“First time Costa trip” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 30 Santa Teresa B&B and Inns
Ojai, California, United States
“First time Costa trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

After years of dreaming about surfing warm Costa Rica water I came to a place in my life where I had the time and resources to actually do it. After extensive research I decided to stay at the Blue Surf for a couple reasons, I guess number one because it is affiliated with Billabong, second because it wasn't the cheapest therefore could count on safety and cleanliness, and third because the staff and owners were so pleasant and attentive in helping accommodate me in my travel plans. My twenty two year old son and I flew from LAX to San Jose then hopped Nature Air (spectacular sights) and was greeted by a friendly cab driver sent to meet us by Blue Surf in Tambor. Nice. Forty five minute drive to Blue Surf and for first timers it really was a sanctuary, it was night so a big friendly security staff member helped us with our bags to our very pleasant bungalow. Split level with charming siesta area on floor level with classic outdoor hammock style outdoor bed and upper level open floor plan with high ceilings, wood floors and really cool balcony to have coffee and listen to prehistoric sounding monkeys. This place is perfect for the traveler that wants the details taken care of in a sensitive manner, for instance the surf instructors were pretty much there every morning to encourage stoke and would continue to go out with whoever felt like it throughout the day then watch footage in the communal kitchen later. After my son went home I was able to stay a couple more weeks in Costa in part to the cool people I met in the area and the staff at Blue Surf. Oh and by the way incredible surf.

Room Tip: They are all good pool is nice.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Littleton, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Me and my new with had a great time at Blue Surf Sanctuary. We arrived a little late and right away had helpful people helping us with ideas with where to eat. We went surfing, ATV riding, and just enjoyed all of the restaurants in the area. The staff was extremely helpful with everything we needed. The room was clean and nice to stay in. A great place to stay and I'm sure we will think about coming back one day!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a friendly place in Santa Teresa close to the surf spot. Blue Surf Sanctuary is just the perfect place ! A super clean, really charming and nice decorated bungalow with a big shower! I loved the space in the shower !
The stuff is really really friendly and knowledgeable about the surf, tide, things to do and place to eat.
What I loved the most was waking up in the morning ~coffee was already ready~, walking to beach for my little yoga warm-up and then hitting the waves to go surfing.
Just loved it. Will be back for sure!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed for two weeks at BSS and adored it! Everyone was so friendly and helpful and it really made my holiday special. Whether it's great surf lessons and trips, recomendations for restaurants, tours, transport ... or simply to just hang out and chat.. Everyone did everything with a smile and really wanted to help. I will definitely be back and thanks to everyone - Crystal, Sarah, Jude, Julia, Chito, Torro, Danny, Domingo and his wife... everyone! The rooms are great, it's right beside the beach, you can cook for yourself in the open kitchen too.. but really it's the people that make it - Thanks to all and hopefully see you again soon!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

A year ago we had our first experience at BSS and I wrote a glowing review. We decided to return this summer, but this time my oldest son and his wife were bringing their 6 month old daughter. Daunting, I know. So my wife and I were in one bungalow, two of our grown sons in another and the new family in a third.

I am happy to report that our week was as wonderful as the last time. The staff is as warm and friendly and helpful as ever. The location is just right. The baby deal worked out fine (interesting how 6 adults tend to fall into the same schedule as a 6 month old).

A few thoughts -

Both years we have been there in June, the "Green Season". It did rain most days and several days we didn't see the sun. My oldest is a serious surfer. A year ago the swell and surf were great the whole week. This year it never really came together. Apparently, this time of year tends to be a bit more hit or miss. Still better than all but the best days at his home in St. Augustine, Florida. The crowds are down, the beaches all but deserted and some of the restaurants are closed or open partial hours. We actually like this better and it is fairly cool in June.

We rented (with BSS's help) two ATV's this year and it was great to have the independent mobility without having to take our rented SUV everywhere. They are easy to operate and a lot of fun. We had them for five days and the cost was $250 each. The ride on the roads is not nearly as bumpy as in the SUV.

For the second year we had dinner one night at Koji (sp?). They specialize in sushi-mi and sushi. Both meals were amazing.

We booked a fishing trip again this year. This is really old-man-and-the-sea stuff, not your big cabin cruiser, deep sea deal. Maybe a 15' open hull with a bimini cover. The guide spoke little English, but with our broken Spanish we communicated just fine. We tried trolling with no luck. Hand-fished for a while and brought in a snapper, but the only thing that was hitting was casting for Jack. We caught maybe twenty of these, but they aren't great to eat so we through them back. A lot of fun though and work to bring those in. So two fishing trips down there and not much to show for it (just one honkin' Rooster Fish last year), but we will go again. It is beautiful out there.

Probably the main attraction for us is the chance to spend a week together as a family in a beautiful, tropical location without a busy agenda, drink fruity rum drinks, play cards, stroll down to the beach and laugh. As I said a year ago, BSS feels like home, just in one of creations more amazing locations.

God-willing, we will be back.

Murphy
Houston, Texas

Room Tip: All four bungalows are great. I don't remember the names, but the one on the far end is over the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
West Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My wife, our 14 year old and I are on our last day at Blue Surf Sanctuary before moving on to a more exclusive property up the road. We weren't able to get a full week at our next property and chose Blue Surf as an alternative for the first 4 days.... glad we did.

Blue Surf has 5 similar bungalows, all very nicely done with patios overlooking the pool and common areas, super clean and well done. The beds are comfortable, A/C is a treat, and staff (Crystal and Julie) is always there to help. We had a king and a single bed in the corner which was a little cramped for us but worked just fine. There is a common area at the entrance with cooking facilities and fridge for guests and a nicely maintained pool that is open 24 hours a day. Like most things in CR, there aren't a lot of rules...... just be nice and enjoy.

Blue Surf is a 5 minute cab ride ($10) to the north from town. The walk is probably 20-25 minutes but the dust at this time of year is quite a problem if you are walking, cycling, quading (most popular form of transport) along the road. The property is a 1-block walk to the beach and to one of our favourite restaurants, RocaMar, located at the entrance to the beach. There are swings, comfortable chairs, a canopy bed and lots of other things in front of RocaMar that are used by everyone in the area.

Blue Surf is great, Playa Santa Teresa is absolutely unique and amazing.

Room Tip: 'Armonia' is probably the best of the 5 bungalows, located furthest from the entrance and di...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We went to visit Blue Surf at the end of August for my 30th birthday. It was the most fun, relaxing, enjoyable trip I've had. I will go back every chance I get. Crystal, Julia, Facu, Domingo, Jude, Sarah, everyone at Blue Surf made our trip unforgettable, from the advice on dinner, calling cabs/restaurants/tour guides, to fresh cut fruit in the morning! Wonderful stay! Would recommend to families, groups of friends, or couples wanting to get away!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Blue Surf Sanctuary? Share your experiences!