“Best Vacation / Honeymoon Ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa MarBella

We can't find prices for this hotel
Casa MarBella
You added Casa MarBella to your Saves list
125 meters east and 25 meters north of Super Ronny's, Santa Teresa 5361, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Orlando, FL
“Best Vacation / Honeymoon Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

Casa Marbella is a small hotel that reminded us of a mediterranean or Spanish Mission. It's located on top of a high hill in the middle of a quaint surfing / fishing village and has a wonderful view. The owners, Jimmy & Stephanie, were wonderful hosts. All the rooms were nice, but since we were celebrating our honeymoon and it was available, we were lucky to be upgraded to a 3-bdrm, 2-story apartment on one end of the hotel. It was amazing, with high ceilings, stylish decor, large kitchen, and a huge balcony. Our hosts provided information on local activities, restaurants, and made our reservations as necessary. Other than surfboard rentals & lessons, a beautiful swimming pool and gorgeous view, there are no other amenities on the premises; but it wasn't necessary. Two massage therapists came to our room and gave us VERY affordable massages on our balcony (twice). Horseback riding up the mountain and down to the beach at sunset was arranged and the horses even picked us up from the hotel. We also experienced a surf lesson from Jimmy, a wonderful fishing adventure, and incredible ziplining to waterfalls. I wasn't expecting much in the way of cuisine, but everything we tried in Costa Rica tasted so fresh and healthy. Restaurants are not on property, but there is an incredible restaurant just a short walk up the hill and other diverse restaurants (no chains) all over town that are highly recommended. Everything you needed was within walking distance or within a very short "quad" drive. My recommendation to others is to make sure you have access to plenty of cash, brush up on your Spanish, and bring “Skin So Soft” for the occasional no-see-ums;otherwise have a great time!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Decorated in a cream stucco and with contrasting dark wood, it reminded me of Bacara in Santa Barbara, CA. My husband I and stayed here for part of our honeymoon and we loved it! Casa Marbella is just two years old and is very modern without losing that Costa Rican authenticity. Stephani and James are the owners and helped us out with all our questions. We signed up for a surf lesson with James as well! He was a great teacher and we got up on our first try. We would recommend Casa Marbella for singles, couples, friends, and families. They offer regular rooms, suites, and an apartment on the upper level of half the resort. Last but no least, the prices are totally affordable. Casa Marbella is a lot of bang...and beauty...for your buck. Pura Vida!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

My wife and I stayed at Casa Marbella on the last leg of our honeymoon. It was a perfect ending to a great trip. The hotel is set up on a hill, close to the action but just far enough away to set up a peaceful environment. The pool is great, the views from the rooms are beautiful and it is just a really chill place to be. Jim and Stefanie are so nice and helpful. They take great pride in their hotel and their town. If you are looking to go to a cool beach community and stay in a place that is unique, nice, and not overstocked with other travelers, Casa Marbella is the place.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
College Park, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

I just returned from my second trip to Costa Rica, and the majority of my vacation was in Santa Teresa at Casa Marbella. My friend and I decided not to make any "plans" and just go with the flow, and Casa Marbella was the perfect place to do so! The hotel has a wonderful community atmosphere, as one reviewer mentioned, and owners Stephanie and Jim are both gracious and attentive. Stephanie was able to point us to the best yoga studio in town, which was a real treat. Stephanie and Jim recommended renting an ATV to get around, and after a little practice, my friend and I found it was the best way to travel the peninsula's roads. That said, do factor some sort of 4x4 or ATV rental ($50 per 24 hours) into your budget, and ask Stephanie and Jim for road-trip recommendations. We went during the rainy season, when everything is slightly cheaper, but the weather is still beautiful and warm despite the occasional storm.

Also, bring good walking shoes (I recommend Land's End trekkers which did the trick) and sturdy flip flops. I would also advise to bring clothes you don't mind getting dirty for day trips and the such. This is not a swanky resort town, but the energy it takes to get here and around are well exerted when you see the breath-taking sunsets from your porch. The suite with a kitchen was extremely convenient, especially for making our own meals with groceries from the Super Ronny. Furthermore, Jim is a great surf instructor, and my only regret is that I didn't take my lesson earlier in the vacation so that I could practice! I will be sure to spread news of this hotel to my friends.

As a word of advice for those traveling to Costa Rica (or any country really), it is important to learn basic conversational Spanish for directions, travel, food, or simply greeting the locals "good morning" and "good evening." Attempts at these simple Spanish phrases will be rewarded with friendly smiles, warmth, and helpfulness from the locals. Costa Ricans are some of the warmest people I have met in my travels, and as travelers, one should be mindful that you are entering their home and neighborhoods. It is not their responsibility to know English, although many Costa Ricans, especially in the Mal Pais area, are multilingual. It is the traveler's responsibility to learn Spanish. That said, I highly recommend staying at Casa Marbella in Santa Teresa. It's the perfect starting point to explore the exquisite beauty of the peninsula!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

Mal Pais was one of our favorite stops on our Costa Rican Honeymoon... and Casa Marbella was the perfect hotel to enjoy the town, but also get a little tranquility up off the main road. But the best part was the killer view and the idillic infinity pool.

Jim and Stephanie were very nice and helpful. Jim's got a great selection of surf boards for guests - and it's only a short walk down the hill to the beach and some great breaks.

When we booked (3 months before the trip, but very late for the high-season) - all that was available was a single room. The suites are definitely the better option as we didn't have a kitchen... or more importantly - the beautiful decks that the suites had, but otherwise - it was perfect. I highly recommend this hotel if you are in the area.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Belmar, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

I went down with my brother and our girlfriends. The owners Jim and Stephanie are very nice people and are very accomodating. Steph even baked my girlfriend Alisha's birthday cake! The hotel itself is beautiful and the pictures online don't come close to doing it justice. We stayed in the three bedroom luxury condo and it was fantastic. Very clean with a breathtaking view. I highly recommend Casa Marbella for a romantic getaway. The surf is fun and consistant, the beaches are beautiful and Jim and Steph will point you in all the right directions as far as where to eat and things to do. I cannot say enough about how happy we all were with Caaa Marbella. I look forward to visiting again for sure. Cheers!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
New Brunswick, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

Nestled on a hill overlooking the Pacific Ocean, Casa Marbella provides everything one would want when booking a relaxing vacation. The proprietors, Jim and Stephanie, provide a great atmosphere to enjoy Mal Pais beautiful weather, exquisite scenery, and breathtaking sunsets. The service and amenities are top notch and there is no better place to stay than Casa Marbella. Hands down.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Casa MarBella? Share your experiences!