I've reviewed CZ twice before but given recent changes, here is an update.
Casa Zen remains a standout option among all others in Santa Theresa. Room rates (private or shared) remain very good and the atmosphere is hard to beat. As many other visitors have noted it is generally a very chill space attracting a variety of individual, couple, and group travelers from all over the globe.
The major change to CZ since last year is that the restaurant has closed. The upside of this is that the former restaurant kitchen is now open to use by all visitors from 8am to 8pm, providing a much improved situation for those on a budget who wish to cook for themselves. Another side-effect of this is, the evenings at Casa Zen are even more chilled out than they were before, since there are no groups coming in at night for dinner -- the separate dining room (rancho) is effectively dedicated to guests now as well. For those lamenting the closure of the restaurant, nearby Casa Del Mar (25m away) has expanded its kitchen and restaurant (including a wood fired oven) with a bar to offer a stumbling-distance option for drinks and dinner.
If you're a surfer like me and want access to your breakfast/pre-surf chow, stick it in the old communal kitchen fridge, so you can get at it before dawn-patrol surfs, which are typically the best conditions here. And when you get back from that early morning surf, the complimentary breakfast will be there waiting for you.
CZ remains exceptionally well staffed and tended. The (numerous) shared bathrooms and showers are cleaned daily. Your room will have its linens changed and be swept out occasionally during an extended stay, but if you want it done more frequently, just ask. I found twice per week to be fine.
They continue to offer laundry service, board rental (beginner gear), and bike loan/rental.
Don't forget to sign the guest book!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Santa Teresa and Mal Pais are rather remote beach towns, and that is what makes them so special! Thankfully, even though we are a little off the beaten path, there are still quite a few services available to visitors. This is a excellent area to relax practicing of Yoga and Surf.On the first floor, we have six private rooms, ideal for single travelers, couples or pairs of friends. The rooms have either a double bed or two single beds. We also have two larger private rooms on the first floor, each with beds for three people. Scroll down for photos and prices for our private rooms. Upstairs you will find the apartment plus three additional rooms with varying capacities, featuring exterior doors as well as interior doors connecting to the apartment. An abundance of shared bathrooms are also located on the first floor (there are many to choose from and they are always clean!).We also have two well-equipped communal kitchens, including our signature chef’s kitchen, complete with a professional quality stove, microwave, blenders, and a giant stainless steel refrigerator. We offer a amazing Yoga deck with every day class. Our helpful, bilingual staff is always ready to help plan other tours and activities in the area, including surf lessons, canopy tours, stand up paddleboarding (SUP), visits to nearby waterfalls, fishing, sailing, snorkeling, horseback riding, ATV rentals and more. We can also assist you with restaurant recommendations, reservations and travel planning, so your trip can be totally relaxing and worry-free! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and HostelWorld so you can book your Casa Zen Guest House & Yoga Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Zen Hotel Santa Teresa
- Casa Zen Guest House & Yoga Center Costa Rica/Santa Teresa