“This is what heaven must be like” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villas Hermosas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Villas Hermosas
400 mts sur de la escuela Hermosa Valley | San Martin de Cobano, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Special Price
15% Off in April!
Ranked #2 of 25 hotels in Santa Teresa
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“This is what heaven must be like”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Ok, no angels singing, but the sound of howler monkeys probably makes up for it. My partner and I had 8 nights there towards the end of November 2012. Wow. We had already been a week in Costa Rica sampling the delights of the rain forest and cloud forest prior to our arrival at Villas Hermosas and were ready for serious chill out on the beach. We could not have chosen a better place. Tara and Brad were fantastic - nothing was too much trouble - and being Brits we (Brits always apologise for asking for anything) were made to feel at home and "part of the family". Breakfasts were great. Villa's superb. Beach awesome. Weather incredible. I could go on and on but one thing is for certain if Costa Rica is on your "bucket list" (oh and if it is not it should be!) then make room for staying at Villas Hermosas in Santa Teresa you will not be disappointed.

There are numerous ways of getting there but by far the easiest is to fly to the local airport (Tambor) from San Jose about a 45 min drive. We were driven all the way down from the Arenal area to Santa Teresa (about 6 hours including ferry). Note the roads are pretty rough at times and you will defo need a 4x4 vehicle when you get there although there are two very good local restaurants within 10 mins walk from Villas Hermosas and the Villas do have cooking facilities if you are that way inclined - who cooks whilst on holiday though? However, Brad and Tara will advise on where to eat and there is an excellent folder in the villa(s) with everything you need to know about the area.

Finally, a must do thing while with Tara and Brad - do Brad's quad/(ATV) tour - awesome and the best fun in ages (although you do get a little dusty - well a lot actually). Sunglasses a must if you wear contact lenses!!!!!

This world is far too big to visit somewhere twice, as my partner keeps reminding me, but even she says she would like to go back to Villas Hermosas! High praise indeed. Incidentally regarding Costa Rica as a whole, I have been lucky enough to travel to many places in this world and Costa Rica is up there with the best, if not THE best country I have ever visited. My partner likened it to a compact version of Australia (but without the desert).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

245 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Brad and Tara are perfect owners. Visably fun and energetic, yet very relaxed, they quickly became friends of our whole group of approx 20 people. We were there for a full week to celebrate the wedding of Eddie and Amy which took place midweek of our stay. Brad and Tara gave wonderful help in the planning of our outdoor adventures such as renting Quads, Snorkeling and Zip-Lining and would always take us up on our invitation for them to join us whenever their schedule permitted. They always added extra fun for our group. Their staff were all very polite and seemed to take great pride in their work to keep accommodations in tip-top condition at all times. Very attractive, fun,and informative also was Christy, who prepared us each a full and delicious breakfast daily cooked to order. The villas were spacious, clean and very well air-conditioned. We immediately fell in love with Costa Rica very much due to the fact that our stay was at Villas Hermosas. The beautiful beach there within walking distance was great for those of us that enjoy the surf. A nice note that recycling was very important to the staff and they were dilligent in saving any suitable food scraps for the jungle animals nearby such as the monkeys. The pool was beautiful and the surrounding area was spacious with plenty of available shade and perfectly manicured. I could go on and on with only good things to say about our stay with Brad and Tara at Villas Hermosa. It is simply an excellent choice for anyone who wants a great atmosphere and a perfect vacation spot. We had many fine dinners at restaurants nearby. Who could ask for more? Cathie Stevens...Baton Rouge, LA.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I don't have the words to adequately express how thankful I am that we chose Villas Hermosas for our destination wedding. Tara (owner/manager) was amazingly helpful and her recommendations are spot on from restaurants to excursions and even her suggestions on who to use for my wedding. This is one place that is even more beautiful in person than in the pictures. It's perfectly maintained, the housekeeping is great, the breakfast by Christy in the Rancho awesome, the pool is gorgeous, and the sunsets on their beach breathtaking. Brad and Tara are so much fun and just made our stay even more of a blast. We had a large group and were so spoiled by the accommodations that we spent our last day trying to figure out how we could make a living there to stay for good! Whatever you do: listen to Tara. Everything she told us to do was so much fun and the food was great. Don't miss Brad's ATV tour. Even their dog Reef is accommodating and will escort you to and from the beach as well around the property. We will be back as soon as we can make it. And, Tara will always have a special place in my heart for making my wedding beyond anything I could have imagined. I wouldn't change a thing and wish I could live the trip all over again!

Room Tip: we stayed in the honeymoon villa which was perfect for a couple but all of the villas are awesome
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at Villas Hermosas and let me just say - It is absolutely everything that I could have ever expected, hoped for, and more. We went during the "spring" season for our Honeymoon and were not disappointed.

