“Casa Zen is a wonderful place” 5 of 5 stars

You added Casa Zen Guest House & Yoga Center to your Saves list
Casa Zen Guest House & Yoga Center
Playa Santa Teresa | 50 mts West from Super Costa, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Vermont
“Casa Zen is a wonderful place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

This was my second trip to Mal Pais (Santa Teresa) and I found Casa Zen last time because of the yoga classes on the porch (which occur every morning). When I knew I was coming back this year (2010) I contacted Casa Zen before I booked my flight. I knew I wanted to stay in the "apartment".

For the price this is perfect for 2 people (or a family). It is a large room with kitchen, dining and living/sleeping areas and a large bathroom. Food is always a big expence when I travel, but we had breakfast and lunch from our own kitchen most days and ate out for dinner. We also made smoothies (blender is included) at least once a day. CR beach towns are hot and smoothies with all the fresh CR fruit are key,.

The owner and staff are all great. The place is clean and comfortable. It is off the main road a short walk to the beach. Its perfect and when I come back next year I'll stay here again!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
dc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

We were so excited to stay at Casa Zen based on all the reviews here. However, we were fairly disappointed with our stay. We ran into some travel troubles and attempted to call to touch base the day before to see if someone would be there if we arrived late and no one answered all day. We found out when we arrived that they had closed early the night before.

We did thing it was very cute and had a great breakfast. However, again, Casa Zen closed early (at 2 pm) and there were no reception or food services. We had really hoped to hang out with fellow travelers and enjoy the awesome-looking menu.

So if you want a place that is very clean and attractive and you don't plan to eat and hang out there (besides for breakfast), I recommend. Don't expect anything much from the staff though past noon.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

You can't ask for a better place to stay in this area. The rooms are super clean and they can accommodate any type of group. I went with 3 buddies and they had a perfect room for all of us. This year I will be returning and renting Room 1 with my girlfriend.

The owner and staff are absolutely great. Very helpful and great to chat with.

Definitely take advantage of the toga classes. Classes are on the open air second floor balcony. A great space to relax and unwind. Even better is the movie nights. Sit around on cushions and watch an outdoor movie projected on the wall.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
kenora, ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

I have been coming to Santa Teresa for 10 years and last year was my first staying at Casa Zen.... it has turned into the only place I stay and recommend to other travelers. The location is great as it is extremely close to the beach and in between the surf beaches of Playa Carmen and Playa Santa Teresa. The staff is extremely pleasant and well informed about the area, the beds are quite comfortable (very important) and the bathrooms and showers, while shared, are always clean and well maintained. It also has a great restaurant and plays movies twice a week. Anyone looking for an affordable ($12 a night for 3 person dorm $24 private room with a double bed or two singles) with friendly people and chill vibe should look no further.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Winnipeg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

My sister and I stumbled upon Casa Zen in February of 2005, only a few months after they had first opened. We arrived after a long bus ride, and then a long walk with our backpacks to find a hotel after our first choice was booked up. We were not happy campers and were not feeling it in Santa Teresa. After just a few hours Casa Zen helped turn that around and now I have been there four times.

The staff is friendly, the rooms are spotless, the bathrooms are also spotless which to me is very important, the food is phenomenal, AND all for a great price. I have stayed in all but two or three of the rooms and haven't found a problem with any of them. Casa Zen may not have air conditioning, but for $24/double room it's really not necessary. A fan was all we needed to stay comfortable most nights, and hey, I didn't leave Canada in February so that I could hang out in air conditioned rooms! The main floor rooms are not for you if you like to sleep in, as you will be likely awakened by other travelers and staff. For us that hasn't ever been a real problem, as we aren't the sleep in late type.

All in all, I've returned to Casa Zen on all four trips to Costa Rica for a reason, it's a great place to stay, and for the price you can't beat it!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Banff
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

location is awesome....
if you're there to surf splurge for the upstairs apartment...it'll sleep 4
the bottom apartment was gross and expensive and i didn't feel safe....

if i was going on a surf trip with a few buds id stay here again for sure....

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2009

Stayed at the "Apartment" at Casa Zen for nine nights. While other rooms have shared shower/toilets, the Apt has own hot shower/toilet & kitchen. There is no air conditioning but 2 overhead fans and one standing fan to keep thing cool. Lots of windows and high ceiling as well. bed was a bit small but average for Costa Rican standards. Apt opened up to the yoga deck on the second floor. This was my second time at Casa Zen and I still think Kelly and her team run a great guest house and restaurant. Zen is geared to a number of demographics. Beach/surf rental store(Lost) /latte place (Liberal) and grocery store all within 2 minutes.

Food at Casa Zen was excellent. Ingredients are fresh and there are lots of greens which is great. Don't get previous review, doesn't make sense if you know anything about poorly prepared food. We ate several meals there and loved them all.

Also happened to be there for the 5the year party. Lots of great people and music. There is great techno in Santa Teresa.

Would recommend Casa Zen to any traveller that likes meeting new people.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Zen Guest House & Yoga Center? Share your experiences!