“Relax in a Tropical Wonderland” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villas Hermosas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Villas Hermosas
You added Villas Hermosas to your Saves list
400 mts sur de la escuela Hermosa Valley | San Martin de Cobano, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Westfield, New Jersey
“Relax in a Tropical Wonderland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

We found our new "happy place" and its name is Villas Hermosas!

From the moment we pulled up to this beautiful resort, our vacation reach another level. It's SOOOOO comfortable and I loved coming back to this place to relax between all the activity and adventure! Brad and Tara made us feel like old friends right away (my kids were sad to part with theirs when we left) and were quick to share information about some of their favorite beach spots, restaurants and activities. The grounds are beautiful and the villas are immaculate and fully equipped with all the comforts of home. Our kids (3, 5 and 8) could not have been happier in our 2 bedroom/2 bathroom villa that looked out onto a pristine pool that we enjoyed several times a day. They also enjoyed the howler monkeys that came to visit us daily.

Our villa was just steps from the beach and the path to get there took us through a shady, breezy almond grove that provided the perfect spot for watching the magnificent sunsets. The beach area to the left is more rocky and a 5-10 minute walk in that direction at low tide will bring you to some great tide pools, where we were able to snorkel and check out all kinds of colorful and interesting sea creatures. The beach to the right offers silky sand, pretty pink shells and some great surfing. My family enjoyed exploring in both directions.

During our stay, Brad hooked my husband and 8 year-old son up with surf lessons from Chris, who was terrific. Brad and Tara also helped us rent a car (4x4 a MUST) when we decided we wanted to do a bit more exploring and directed us to Manzanillo, where we had long stretches of gorgeous beach entirely to ourselves.

There is no restaurant at this resort, but there's a nice breakfast in the mornings right by the pool and the villa has a book with a variety of menus for restaurants that deliver to the hotel. There are also a couple of restaurants just a short walk up the beach. If you have a car, I highly recommend a sunset dinner at Brisas del Mar. Yum! And if you have kids, bring bathing suits - mine were very upset that they didn't have theirs on when they saw the pool.

We will definitely be back. I'm missing it already!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Winkler
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

We are from Canada and this was our first trip to Costa Rica, and definitely not our last. We had tried to book this place several months ahead of time but it was booked. We decided to go look at the place to see what we had missed. Take your breathe away beautiful! When we got to the property we went to the office to ask if we could look at the place. The owner was wonderful. He showed us the beach and one of the rooms. The beach is very private and very beautiful! The pool is large and looks great! The villas are huge (with really high ceilings), clean and beautiful. Being there only for a little while we already knew it will be one of the places we will be staying at next time. Make sure to book quite early as this one is always booked. It felt very tropical with the beautiful trees, the monkeys in the trees and everything else. A secret paradise hidden from the world! Everything was clean and taken care of. Thank you Brad for taking the time to show us your villas. The way he treated us we knew we would be well taken care of when staying there. He gave us a lot of information on the area too. We will definitely be making this one of our stays in Costa Rica next time.

colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

After hours and hours of research on where to go on vacation and then which place to stay at I chose Villas Hermosas due to the outsanding reviews. This was my first trip to a villa type stay vs a big resort type vacation.

I must say when we were driving to Santa Theresa I was a bit nervous...the roads were nothing like I was used to but it is all part of what made this trip so unique. Then we get to Villas Hermosas and the smile could not be hidden on my face. The ground there are so beautiful, the villas are great looking, the pool was just the right size, and the friendly faces of Brad and Tara to welcome us. Tara walked us towards the ocean towards our honeymoon villa and it was even more romantic and beautiful then any picture could capture. I was so excited to have such a spacious villa so close to the ocean!

This vacation was unique in so many ways. I loved the lizards roaming around everywhere, geckos by our door each night, the monkeys that would make noises through the trees and even hang out above your head in the pool. I loved the seashells along the beach...ohh the beach! Well, the beach was so private. I must say I you will feel as if the beach belongs to you!! You might have to share it with a couple surfers off in the far distance that give you a little show! Sunsets are amazing here--you almost plan your whole evenings around them--don't want to miss them.

Brad and Tara (and their darling kids!) are all people you wish you could take home with you! They are so much fun and radiate such positive energy. It is impossible not to have a laugh around them. They are so knowledgable about Costa Rica and will share this with you or help you plan your acitivities for the day/evening (and only the best I might say!). I will say I have never had service like they give you---with such personal individual care--and yes they really do care!

Like I had read before---the ATV tour with Brad is totally worth it. A must for sure---you get a peak of the area that you just can't any other way. We did the zipline Tara set up and it was fun too. Thanks to Tara letting me borrow some shoes so I could go on it. We fell in love with an amazing resturant Tara recomended that had a view of the sunset that was unreal. The food there was so amazing--we couldn't get enough and went twice during our stay.
Next time I think we might rent an ATV to get around town. And girls don't worry about packing a lot!! Seriously...I am a bad over packer and you really only need a couple swimsuits, coverups, and some shorts/tanks, or fun casual sundresses. It is so casual around here and you are mostly in your suit that you don't need a lot! If you over pack anything it should be sunblock and lotions!

