“peace of heaven” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
israel
“peace of heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

the combination between the nature of this place and the nature of the family running horizon, makes it a uniqe warm expirience.
A proffetional servise, beutyfull clean rooms and a warm hospitality.
surely a place to visit again and again and agin.....

• Liked — uniqe feeling different than everythin else
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Hebrew first
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

There's a good spirit here. The view is sweet. Great surfing is just a hike down the hill. The accomodations are very nice, clean and comfortable. We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa, with three balconies and a private pool (the villa view is not as good as the cabins higher up, but we spent time at the teahouse, yoga deck and infinity pool enjoying the view of the Pacific). For four of us, the villa gave of us plenty of space and we used the pool a ton. Nice size kitchen too. Food is delicious, healthy veggie fare. A beautiful family runs the place (and they have great taste in jazz). Popular yoga classes. Mal Pais is a cool area, and the Horizon fits the vibe. I plan to return.

• Liked — The good vibes, but also the view, the pool, the food, the beds, the balconies, and the owners.
  • Disliked — Only that I don't live there full time.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2008

We wrapped up our two-week Costa Rican honeymoon with 6 nights at Horizon. Our cabina was clean and had a great view of the Pacific from its perch on the hillside. The staff was very helpful and friendly and our stay was characterized by quiet relaxation.

We were actually quite happy to find no televisions in the cabins when we arrived. Lounging in the hammock on the deck or poolside was a great way for us to slow down, read a book and catch our breath...pretty much the exact reason we came to Costa Rica.

We did not take advantage of the yoga studio they had above the tea house but it looked like pretty awesome from what we could tell with regular classes just about every day.

As a surfer, Mal Pais was an outstanding stop for us. We had consistent waves all week long with at least head high sets rolling in every morning. However, after 6 nights, we felt that we exhausted all of the activities and were ready to jet at the end of the week.

• Liked — The view and proximity to the beach
  • Disliked — The steps! And the climb up to the cabinas!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

This is a beautiful place, and you definitely don't need to be into yoga to stay here. There were three of us and we stayed in cabins 4 and 5, which were connected by a kitchen, and we were a short distance from the pool and reception area.

Upsides: Great views, very clean and well-appointed rooms, TWO full baths and separate bedrooms and decks in our cabin for three. Could hear howler monkeys in the morning and see lizards in the evening. Excellent massage (must do--I really enjoyed it!) and yoga class (my friend took a morning class and loved it, and this truly is the most beautiful place you could ever do yoga).

Downsides: Santa Teresa was extremely dusty when we visited (April)--the town was literally covered in it. We couldn't avoid it much anywhere outside of our rooms. We couldn't imagine coming any time of the year other than the dry season, though, as we definitely needed our 4-wheel drive to get up the steep road to the hotel, and the road was under construction. We also felt like the locals and tourists--and the hotel owners--were less friendly than we encountered elsewhere on the southern Nicoya Peninsula. We preferred Samara and Montezuma.

A few other minor things: The kitchen connecting the two bedrooms was not air-conditioned and was very hot, and we were surprised that there was absolutely no breeze whatsoever to let in from outside. Don't be fooled by the photos of the "tranquility pool"--it's tiny, and it's too deep at the corner (at least for my 5' 3" height) to hold onto and rest to see the view. I wanted to try the food in the cafe, but it was just too hot, and the place didn't seem to be designed to take in any breezes--all enclosed with windows. We did have terrific food at Pizza Carmen, Flor Blanca, and Buenos Aires--the latter is right above the Horizon and has great views and breezes. Another tiny complaint is that the water in one of the bathrooms was dangerously hot (I know, go figure in Costa Rica?), and no matter what I did I couldn't help scalding myself every time.

Also be forewarned that you need to be in very good physical shape to stay here, as all the rooms are accessed by very steep, uneven stairs. I had a sprained ankle at the time; otherwise it wouldn't have been a problem. But this is definitely not a place for the disabled or elderly.

Overall, it's a gorgeous place and I would stay here again if I wanted to stay in Santa Teresa, but I don't think the area has much appeal if you're not a surfer. The beaches are quite spectacular, though, so maybe a place actually on the beach would be better.

• Liked — Beautiful rooms, great massage and yoga
  • Disliked — Dusty surroundings, small pool, owners a bit cold
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2008

I recently spent 5 nights at Horizon and am definitely glad fate stepped in! I had booked with another hotel but when they had to close for construction I had to find another place to stay. I admit I had looked at the hotel before but thought since the word yoga was in the hotel name I would be surrounded by lots of people only doing yoga - not so! It's simply a lovely little hotel with separate cabins & villas that does offer yoga classes.

The location couldn't have been better - plenty of restaurants to walk to within 5 minutes and the beach is right down a small hill and across the street. I had booked a cabin but upon arriving switched to one of the villas with private pool, it was lovely. Very clean and well laid out, 2 stories with a/c, a kitchenette, dining area, downstairs deck with hammock and bathroom, upstairs was a full bathroom, bedroom with dvd player, safe and another deck with chairs. There are 2 small markets a few minutes walk away, so I stocked up on food and went out for dinners only.

Gali & Yoav are the very nice owners, they can set up any activity you may want to do and have a nice little teahouse with cookies and smoothies available. They also have a dvd lending library if you want to watch a movie. Laundry is a good deal and was done very quickly.

I really enjoyed my stay and definitely will be back!

• Liked — The privacy, the large villa, the pool. close to the beach & restaurants, the price
  • Disliked — The walk up the small hill in the mid-day heat but it's short and I got used to it!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2008

We stayed here for 3 nights and had one of their villas. Lovely place and we had a pool to ourselves! The beds are rather hard (not kooshy like at home) but the place over all was neat and tidy and the owners are very nice. Would stay again if I ever made it all the way back down there.

• Stayed May 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Jasper
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2008

I first found the Horizon in 2006 at the end of my Costa Rican vacation and was wishing I had more time to spend there. I came back in 2007 for a month then just recently again in 2008. It doesn't get much better than this. The views are breathtaking, the accomodation is spotless, comfortable and new. Yoav and his wife Galli have planted a beautiful garden that surround the cabinas. You really feel like you are in heaven here. The yoga studio is the best part though. It looks out to the ocean and is open air. You can feel the breeze of the ocean and the warmth of the sun as you move through the asanas. They have a little teahouse as well that you can have juices or something to eat after and look out to the ocean as well. I can't wait to go back! Thanks Yoav, Galli and Sole for making such a beautiful place.....

• Liked — The yoga deck and teahouse
  • Disliked — It's too far from Canada
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Horizon Ocean View Hotel and Yoga Center? Share your experiences!