“I'd come back but...” 4 of 5 stars

Playa Santa Teresa | 50 mts West from Super Costa, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Islamorada, Florida, United States
“I'd come back but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

Having lived in Costa Rica previously for 11 years, I kinda knew how to "expect the worst, hope for the best". CZ is somewhere in the middle. The service was ok, mostly friendly but losing the personal touch that is so important and that they should not let slip. The property is very nice and well kept but... we were in the apartment, my husband and I, and the cleanliness was a little slipshod; there was no room service but wasn't really expecting it even though all the comparable properties we'd stayed at provided it. Lot's of ants of various species and yes, I know it's the jungle, but this property had by far the most of all the places we stayed in two weeks. There was someone else's food in the fridge - oops - the kitchen sink leaked horribly and there was no way to lock the safe. The ceiling fan over the bed did not work but there was a floor fan that kept us cool. Ask for extra pillows.

We ate at the restaurant a couple of times and were excited to be eating Thai as we consider ourselves Thai officionados - it's one of our favorites. Disappointing. The curry was served over way too much rice which made all the curry sauce disappear and it needed a ton of salt. The pad-thai also not so great. And finally, someone tried to break into our completely empty rental vehicle that was parked in the adjoining hotel owners or managers driveway.

All that said, for what we paid for the room and the location, it was a good deal but I don't know if we'd come back with all the other interesting looking properties in the area.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

86 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

If you are looking for a calm, enjoyable time in Santa Teresa, then stay here!
When I first arrived to Santa Teresa I stayed at another hostel, but one night and I knew I needed to find another place. I was in Santa Teresa at the end of August, which is the beginning of low season in Costa Rica, so there were not many people in town. I walked to a number of different hostels to look at the facilities, but didn't find one that I thought I would like for the few days I would be there, then I remembered that my friends had raved about this hostel in Santa Teresa called Casa Zen, and once I saw it I understood. There are other hostels that are cheaper in town, but the dorm rooms are nice and if you are travelling with 2 people the privates are the same price as staying in a dorm and that is a great deal. I loved the balcony with all the hanging hammocks and spent a lot of time there. It is only a 2 min walk to the beach from the hostel. The owner is great, myself and another guest had some issues on the beach and the owner was very helpful and compassionate. There is also a restaurant downstairs that has great food. In the mornings for an additional charge you can do yoga, and the instructor is amazing! She was so helpful and knowledgeable, probably the best instructor I have worked with. I had a great time here and will return again!

Room Tip: Depending on what bus you take, you may have to walk a bit to get to the hostel, but it is worth it!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

I've lost track of the number of times I have returned to Mal Pais and enjoyed staying at Casa Zen. 8? 9?

This place continues to deliver great atmosphere and value. As I write this I sit in the rancho, which is a separate building adjacent from the hotel built for dining and hanging out. Its low season, and the place is quite tranquil.

The menu has evolved a bit but continues to offer a very well prepared blend of costa rican and thai fare. The food remains excellent and a cut above what you find for similar pricing in the area. Kelly's attentiveness to the preparations and the longevity of the staff are a big part of that.

The open air shared kitchen remains available and the close proximity of well stocked local markets -- in addition to a regular saturday farmer's market held next to the beach 100 meters away -- make it easy to keep costs of an extended stay down, but pick carefully from the markets, as imported goods are heavily marked up, while local produce and goods are cheaper.

The surf, as ever, ranges from good to epic. The locals aren't hostile, and there are plenty of peaks to accommodate people. Tides are crucial here, as they shift from 8 to 10 ft per day. While you can learn to surf here, it isn't really a beginner's break when the waves are firing. And when it goes off seriously, there are reefs and points within a few km north and south to hit if the beachbreaks close out. Evening glass-offs are common even on days when afternoon winds blow it out. Dawn patrol remains the best option if you're hunting for hollow tubes and empty lineups.

Lastly, this is one of the cleaner and well cared for places you'll find in the area at this price point. The grounds are well landscaped and everything is cleaned daily.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011 via mobile

Excellent location next to beach, great food at the restaurant, fun hammocks me and my college buddies hung out on every night and made new friends. Next door to a surf shop where we rented a board one day. Off the main path so not as dusty as most places in Santa Teresa. We had room 7 upstairs for the three of us and it was perfect, especially on our wallets. Make sure you get the fish and chips from the Israeli guy's stand down the road, delicious! I highly recommend Casa Zen!

• Stayed March 2011
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

My friends and I, surfers in our late 20's/early 30's showed up at Casa Zen at about 8PM and were immediately greeted by the most accommodating and friendly host; Tiffany was her name. She took care of us right away and showed us what she had available (we had no reservations) and answered all of our questions. She was careful to let us know about the extra charge for AC which seemed totally reasonable to us because the rates for the Cabina were so affordable anyway. After our first night we moved to the "dorm" style rooms which had a bunk bed, a single bed and a double bed. It was super cheap, and really clean. Just what we needed. The safe in the room was great because it gave us a secure place to stow all our valuables without having to worry. It was really hot, but that's because we deliberately traveled to the tropics to get away from the cold, which seemed fair to us. Staying in the "main house" was way more fun for us. We got to meet/hangout with the amazing staff, and Kelly, the owner. She was super friendly and helpful. All the facilitates were super clean. The place has an awesome atmosphere and is incredibly welcoming. This place is awesome, and the people who work there are even better. The food was super good as well. It's got a Thai theme but you can get really good local dishes also. Overall it's by far the best place I've stayed in Costa Rica. I highly recommend it!
--"NEW YORK"

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011 via mobile

Do not stay here!
Other than the owners' dogs barking pretty much constantly the entire night, this place is great!
It seems contradicting, however, that casa zen prides themselves as offering a serene and peaceful oasis and yet there are dogs Barking incessantly thru the night. The owners must be tucked away in their air conditioned cabin, unaware (or don't care) that their dogs are barking directly outside if the travellers' lodgings.
Bring ear plugs and a maybe some tranquilizers if u intend to get any sleep!

• Stayed April 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

Thank you Casa Zen, what an amazing experience! Casa Zen is perfectly located in the heart of Santa Theresa, a must see city in Costa Rica. But more importantly there is a sense of family for all who travel through Casa Zen. Whether it be for two days, two weeks, or two months you will feel at home at the Casa. I was in amazement to find out the only thing the only thing that the owner of Casa Zen (Kelly) cares about more than the people staying at the Casa is the community of Santa Theresa as a whole, constantly seeking ways to improve it and make it a safe and fun place to be. I can't say enough good things about Casa Zen...the yoga, the food, the family, the love. I was sad to leave and can't wait to return! Thanks again Casa Zen. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!!
With Love- Quinn

Room Tip: make a reservation online
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Been to Casa Zen Guest House & Yoga Center? Share your experiences!