We stayed for a week but unfortunately I was ill for most of the time so really just spent time recuperating. For this purpose the hostel was good as it had a quiet vibe and lots of relaxing space.
As mentioned by others the rooms are basic, we had a double room downstairs with fan. The room was quite spare but nicely painted. Size was quite good, it came with fan, it was quite dark but i did not mind as helped me sleep, the bed was a bit lumpy. Bathrooms are shared but there are lots of them and they were cleaned well daily. There is only cold water.
As they have closed their restaurant there is a communal kitchen inside and another outside although almost everyone uses the inside one as it well equipped. The outside one is useful though as they close the kitchen and reception at 8pm. We never needed anyone at night but it would be interesting if you did.
Breakfast was included, it was toast and fruit with coffee and was very nice.
It is located very close to the beach in the middle of St Teresa so it is a good location in a very spread out town (about 20 mins walk to the bank and main section). The beach is nice but very much a surfing location, swimming is possible but better when the winds are making for large swell.
There are good communal areas with hammocks, plenty of tables and chairs. Wi-fi. There is also a computer with a charge. Good book swap. They also sell water for same price as supermarket.
Staff were mixed. The owner was not there for the majority of our stay, she did arrive on our last couple of nights but did not introduce herself and seemed to leave it to the staff which is fine. The manager Minor was very nice. Rosie was very friendly but Ada tended to be very cold and unhappy (was very nice on our arrival so not sure what happened after that) - she strangely told us one night after dinner we had to move rooms the next day if we stayed (we had told them we would be staying at least 5 nights) but they managed to keep us in the room after much discussion and on another occasion she seemed reluctant to agree to our bedding being changed (after 3 nights) which we felt was strange given they refuse to give any discount for longer stays (in that case they should be willing to change sheets and towels daily).
Overall we thought it was good value for St Teresa but average in comparison to what we have received in other parts of Costa Rica.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Santa Teresa and Mal Pais are rather remote beach towns, and that is what makes them so special! Thankfully, even though we are a little off the beaten path, there are still quite a few services available to visitors. This is a excellent area to relax practicing of Yoga and Surf.On the first floor, we have six private rooms, ideal for single travelers, couples or pairs of friends. The rooms have either a double bed or two single beds. We also have two larger private rooms on the first floor, each with beds for three people. Scroll down for photos and prices for our private rooms. Upstairs you will find the apartment plus three additional rooms with varying capacities, featuring exterior doors as well as interior doors connecting to the apartment. An abundance of shared bathrooms are also located on the first floor (there are many to choose from and they are always clean!).We also have two well-equipped communal kitchens, including our signature chef’s kitchen, complete with a professional quality stove, microwave, blenders, and a giant stainless steel refrigerator. We offer a amazing Yoga deck with every day class. Our helpful, bilingual staff is always ready to help plan other tours and activities in the area, including surf lessons, canopy tours, stand up paddleboarding (SUP), visits to nearby waterfalls, fishing, sailing, snorkeling, horseback riding, ATV rentals and more. We can also assist you with restaurant recommendations, reservations and travel planning, so your trip can be totally relaxing and worry-free! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline and HostelWorld so you can book your Casa Zen Guest House & Yoga Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Zen Hotel Santa Teresa
- Casa Zen Guest House & Yoga Center Costa Rica/Santa Teresa