“Yep...all the reviews are right!!” 5 of 5 stars

Horizon Ocean View Hotel and Yoga Center
Santa Teresa, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Denver, Colorado
“Yep...all the reviews are right!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

We chose this hotel based on the amazing Trip Advisor reviews--I had never seen a property get ALL 4-5 stars, and was, therefore, admittedly skeptical that there might be a catch...turns out, that the reviews are 100% accurate! This place is amazing!
Pre-trip: I communicated with Yoav (owner with wife, Gali) via email to book a hotel reservation and to arrange transport from the Tambor airport to the hotel. He was fast in responding and easily booked everything. (We took a 45 min taxi ride to the hotel from the airport--the taxi driver was waiting for us--perfect)

Day of arrival: We arrived before our room was available, but enjoyed an awesome lunch on the deck with a great view to the Pacific.

Our room: We rented a 1-bedroom villa. The accommodation was great--2 floors with a small kitchen and half bath downstairs, full bath and sleeping (2 queen beds) upstairs, air conditioning, 2 decks with hammocks and an outdoor shower. We shared a pool with the adjoining villa. The 3 available villas (2 1-bedroom, 1 2-bedroom) are all farther down the hill than the cabins, so not quite as good a view to the Pacific. For us it didn't matter because we spent most of the day out, but if you are one to hang out at the hotel, then you might consider a room up the hill for the view. The room was extremely clean, the beds were comfortable, and the air conditioning good at night.

Food: Is available on site for breakfast and lunch. My husband is a carnivore, so I "forgot" to tell him when I booked the reservation that this place was vegetarian only...shouldn't have worried, since everything we ate there was fresh and delicious! We particularly loved the peanut butter smoothie Yoav whipped up for us every morning...YUM.

Staff: Kudos to Yoav and Gali--they could not have been more gracious hosts. They were able to accommodate anything we requested, which included a long list: reservations for a fishing trip, Ziplining and surfing (including arranging the taxis), recommendations and reservations for restaurants, daily yoga classes....they kept a tab for our entire stay, not requesting a dime until we checked out. We also really enjoyed the gal who served us in the restaurant most days (Meli?)--very pleasant and fun. Though we didnt have much interaction with rest of the staff, they do a great job of keeping the place well manicured and spotless.

Yoga: We are in mourning when we go to yoga here now...we miss the unbelievable view of the studio that looked out into the Pacific! We are beginners and felt completely comfortable in a class of varied levels. Oh...and I would be remiss if I didn't say that my husband also misses the hot instructors (not Yoav--the women!)--somehow it seems unfair to be that attractive and flexible--not sure which view he enjoyed more! : )

Overall: One of the best vacations we have enjoyed...would 100% recommend this place to anyone!
Santa Teresa/Mal Pais in general: extremely charming, friendly, reasonably priced, safe with stunning sunsets and beaches! we cannot wait to return.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Forest, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

...at Horizon Yoga Hotel in the Pacific little beach town of Santa Teresa on the lush Nicoyan peninsula of Costa Rica. I visited Horizon for the first time in 2010, and from the moment of my departure, I knew that someday I would return. Finally in January of 2014 I was able to travel there again, and as before, I received a warm-hearted welcome from each person who helps to make Horizon a very special place. Yoav and Gali have, in a labor of love, created not only a beautiful, inviting space but a also an atmosphere of restorative energy.

The Horizon experience is satisfying in every way:
*The accommodations themselves put you in touch with nature and its harmony. Spaces are soothing, comfortable and extremely clean.
*The food is organic, fresh, expertly-prepared, and oh-so-delicious. You will want to eat slowly and savor every bite.
*Yoga classes in the open-air studio high above the treetops overlooking the ocean offer both transformative practices and stunning views.
*The walk to the beach is a short one--a few yards down the main street of the small town to the tree-lined path that leads you to some of the most enchanting tropical waters you can ever hope to find.
*Yoav and Gali are genuinely helpful to answer any question you have or provide any assistance you need in the most thorough manner in a spirit of sincerity and generosity.

At Horizon one is nourished in body, mind, and spirit. Good energy abounds. A great awareness of vitality and renewal awakens within. Consider yourself fortunate if in your lifetime you are able to have the Horizon experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

we initially came as a couple, now as a family. We have made it an annual pilgrimage and we stay for 3 weeks solid. This place is amazing, you simply live and eat well. Your every need will be looked after.

Room Tip: any of them. you will be lucky to get one.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

we stayed at horizon for 3 nights and had a basic bungalow with no kitchen. the room was small, but very comfy, with a/c and a fan. every terrace has its own hammock plus two chairs and a table. the view is amazing!
the owners were very friendly and helpful. we attended the early morning yoga-class on a sunday, which was gorgeous and a perfect start into a relaxed day on the beach!

we can also recommend the restaurant amici, which had delicious and real italian food!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

My husband and I spent five nights at Horizon hotel as part of our honeymoon and it was wonderful. The location is great, just five minute walk from the beach and pretty much in the middle of the small town. We stayed in the one bedroom cabin, which was just enough space for a couple, but started to feel a little bit cramped towards the end of the five days because there wasn't really anywhere to put our suitcases. The room was very clean and serene. The yoga area is DIVINE, my husband had never done yoga before, but enjoyed it, so don't be afraid even if you are a beginner (as am I).

Room Tip: We were in Room 2, which was right next to the road, so sometimes you could hear cars going by, but...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Weymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

I was hoping for a peaceful vacation and it was everything I hoped for and more. The past two years have been difficult for many reasons. I needed to reconnect and this little piece of heaven was what I needed. Yoav and Gali were so inviting and hospitable. The food was amazing ,yoga classes with a spectacular view everyday !!!!!
Our rooms were clean and we could sit outside and look at beautiful views of the ocean. Every night we could watch amazing sunsets!!!!!
If you are looking for a beautiful,peaceful getaway this is the hotel to go to.
Thank you for vacation to remember . Ron and Florrie Gurnon

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

I found Horizon on Trip Advisor and noticed that there was not one review less than excellent or very good. The reviews were 100% accurate. If I could give them a higher rating than excellent on TA, I would!
I traveled solo and this was an absolutely amazing experience. Yoav and Gali have thought of everything to make this place feel like heaven on earth. I started my days with morning yoga over looking the beautiful pacific ocean. I'd follow yoga with the most delicious and satisfying breakfast in the tearoom. Every day, I said "this can't get any better" but it always exceeded the following day. The love, care, and thought that they put into every guest and detail in the hotel makes the experience.

The rooms are very simply appointed and clean. The balcony has a hammock and bamboo wind chimes for privacy. The room has AC which worked without problem my entire visit. Every day, my room was cleaned. I returned to find fresh coffee for the coffee maker, clean towels always arranged in a different design on my bed, and cleaned floors/bathroom.

The tea room has a collection of books to borrow and movies for a relaxed evening. I spent days reading in the hanging bed by the infinity pool and enjoyed taking showers in the outdoor rain shower outside of my room.

Yoav answered all of my many questions while planning in a friendly and professional way. The taxi that they arranged was waiting for me promptly at the Tambor regional airport. Yoav and Gali along with all of their staff take care of all of your needs in a generous and giving way. You feel at home here.

I left two weeks ago and have been thinking of this experience since. I will go back and stay with Yoav, Gali, and Male again. I can't say enough about this place. It's heaven on earth. It's not just a hotel- this is an experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Been to Horizon Ocean View Hotel and Yoga Center? Share your experiences!