For starters, Villas Hermosas is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. It is truly an unreal experience to see it for the first time. For those who have been to Costa Rica before, prepare to be surprised because Villas Hermosas will still take your breath away. The gardener/general handyman Ernesto does a wonderful job at maintaining the grounds and keeping them amazingly beautiful for the guests. The pool and rancho area (as shown in the pictures) are also quite pretty. The concrete work on the pool is very ornate and at night, the pool even glows green/blue.

While on our stay, my wife and I stayed in both one of the Villas as well as the Honeymoon Suite. In our opinion, the Villas provide a perfect place for families or larger groups to travel. They are just as beautiful inside as they are outside, and have all the amenities of home (i.e. TV, Kitchen etc). Plus, they are HUGE! We had far more space than we needed. We preferred the Honeymoon Suite out of the two because it was much more "our style." It was cozy, right on the beach, beautiful, and the perfect place to relax and enjoy your honeymoon. The decorations in all the accommodations were spot on, and the furnishings were comfortable and relaxing. The hammock on the porch was the perfect place to take a quick nap while the wife wen't to Yoga at Pranamar! Interesting fact: the Honeymoon Suite is 8 meters x 8 meters and 1 meter off the ground, yet, still manages to be the perfect size for a vacation for two. Also remember that both the Villas and the Honeymoon Suite could very well be lived in as a full time home - so you can expect all the amenities of your own home.

Santa Teresa was definitely the place to go. The town, although a little far from Villas Hermosas (get a ride of some sort), had everything you needed during your stay. The vibe in town was great! Lots of locals and surfers just there to live pura vida!

The staff at Villas Hermosas is fantastic. Brad and Tara are great people. They both are extremely helpful and will mostly help you plan out any adventure you wish to undertake. Brad even helped me set up surfing lessons at 8pm the night before I wanted lessons. Christy and Nidia make breakfast in the morning and both of them do a STELLAR job! Plus, you can ask both of them just about anything from what to do around town to what "tunanis" means. Just make sure you have Gallo Pinto - The Costa Rican breakfast standard. We loved Christy's so much that I've been trying to copy it here at home! The maids and groundskeepers keep everything tip-top and Villas Hermosas wouldn't be the same without them.

I did not feel unsafe or threatened ONCE during my entire time in Costa Rica. It was an added comfort to know that Brad, Tara, Reef (the dog), and the Security Guard all watched over the Villas as the guests slept. So for those of you who are worried, DON'T!

The only slightly negative aspect to mention is that getting to Villas Hermosas can be a chore. It will definitely require some travel time. Be prepared! The only other aspect to consider is that Villas Hermosas is located right on the outskirts of town. Personally, that's how I wanted it, however, if you want to socialize and walk to all your destinations, Villas Hermosas may not be the right fit for you. Just do your research!

I would like to end by saying that my wife and I are already dreaming/planning of when we can return to the Villas Hermosas to have another amazing vacation!

Room Tip: They are all good!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

With so many great places in the world to explore, it's tough to find a spot so compelling that we will continue to return to year after year, especially when the location presents an arduous trek. However when the destination is so sublime, the long expedition becomes a combination adventure/pilgrimage to return and restore your connections with an incredibly special place and people.

Brad and Tara have created the perfect atmosphere for enjoying the best of Santa Teresa and Costa Rica. With their handful of guest villas on stunning stretch of Playa Hermosa, the atmosphere feels much more akin to that of extended family than "resort". We've never stayed in the very cute "Honeymoon Villa", situated beachfront, but haven't felt as if we had any lessening of our experience by staying in one of the poolside villas. Each of the poolside villas offers an identical layout of 2 generous sized bedrooms with 2 large baths, spacious living/family room, kitchen and dining area. The construction is new, the plumbing and air conditioning work beautifully and we've made frequent use of the kitchen to make meals, keep snacks and cocktails as a supplement to the very good local cuisine. The gas grill and outdoor kitchen by the pool is also a excellent place to feast on the best of the local fare, as you grill up fish under the stars.

Speaking of food, Christy's breakfasts are not to be missed. There's no better way to start your day (after surfing dawn patrol) than local organic eggs, fresh fruit and waffles washed down with Costa Rican coffee. Another bonus to their location is that Koji's (the best sushi Resturant on the Nicoia peninsula) and Pranamar (fantastic yoga and solid cuisine) are within easy walks of Villas Hermosa.

