“Nature & Yoga” 4 of 5 stars

Package Deal
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“Nature & Yoga”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Beautiful Guest house 2 mins walk from the ocean. Very nice ambient & there's a deck upstair for yoga class in nature and the class are just perfect.
The place is very clean and the breakfast included (Cafe, tostadas y frutas). Otherwise you can cook in the huge, amazing kitchen.

The only negative for me was that there's no private bathroom, it's shared but they are very clean also.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Central Greece, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I was new to staying in hostels and had a few bad experiences before I found Casa Zen. It is the best hostel I have stayed at. When i first got there the owner really did not seem very friendly but he was okay in the end. The room was clean, comfortable and the location is absolutely ideal! Close to everything and has a really peaceful atmosphere. I rented a bicycle a few times and a surf board from the hostel. Lying in a hammock listening to music after a day on the beach is something i will not forget! I met some great people too. Im feeling nostalgic now! :)

Room Tip: dorms and private rooms were great - stayed in both! Great value for money!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I stayed at Casa Zen for 4 days 3 nights. The place is extreme far from everything so be prepared for the longest commute. It took 7 hours to get there from San Jose. I used the $15 bus service which is at 6am or 2pm. The bus is really comfortable and has ac, it's just a long ride.

I stayed in the dorm room because in the photos on the website they looked really comfy, but they actually were not. This was one of the few hostels where it felt like we were packed on top of each other. The dorms weren't spacious compared to other hostels I've been in (for cheaper might I add).

The breakfast there is a banana, a few other pieces of fruits and 2 pieces of toast with butter and jelly. It's actually a pretty good breakfast but after day 2 you kind of wish there was a switch up but they give the same breakfast every single day.

They let you use the kitchen space and there is a market right across the street from casa zen so that's perfect. Along with there are several restaurants in the area. I do suggest taking out cash if you don't want to go to the bank because it's quite a walk.

I went horse back riding which was great, the tour took me on the beach and through the woods, it was beautiful.

The vibe at casa zen is very laid back. If you're traveling alone this May not be the place you want to stay, for some reason as opposed to many other hostels I've been at this one had the most groups. Most people came in groups and stayed with their group which was fine but not recommended if you're traveling alone.

Tips: bring big spray, a book, music, and cash

This place was okay but was sort of disappointing honestly.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Myself and 3 other gals stayed at Casa Zen for 4 nights during our cross country Costa Rica adventure. We stayed in 2 double rooms that were quiet, comfortable, and exceptionally clean. The shared bathroom and shower facilities were also immaculate and the set-up allowed for plenty of privacy. The property was beautiful and set up in a way that made it seem like it was in the middle of no-where, although only steps from the main road through town where a grocery store was conveniently located, and in the opposite direction the beach! The property's location could not have been more conveniently located. Lodging included breakfast which was a plate including a variety of tropical fruits and toast with jam, butter, and coffee. This was more than an adequate meal and our group often had leftovers to feast on later. As someone who loved to cook and dabble in local flavors I took full advantage of the on-site executive kitchen to prepare my group delicious nightly dinners with fresh produce and fish from the local fisherman's wharf.

The staff was extremely friendly and knowledgeable about the area. They treated you more like family than guests. I left behind an expensive item of clothing and not only did they have the item, but they were quick to arrange a convenient way for me get this item back. The hired night-time security was an added bonus, keeping a close eye on our rental vehicle, surf boards, and our overall safety after dark.

I fully plan to travel to Costa Rica again in the near future and would not think of staying anywhere else during my time in Santa Teresa.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Redondo Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

Imagine 90 minutes in an open air studio with howler monkeys and birds as the soundtrack for your yoga class. That's how it is at Casa Zen's yoga center. They provide 3 yoga classes a day, 7 days a week, and teach a variety of practices like Ashtanga, Bhakti, Anusara and Vinyasa. All of the teachers are fantastic, unique in their approach to yoga and provide gentle adjustments when needed. I've been lucky enough to have taken classes here everyday for about 3 months and I can't recommend it enough. Jen and Julio, the owners/managers, are personable and helpful. Try a class. You'll be hooked!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Sandspit, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

My sister and I stayed here for a week in March, and it was the perfect place to base ourselves for the many things to do and see in Santa Teresa. Jennifer and Julio were very welcoming and knowledgable about the area, and their other staff were also very friendly. They helped us set up a surfing lesson (I have never ingested so much salt water in my life, but it was such an amazingly fun experience none the less), and there are bikes and surfboards to rent as well. There are a daily assortment of yoga classes, and we attended at least one a day. The instructors were all really welcoming to all levels of experience, and in many of the classes there were folks who had never attended a yoga class before and were made to feel very comfortable, with extra explanations if needed. Casa Zen is a short walk from the beach (1minute), and the beaches there are incredible! We spent many afternoons reading under the shade of the trees, and swimming in the warm ocean. Plenty of places to get food and smoothies close by as well. The rooms are cute and clean, and we'll definitely stay there again if we're every lucky enough to visit the area in the future!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Newport Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

my girlfriend stayed there with a friend. she went to the common area before bed. the security gaurd approached her and put his hands on her, touching her, and around her neck. She got away and back to her room. Her and her friend stayed up all night, couldnt sleep and could here someone outside her door. they left the following day after (Julio?) the manager tried to explain that maybe it was an accident. they were reluctant to give a refund. I called casa zen looking for answers and they said it was unclear what was going on and that they are still trying to figure it out. I am waiting for a detailed email from them... DONT STAY HERE! The security is suppose to protect you and not attack you! This isnt something that you shrug away... Thank god she got away. This isn't right

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
giuliostcr, Gerente at Casa Zen Guest House & Yoga Center, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Hello Marcus

Thank you very much for your review, we are sorry for the situation i feel same bad like you or maybe little bit worst, because is in my business this situation happen, i think if you speak with your girlfriend she can explain more that me about what happen. Like i send on the email, please do the report to the OIJ (police), i send to you the phone number from them, i call and research they said, the only person how can make the report is the affect person, I told you, I´m100% available from any information or more help that you need. I give her the money back, fire the man for sure and make a contract with other security company.Like i said before, im so sorry for your girlfriend, feel really bad with this situation and make sure that this kind of situations never never happen again, was my mistake dont push your girlfriend go to the police beacause that really make more sense for use. Sorry againd for that.

Ps. Every day we learn something new, had 10 years working on this never happen to me before.

Kind regards
Julio Concepcion

Been to Casa Zen Guest House & Yoga Center? Share your experiences!