My wife and I stayed here for our 10th anniversary and it was a wonderful place. Very scenic and relaxing.
I wouldn't do this part again, but we drove from Liberia and the GPS got us lost and tried to take us over a 50-foot wide river (that had no bridge). This was during the rainy season. The roads were insanely bad. Every place the GPS tried to take us involved crossing several 10-20 foot wide streams, some of which we crossed, others looked a little too risky. After being lost for several hours in the rain, we didn't get to VH until something like 11pm and we were miserable, but relieved to finally arrive. Fortunately, Brad's uncle was waiting for us when we arrived!
The room was great/clean/spacious and practically right on the beach, which is empty 98% of the time. Somehow a crab got into the room and freaked my wife out (hilarious- she thought it was a large spider). Breakfast (free) was quite fresh and tasty - eggs, fruit, beans/rice, juice, and coffee. Brad and Tara have a well-stocked DVD library for the rainy times.
Definitely try Playa de las Artistas (tough to beat a good meal right on the beach) and Chicken Joe's (simple and delicious). The local grocery store had everything we needed. Tara and Brad were very helpful with their suggestions on activities & directions.
The only downsides were the roads, the beach right in front of our villa had a lot of washed up deadwood, and just the volume of rain during the rainy season.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The distinctive beachfront hotel, Villas Hermosas, is located in Playa Hermosa of Mal Pais on the Pacific Ocean in Costa Rica. Please come and share with them their playful surf, thriving jungle, empty beaches, tropical gardens, and inviting swimming pool, while enjoying all the comforts of home! With only four villas, they offer a uniquely intimate experience. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Villas Hermosas Hotel Santa Teresa
- Hermosas Hotel Santa Teresa
- Villas Hermosas Costa Rica/Santa Teresa