Last but not least, Brad stocks a a very nice quiver of boards suitable for surfers of various skill levels and surf conditions for the sweet local break just down the beach.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kennewick, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Tuanis - costa rican adjective for a general sense of well being. This place will set you straight. You can make it what you want. Want to lounge at the beach? Check. Want to experience some of the most remote beautiful locations in the world on a ATV? Check. Want to enjoy some of the best food in the world? Check. Want to meet wonderful people everywhere you go? Check. We celebrated our 10th anniversary here, and can't wait to return. Everything you have read is very true, and it is no wonder that even when you talk to locals, they say that Tara and Brad at villas hermosas is the only place to be. The staff top to bottom was top-notch! It was safe and comfortable. They even have Reef the dog to follow you to the beach and watch your belongings while you play in the ocean. TUANIS! We didn't mess with anywhere else in CR, because that would be a waste of time. All vacations are ruined because nothing will compare to this place. Almost didn't want to write this because I want it to myself. The journey to Santa Theresa is not simple, but the villas will blow your mind!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Union, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Serenity
It would be entirely quiet if not for the sound of the pacific ocean waves crashing onto the beach that's 100 yards away. Laying down on a day bed just feet from the love of my life is awesome. What a beautiful and peaceful place this is. It feels like it will be this way forever.

Relaxation. Just breathing this air, it's different. It's so very clean. I don't have anything to compare it to because I've never breathed in clean air such as this. It's so clean that it feels like it can heal the soul. It can repair broken hearts. It can probably mend broken promises.

Sunset. A place where the setting sun and the rising tides meet. A place where the sun fades away and the moon takes over. But not before making a spectacular show of colors and lights. A show of natures almighty strength and grandeur. A display of natures' awe inspiring beauty and magnificence. It feels like forever, it's like the stars align for you.
It's a place that will take your breath away and replace it will pure air. It fills you with happiness. It makes you realize how minuscule you really are in this world. And if you have been misguided this place will remind you what's really important. What matters most in life. The small worries and discomforts of every day life are not such a big deal anymore. Are they really discomforts? Or are they moments where things didn't go your way?
Why worry about it? Just let yourself enjoy everything about this beautiful time that we call living life.

The hills on the countryside feel like home. It feels like where you wanna be. The nature and green pastures feel like they embrace you and remind you what life's all about. The friendliness and kindness is never-ending.

Villas Hermosas in Santa Teresa, Costa Rica, Pura Vida is the phrase that comes to mind. The villas are set up beautifully. We stayed in the Blue Villa which is near the pool. We had two bedrooms and two baths, a kitchen, dining area and two patios. The living room boasts a cathedral style ceiling that by my guess must of been at least 15 feet in diameter and 30 feet high. It was astonishing to look at. It has ambient lighting within the ceiling which makes it glow at night.

The staff are extremely friendly, pleasant, helpful, resourceful and really compliment the beauty that surrounds. The hotel has a stretch of beach which is relatively unvisited by many people. If your looking to walk a 1 mile stretch of beach and only see surfers in the distance, locals fishing patiently and your other half (husband, boyfriend, wife or girlfriend) smile and love it all, then this is the place you wanna be.

I've been to several places around the world and the on-going theme at "tourist destinations" is that I've felt like everyone around was looking to make a quick dollar off of me. Aggressive vendors are a total turnoff for me when I'm on vacation. At Villas Hermosas you will not feel that way. There are no vendors patrolling the beaches and the stores in the town of Santa Teresa are run by some of the friendliest people you will ever meet.

If you want to go somewhere to cleanse your soul, ponder what direction your life should take, and start over with a renewed outlook on life then you need to go to this hotel.

The owners Tara and Brad are some of the sweetest people you will ever meet. Down to earth is an understatement if I'm going to describe them. They make you feel at home but are never in your way. They are so welcoming that i feel like if i don't see them every year I will truly miss them.

Brad is probably my brother from another mother. I didn't get to say goodbye before I left, so ill see you next time bro.

Their good-hearted ways are so obvious and just enhance your vacation ten-fold. If you need something from them, just ask.

Brad runs a quad (ATV) tour which takes you through some of the most beautiful countrysides and greenery that I've ever seen. It's an all day tour but definitely a must do activity if you want to see one of the most beautiful spots in CR. this place is only accessibly by ATV. It's guaranteed to take your breath away.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't think I'm going too far by saying that Villas Hermosas is a beautiful place. They have gardens throughout the property that have awesome looking flowers and plants of all kinds which are meticulously cared for by a local gardener. When you see the garden you will agree that he has a beautiful mind along with a very green thumb.

My wife and I are foodies and Tara knew just what we needed. Tara arranged for a private chef to come and prepare a dinner for us. It felt like we were Live on a Food Network Show. It was a really cool experience.

I think I've said enough. If you need a break from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, then this is where your next vacation should be.
Now the secret's out!

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Villas Hermosas? Share your experiences!