“Better Than We Could Have Imagined” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa MarBella

We can't find prices for this hotel
Casa MarBella
You added Casa MarBella to your Saves list
125 meters east and 25 meters north of Super Ronny's, Santa Teresa 5361, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Tampa, Florida
“Better Than We Could Have Imagined”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

After reading all of the reviews for Casa Marbella prior to our visit, I was expecting a wonderful experience, but it was even more fantastic that I could have imagined. We rented the 3 bedroom villa which was worth every penny to have more than 1500 ft of living space that included two large bedrooms with great views of the beach, one medium sized bedroom, 2 full bathrooms, and a large kitchen and living room area. There were only four of us in our party, but the villa could have easily accommodated 6 with plenty of room. However, the best part was the huge terrace with a full sized table that included seating for 6, 2 adirondac chairs, and my favorite - a hammock. It was simply amazing to wake up in the morning with a spectacular view from my bedroom and then to walk to the terrace and watch monkeys and listen to the surf while drinking my coffee - which by the way, they serve the VERY best coffee I have ever had. On a couple of evenings, we ordered take out and sat on our terrace and ate dinner because we really had a better view than most restaurants in Santa Teresa.

The location is perfect as a central point for visiting Mal Pais, Manzanilla, Montezuma. Curu, and Cabuya/Cabo Blanca Reserve. I was afraid my three teenage girls would get bored staying in one location for a week, but we ran out ot time to do everything that we originally planned, partly because we enjoyed just hanging out in Santa Teresa and at Casa Marbella. The girls have already begged me to plan a trip to Casa Marbella next year.

Stephanie and Jim were great hosts and arranged for ATV rentals to be delivered, provided suggestions of places to visit, and Jim was so patient when giving us surf lessons. The whole atmosphere of the place was positive and laid back and they were really sweet.

Casa Marbella will definitely be a vacation stop for us in the future.

Room Tip: Rent ATVs and take some back roads and go to Manzanilla. We saw tide pools, beaches, and countrysid...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I went on a surf/yoga retreat here with a group from Colorado. We had the most amazing time. The Hotel is immaculate. Jim, Stephanie and the staff are amazingly helpful and friendly. 2 friends went to find another hotel after the main group left and came back because they couldn't find anything even remotely comparable. They will help you by calling cabs, shuttles, book activities for you, etc. The place is so relaxing and was a joy to come back to every day. It's tucked away just off the main road with an incredible view and fantastic pool. DEFINITELY worth the trip!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Casa Marbella, is perfect hotel/environment for a journey to Costa Rica. It stays in line with the jungle and beach experience you look for when taking a trip to Santa Teresa. The hotel is located high off the main road secluded from the sound of cars, quads and people. It sits above the trees giving you a wonderful view of the ocean. The hotel is still close enough to town and the street that you can easily walk anywhere quickly and without getting tired. The rooms are very clean and comfortable with working AC and amenities. Casa Marbella has all the qualities you would expect from a high-end beach resort but with the personal touch of staying at a friends house!

The thing that really sets Casa Marbella apart from any other hotel I have stayed at is the owners, Jim and Steph. They give you an all access pass to their lives and what it is truly like to live in paradise. Everyone has fantasized about packing up and moving to live in a island paradise - these two actually did it and they do it well! Jim and Steph taught me the importance of freedom and choosing your own destiny. There are exuded this attitude with how they treated us and carried themselves.

Our trip to Casa Marbella was a memorable experience and I will most definitely be back. If you want to get the most out of your vacation put your trust in Jim and Steph and they will not let you down.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dallas, Tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Being that there are 200+ reviews almost all ranked excellent, I will try to write something different. Undoubtedly my words wont do the experience justice.

I am a 25 year old single male with a job in the finance industry that leaves me working overtime and entrepreneurial ventures that really make sure I work all of the time. I am physically very active and have traveled all over the world from the time I was a small child. I seek active, authentic vacations and came to Casa Marbella with the intention to learn how to surf. (I also do my fair share of Vegas type party vacations - not what I came here for). I traveled with a friend but look forward to coming back with a wife or whole family one day.

