“Wonderful place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villas Hermosas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Villas Hermosas
You added Villas Hermosas to your Saves list
400 mts sur de la escuela Hermosa Valley | San Martin de Cobano, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Rochester, New York
“Wonderful place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for our 10th anniversary and it was a wonderful place. Very scenic and relaxing.

I wouldn't do this part again, but we drove from Liberia and the GPS got us lost and tried to take us over a 50-foot wide river (that had no bridge). This was during the rainy season. The roads were insanely bad. Every place the GPS tried to take us involved crossing several 10-20 foot wide streams, some of which we crossed, others looked a little too risky. After being lost for several hours in the rain, we didn't get to VH until something like 11pm and we were miserable, but relieved to finally arrive. Fortunately, Brad's uncle was waiting for us when we arrived!

The room was great/clean/spacious and practically right on the beach, which is empty 98% of the time. Somehow a crab got into the room and freaked my wife out (hilarious- she thought it was a large spider). Breakfast (free) was quite fresh and tasty - eggs, fruit, beans/rice, juice, and coffee. Brad and Tara have a well-stocked DVD library for the rainy times.

Definitely try Playa de las Artistas (tough to beat a good meal right on the beach) and Chicken Joe's (simple and delicious). The local grocery store had everything we needed. Tara and Brad were very helpful with their suggestions on activities & directions.

The only downsides were the roads, the beach right in front of our villa had a lot of washed up deadwood, and just the volume of rain during the rainy season.

Room Tip: Do no underestimate the awfulness of the roads.
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

Unforgettable family vacation with our 8 and 10 year old children. The long journey was well worth it! Highly reccommend taking the small plane from San Jose to Tambor instead of the 5 hour drive and ferry ride. The flight was 30 minutes and it was a 45 minute bumpy ride to the villas in our rental car. If you are renting a car someone should know how to drive a stick shift and yes you should purchase the extra insurance. The property is beautiful and well maintained. I could not believe how spacious our villa was. The breakfast served in the Rancho was amazing and it was always fun to catch up with the other guests and hear about their adventures. What makes this place so special is you feel you are secluded on your own little piece of paradise. Brad and Tara take great care to ensure you have a wonderful time.
Things to do:
1. Brad's ATV tour
2. Zipline and waterfall tour
3. Snorkel on reef near villas
The food is wonderful here and all reccommendations were spot on. My favoirtes were Koji and Brisas del Mar. Also, the tuna burger at Burger Ranchos was yummy. Our last evening some friends we met from New York bought some fish from Product C and made an amazing dinner for us in the Rancho. The sun sets around 6pm and since the kids were in the pool or the ocean from 8:30am-7:30pm they were ready for bed around 8:00pm each night! We had great fun going out to dinner with friends we met here and hanging out watching the sunset together. We found a great art studio in town and bought a print to take home. I will always treasure the memories of this trip!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011 via mobile

My husband and I recently spent 9 nights at Villas Hermosas for our honeymoon.

The honeymoon suite was already booked so we stayed in the Blue Villa, which was Huge and very nice.

The linens were super soft and the bed was very comfortable. The towels were soft and the air conditioner (one in each room) was great and made napping and sleeping more enjoyable.

I was a bit apprehensive about traveling to Costa Rica because I hate bugs. I saw a few small bugs here and there on the floor but nothing bad at all! We did have a tiny crab make his way into our room but he was harmless and cute and my husband just picked him up and put him back outside.

We loved the grounds at Villas Hermosas as well as the two dogs who live there. The lab, Reef, is a sweetheart and will follow you to the beach and swim in the water or sit with you by the pool.

Like everyone else has said, Brad and Tara are Amazing hosts and will help you with anything and everything you need. Their restaurant recommendations are spot on and we couldn't have been happier with their advice.

All the restaurants were great but our favorites were:
Brisas Del Mar-Amazing view, great food and drinks
Ambrosia-Great food and the owner, Kari, is a doll!
Product C - Best Ceviche and Fish Tacos of our lives!
Koji- Yummy drinks, sushi and Pork Adobo!

As for activities, we visited Curu where we saw monkeys (some very close up), hiked to the waterfall in Montezuma and also had a BLAST on Brad's quad tour!!!

All in all, we had the most incredible honeymoon and could not have picked a better hotel to stay at! We can't wait to go back and bring all our friends and family!

Thanks, Brad and Tara!

