My husband is from Costa Rica so we go at least once a year to visit his family. We always take a few days to go the beach, and by now we've seen MANY in Costa Rica. There's often a little bit of a trade-off: more developed areas have more comfortable accommodation but are overcrowded, and more remote/ less traveled beaches sometimes lack interesting accommodation options (or, the more interesting ones are very pricey). I'll be lobbying my husband so that now we always come back to Santa Teresa and Casa Marbella, whenever we have the time to drive out there from San José. Time to stop trying new beaches! Casa Marbella strikes the perfect balance: comfortable, pleasant and clean accommodation yet a little bit off the beaten path. The Inn is not too big, so it remains quiet but with enough open spaces to meet with people who might be staying in other rooms. We were there with friends last April, and we were occupying one suite and two regular rooms, so it was nice to be able to relax and hang out by the pool as a small group.
Stephanie and Jim were very nice and helpful, and had good recommendations for the area. All their staff was also extremely nice. The restaurant next door, Brisas del Mar, is definitely worth it. The breakfast deal they have with Casa Marbella is the way to go. The yoga deck is an incredible feature and for me that meant bonus points. The beautiful pool offers a very welcome break from the sun (which was scorching while were were there at the very end of the dry season). Wifi is a little spotty, but what do you want - you have to drive on dirt roads for two + hours to get to Santa Teresa so I don't think too much should be expected on that front. Also, no one should be spending time on the internet while in this beautiful location!
The beach is just a five minutes walk away, but if you have a car I would recommend that you use it to try other spots a bit outside of Santa Teresa. But no matter where you go, it's among the most beautiful beaches of Costa Rica.
In summary, I was reluctant to write this review only because part of me feels like I need to jealously protect the "secret" catch of a hotel that Casa Marbella is, so that it's there for us when we go in the future! Although judging by the other reviews, it's pretty clear now that the word is out!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casa Marbella is a boutique style hotel centrally located in Santa Teresa, across the street from the beach on a hill overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Our guests can enjoy all that Santa Teresa/Mal Pais has to offer in comfort, style and security. It is a place where visitors can hear howler monkeys while watching the immense blue Pacific with a cool drink in his hand. After relaxing, it is just a short stroll to the beach, shopping, night life, restaurants, etc. We offer ocean view rooms, suites and condominiums with A/C, kitchen, in-room safe and more. Right in front of your door you will enjoy our refreshing pool with infinity edge. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Casa Marbella Santa Teresa
- Casa Marbella Hotel Santa Teresa
- Casa MarBella Costa Rica/Santa Teresa