Villas Hermosas grounds are beautiful and well taken care of. Everything inside is so clean and the housekeepers are very sweet. Breakfast is cooked by the wonderful bubbly and friendly Kristy who makes great eggs! We no problems with bugs actually never really saw anything flying around. A crab tried to get in our room once and a gecko in our suitcase (we found it pretty amusing) but that was it! And if you don't want to the store or run out of food the honor system fridge is perfect---must say the ice cream in there tasted pretty good come mid afternoon!

Funny thing was we just couldn't stop talking about our next trip here. Or if our next trip we wanted to take others to show them how wondeful it was or keep it to ourselves!! This vacation was unlike any other trip I had taken but that is something that made it so special. Sometimes it is nice to go out of the norm you know? I see it being great for something like we did (romantic couple trip), fun for a group of couples, or fun for the whole family!

Only wish we would have stayed a little bit longer!! We miss it all--the ocean, the beach, the wildlife, Villas Hermosas, the pool with the waterfalls, Brad, Tara, and their kiddos! Can't thank Tara and Brad enough for everything--they made this trip amazing and they are a fabulous team!

Tucson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

Perfect is the only way to describe Villa Hermosa. From beginning to end.
Secluded yet close to everything you might need;
Beautiful grounds, monkeys included;
Our villa was fantastic;
The staff friendly and made us feel like old friends;
Morning breakfast in the Rancho was a true treat;
Sunset on the beach was a real joy;
The owners, Brad, Tara and the "kids" were the greatest.
In short everything was perfect.

Etters, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

It is a little hard for me to add to all that has been said about Villas Hermosas. Just know that what has been said is all true and it is all there for your total pleasure.

I've been fortunate to have been able to travel to many places in my life and this place was hands down the most comfortable and hospitable place I've ever stayed. Hospitality is a huge word for me in that it is so much more than providing a beautiful place to stay with all the amenities and people to take care of your every need. Hospitality is creating an environment that makes you feel welcome, relaxed and special. Not forced but more a part of the character of the place and people. An environment that gives you space to create your own experience and the means to make it happen in a caring manner. Villas Hermosas is just that kind of place. Tara and Brad love what they do and they do it extremely well. They are fun loving, upbeat and gracious hosts. And, they have help that enjoys the same attitudes. They did everything possible to make our stay what we had hoped and wanted it to be and it was.

I especially liked the size of Villa Hermosas. With three villas and a honeymoon suite it is a way different experience than what you'd have at a larger place. No crowds, just a dozen or so like-minded people wanting to relax, enjoy life for a while, and experience what life has to offer in a distant land.

Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

The drive to Villas Hermosas from the ferry landing in Pacquera was a little long on the dusty and bumpy Costa Rican roads. But, as soon as we pulled into the parking area @ VH, we were delighted to find a real gem in the middle of the jungle! Brad and Tara, the hosts, were wonderful, and we were in awe at the natural beauty around us. The cleverly designed villa was very comfortable and had everything we needed, plus some unexpected surprises. The central location allowed us to take in zip-lining, hiking, fishing, and Brad's ATV tour. Whether to relax poolside, or in the shade of the Almond Tree Grove looking out at the waves of the Pacific Ocean, was one of the most difficult decisions we made all week! We hope to return again, the sooner, the better!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
long island new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

I've stayed in several hotels in this area over the years and my wife and I enjoy this one the best. I'd say it's a combination of the location, the beauty of the area, the facilities and the owners themselves. Tara and Brad are extremely kind, friendly and accomodating and their staff follow their lead. They have a beautiful piece of property, right on the beach and their design of the buildings and pool blend in seamlessly with the environment. We stayed in the honeymoon villa which is like having your own house, with front porch and hammock, right on the beach. Just walk along a short, shaded, path and you're at the waters edge. The bed is very comfortable with a nice, firm mattress. The shower is spacious and great water pressure. Cable TV and DVD player in case you have a few free minutes. Although there is an air conditioner, we found it was only necessary in the heat of the mid afternoon; if we were in the villa. The natural air and breezes keep it very agreeable and this is the hottest time of the year. This part of the country is for a vacation that's different and a bit more untame than the usual. No high rises or chain stores. The area is a little like the wild west but now with some beautiful places to stay and food that is unbelievably great wherever you go. World class surf is right outside. Interesting travelers from all over the world. The cold cervezas flow naturally and freely. Come here soon before they pave the roads and the masses arrive to change it forever. You won't be sorry if you spend some time at Villas Hermosas. Just keep a couple of weeks open for us next winter. I don't want to have to go somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Villas Hermosas? Share your experiences!