Location is great, facilities were perfect, town is awesome blah blah... Jim and Stephanie make Casa Marbella. They are two Americans from the coast of Florida that followed their hearts to Costa Rica and it absolutely shows through. They love their clients and live for their business. Which is ultimately teaching surfing for Jim and yoga for Stephanie while living in the most beautiful villa nestled nicely overlooking the pacific ocean. To be clear, had I had no interaction with Jim and Stephanie, no desire to surf and no interest in yoga, this review would be equally positive.

Jim had me standing up on a surf board my first try and Stephanie led the most fulfilling yoga session I have experienced having taken several hundred all over the united states from many different teachers.

As a ambitious American needing a breather from the real world, I could not have been more satisfied. The local town was authentic, filled with expats from around the world that have followed their hearts to a more peaceful life. The locals worked and lived right along side of the expat community with seemingly no divide. Not once did I encounter a beggar, thief or sketchy situation.

When I left Casa Marbella, the money I owed didn't seem adequate, nor did money at all. I am not much of one to write reviews but when an experience is this great, it seems the least I can do is to help direct others to have the same.

Room Tip: Rent an ATV, if you go to the waterfalls rent one per person, its a cool ride. Make sure you eat...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Long Beach, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Stayed here last July (should have reviewed it then) for a week, solo. What a great little place in Santa Teresa. The owners are incredibly nice, adorable daughter, and they have an amazing dog who makes friends with everyone. The rooms are clean, well air-conditioned, kept in fine condition. They have a fridge for water, beer and wine, available 24/7, just put down what you took (honor system, gotta love that) and it's yours. Short walk (down a decent hill) to the main street, with close access to the supermarket and plenty of restaurants and small shops. They know the surf breaks in and out and have boards you can use.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back and stay here again. One other great aspect is the choice of rooms. From small 1 bedrooms to some family size rentals, they can accomodate everyone. The view is spectacular, the pool is small but super nice, and they have yoga and a deck that feels like you are in the jungle. Not uncommon to see monkeys right outside your window.

In short, can't say enough good things about these guys, they deserve all of the positive reviews on here (and that's how I found them and decided to stay there, thank you TA).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

If your looking for a slice of paradise in an upscale hotel this is the place. With the: incredible infinity pool opened 9-9, super comfy beds and amazing animals; monkeys, lizards, random birds, geckos and hotel cats, it's hard not to fall in love with this place. Oh and bonus points for having AC! A must stop on any Costa Rican trip. Plus the owners are babes and that doesn't hurt either!

• Stayed June 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Casa Marbella, is, frankly, one of those places that just nails things.
The owners (Steff, Jim and their lovely little gem of a daughter) are personable and amiable to a fault. We consider them friends now after a combined 5 weeks of knowing them over 2 stays in 5 years :)
The staff are lovely, from Fausto who is just so nice to the cleaning ladies to Ameline on reception, everyone is happy to help.
The location is wonderful - up on the hill with a beautiful view and possibly the best restaurant in Santa Teresa a short (15 metre) walk up a private hillside.
The rooms are excellently finished and have everything you need to enjoy your stay. We had Room 1, with spare bedroom and terrace overlooking the ocean. Wow. Soooo relaxing.
The other guests - how often can you write that you HONESTLY made friends...not just passing acquaintances, but people you would travel to go and see again? From the North Welsh Marriage Brigade in the upstairs condo to the lovely Austrian couple across the pool, we have made some new friends.
Surfing is great here too and Jim is an excellent teacher - we came on leaps and bounds (which to be fair wasn't that tough given where we were coming from!).

I can't wait to come back - I would just love to hire the place out for all my friends and party here for a few weeks :)

Room Tip: All of the rooms are amazing - just need to decide if you want to cook or not - I would advise you d...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa MarBella? Share your experiences!