished. It is customary to take all courses and enjoy the appropriate drink with each course. The prices are high, but not too much for what you are presented with, in my opinion. My favorite meal at Gusto has been a terrine with salmon and beets, chestnut soup, White Fish with a beautifully delicate sauce served with spring vegetables (it was spring ski season), followed by a cheese plate. I simply can't say enough about Gusto and cannot wait to return whenever we are able to visit again. My only fault with Gusto is that it is sometimes very warm in the restaurant. We've learned to compensate by dressing appropriately.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Harrogate, England
“Amazing food, but shocking service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

This restaurant in Worth, just outside Rauris should be excellent - 5 out of 5. However it's not. The food was absolutely amazing and we could not fault the quality of the cooking or the presentation. The tastes were delicate, flavoursome and exciting.The menu is oriented more towards adults by the nature of the cuisine but there were a couple of dishes very suitable for children's tastes. The problem we had was with the service. When we arrived the hostess made us very welcome and comfortable and she spent time with us to help translate the menu for us - we placed our orders and got our appetizers and everything seemed to be going well. They even gave us a game to play at our table, which the children loved. From then on the service was non-existent. In total we spent 3.5 hours eating a three course meal which was so drawn out it was embarrassing. We had 3 glasses of wine throughout the meal - not because we didn't want more but no one thought to serve us. We had to chase the staff for our main courses and desserts. In fact, the hostess asked my 10 year old son if he wanted dessert and he ordered the ice cream. The adults got our dessert but his ice cream didn't arrive until we had to go and ask for it again, some 30 minutes later. The hostess sat with other customers at their tables and just completely forgot we were even there. To make matters worse there were only 6 tables with customers that night and two ladies serving us.The other tables appeared to be served promptly but after the game arrived at our table the service was less than 1 out of 5.I gave 3 out 5 as a rating - 5 out of 5 for the food, but 1 out of 5 for the service. I just hope anyone else visiting gets better service, because good service would make this place special.

• Visited January 2012