~Lauren and Ben

• Stayed July 2011
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

We stayed at Villas Hermosas on our honeymoon. I had originally booked it for only four nights, but after reading more reviews on here, I thought an extra night would be a good idea. Once we got there we extended it yet again, and ended up staying six. (we lucked out that there was a vacancy for one night). If, I mean when, I go to Costa Rica again, I don't plan on going anywhere else.
Warnings for hard to please travelers: Getting there is hard, the roads are beyond horrible. There are critters and bugs and stuff there-- it's the jungle! No, you can't flush the toilet paper-- because you can't flush it anywhere in Costa Rica. None of these are a reflection of the property, and none of it bothered me a bit.
We stayed in the Honeymoon Villa. It was bigger than it looked in the photos, and felt very much like our home by the time we left. Brad set up surf lessons for us, and we spent a few days practicing our skills on the beach right to the north of the property. I can't say enough nice things about Villas Hermosas, Brad, Tara, their kids and dogs, and the entire Santa Teresa area! The ferry ride out felt like the saddest day of my life.
We're already planning our next trip!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

I was skeptical of all the positive reviews on here but we really did have an amazing stay here. Our family of 4 came for our parents' anniversary and the size of the villa was perfect. 2 bedrooms (1 with a queen size bed, the other had 2 twin beds) as well as a pullout sofa in the main room so it was very comfortable. Everything was clean and modern, and they also have complimentary spring water. We had e-mailed ahead to set up champagne for our parents on arrival, and Brad and Tara also gave our family a bottle of wine to celebrate the anniversary which was a nice touch.

Location was very good, it's a little ways from the "downtown" but it's right on the beach in a popular surfing spot. The beach isn't crowded and it's like having your own private area. The grounds of the property are very nice, with a swimming pool and rancho in the middle where breakfast is served, and they also have an honor system fridge that stores everything from beer to snacks. If you take it just mark it down and they'll add it to the bill at the end (at fair prices, it's not like paying $10 for a beer from a mini fridge in your typical hotel room). Breakfast was also amazing, with eggs, fresh fruit, banana pancakes, etc.

Service was outstanding the entire time. Both Brad and Tara have excellent knowledge of the area and were more than happy to set up activities for us, as well as make dinner reservations. Any type of question you may have they are more than willing to help out and they really made it a great stay. It's also a great place to meet other people traveling, as you can hang out by the pool and villa and relax. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a stay in Costa Rica, and I hope I'll be back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

We recently spent a week at Villas Hermosas & I can honestly say that it was the best vacation experience I have had. Brad & Tara are fantastic hosts & made us feel at home from the moment we arrived. Both of them have an immense knowledge of the area, they reccomended great restaurants as well as day trips. We took a quad tour with Brad & had a blast, it is a great way to see the area.
Villas Hermosas has three villas & a honeymoon suite, we had the red villa. It was very well accomodated with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room & kitchen. The beds & linens were so comfortable, I sleep very well each night. They provide the comforts of home while surrounded by jungle! The grounds of Villas Hermosas are beautiful. Very lush with tons of tropical flowers. The beach is amazing also. We saw monkeys in the trees just a short walk from the hotel! That made my day. I could go on & on about the incredible experience we had. If I could figure out a way to do it & if they would have me, I would to Villas Hermosas full time!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

We honeymooned for a fortnight at Villa Hermosas and it was idyllic. The location is beautiful (and right by a great surf break) the accomodation is spacious and secluded and in addition the service is the best we've experienced. Brad & Tara are great hosts - ensuring that you have a great holiday and no request is too much trouble. They seamlessly arrange everything from trips around national parks to an excellent bottle of wine for sunset by the pool. All of the staff at Villa Hermosas are very polite and friendly and all the details like maid service and breakfast run very smoothly.
A final measure of how Tara and Brad are connected in the area is that every restaurant or service provider that they recommended proved to be excellent service and value for money - Even the end of our stay was improved despite our flight transfer from Tambor back to San Jose being cancelled at the 11th hour due to topical storms. The taxi driver that Tara arranged to take us to Tambor airport was very kind and drove us all the way to San Jose -a 5 hour journey in heavy rains - in time for us to catch our international flight home for a fair price.
We have never written a review before but the trip was so amazing it convinced us to put pen to paper! We can't recommend this spot and Villa Hermosas enough, it really is the perfect place to have a break from everything!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Villas Hermosas? Share your experiences!