“Authentic, cathartic, inspiring” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa MarBella

We can't find prices for this hotel
Casa MarBella
Save Saved
You added Casa MarBella to your Saves list
125 meters east and 25 meters north of Super Ronny's, Santa Teresa 5361, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Dallas, Tx
“Authentic, cathartic, inspiring”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Being that there are 200+ reviews almost all ranked excellent, I will try to write something different. Undoubtedly my words wont do the experience justice.

I am a 25 year old single male with a job in the finance industry that leaves me working overtime and entrepreneurial ventures that really make sure I work all of the time. I am physically very active and have traveled all over the world from the time I was a small child. I seek active, authentic vacations and came to Casa Marbella with the intention to learn how to surf. (I also do my fair share of Vegas type party vacations - not what I came here for). I traveled with a friend but look forward to coming back with a wife or whole family one day.

Location is great, facilities were perfect, town is awesome blah blah... Jim and Stephanie make Casa Marbella. They are two Americans from the coast of Florida that followed their hearts to Costa Rica and it absolutely shows through. They love their clients and live for their business. Which is ultimately teaching surfing for Jim and yoga for Stephanie while living in the most beautiful villa nestled nicely overlooking the pacific ocean. To be clear, had I had no interaction with Jim and Stephanie, no desire to surf and no interest in yoga, this review would be equally positive.

Jim had me standing up on a surf board my first try and Stephanie led the most fulfilling yoga session I have experienced having taken several hundred all over the united states from many different teachers.

As a ambitious American needing a breather from the real world, I could not have been more satisfied. The local town was authentic, filled with expats from around the world that have followed their hearts to a more peaceful life. The locals worked and lived right along side of the expat community with seemingly no divide. Not once did I encounter a beggar, thief or sketchy situation.

When I left Casa Marbella, the money I owed didn't seem adequate, nor did money at all. I am not much of one to write reviews but when an experience is this great, it seems the least I can do is to help direct others to have the same.

Room Tip: Rent an ATV, if you go to the waterfalls rent one per person, its a cool ride. Make sure you eat...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Long Beach, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Stayed here last July (should have reviewed it then) for a week, solo. What a great little place in Santa Teresa. The owners are incredibly nice, adorable daughter, and they have an amazing dog who makes friends with everyone. The rooms are clean, well air-conditioned, kept in fine condition. They have a fridge for water, beer and wine, available 24/7, just put down what you took (honor system, gotta love that) and it's yours. Short walk (down a decent hill) to the main street, with close access to the supermarket and plenty of restaurants and small shops. They know the surf breaks in and out and have boards you can use.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back and stay here again. One other great aspect is the choice of rooms. From small 1 bedrooms to some family size rentals, they can accomodate everyone. The view is spectacular, the pool is small but super nice, and they have yoga and a deck that feels like you are in the jungle. Not uncommon to see monkeys right outside your window.

In short, can't say enough good things about these guys, they deserve all of the positive reviews on here (and that's how I found them and decided to stay there, thank you TA).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

If your looking for a slice of paradise in an upscale hotel this is the place. With the: incredible infinity pool opened 9-9, super comfy beds and amazing animals; monkeys, lizards, random birds, geckos and hotel cats, it's hard not to fall in love with this place. Oh and bonus points for having AC! A must stop on any Costa Rican trip. Plus the owners are babes and that doesn't hurt either!

• Stayed June 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Casa Marbella, is, frankly, one of those places that just nails things.
The owners (Steff, Jim and their lovely little gem of a daughter) are personable and amiable to a fault. We consider them friends now after a combined 5 weeks of knowing them over 2 stays in 5 years :)
The staff are lovely, from Fausto who is just so nice to the cleaning ladies to Ameline on reception, everyone is happy to help.
The location is wonderful - up on the hill with a beautiful view and possibly the best restaurant in Santa Teresa a short (15 metre) walk up a private hillside.
The rooms are excellently finished and have everything you need to enjoy your stay. We had Room 1, with spare bedroom and terrace overlooking the ocean. Wow. Soooo relaxing.
The other guests - how often can you write that you HONESTLY made friends...not just passing acquaintances, but people you would travel to go and see again? From the North Welsh Marriage Brigade in the upstairs condo to the lovely Austrian couple across the pool, we have made some new friends.
Surfing is great here too and Jim is an excellent teacher - we came on leaps and bounds (which to be fair wasn't that tough given where we were coming from!).

I can't wait to come back - I would just love to hire the place out for all my friends and party here for a few weeks :)

Room Tip: All of the rooms are amazing - just need to decide if you want to cook or not - I would advise you d...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I ended up here for our last night in Santa Teresa, having decided to stay a little longer than planned. We were blown away by its tranquil beauty and charm. The front desk was incredibly helpful with our travel to Arenal the following day-- which was NOT easy to arrange, but they managed (and with a smile!) . While the hotel was fully booked, it seemed like we were the only people there. Quiet, clean, romantic. And the restaurant next door was sublime. We will be back!! Highly recommend!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

A group of us have just stayed in the condo for the first part of our Costa Rica wedding holiday. We all absolutely loved it, Stephanie and Jim were fantastic, nothing was too much trouble and the surf and yoga lessons were such fun even for the beginners!!
The photo's really don't do this place justice, it was beautiful, the views from the condo really made this special, watching the monkeys and iguanas everyday and being able to watch and hear the ocean.
I couldn't recommend this place more and hope to return soon!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
asheville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Casa Marbella is an amazing place with great owners. It's in a perfect location, very convenient to everything, but removed off the main dusty road. There were 4 of us, so we stayed in the 'condo,' as suggested by Stephanie (could have easily slept 6). We were stoked upon arrival. The place was even more beautiful than in the pictures. Huge space inside plus a big balcony with epic views. Wake up and check the surf from the balcony while you sip a nice cup of coffee. It was perfect!
There are convenient outdoor showers, a pool, coffee, rental boards, and everything else you need for a seamless stay. My only concern before booking was the 'no breakfast' on site. However, it was not an issue. There is a great breakfast spot right next door or another one just a short walk down the hill. We would have been bummed if we would have stayed anywhere else. Don't hesitate to book with these guys, you will be happy you did. We cannot say enough good things about this place...we are already dreaming of our return!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Casa MarBella? Share your experiences!