“A Hidden Treasure” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Latitude 10 Beachfront Resort, Santa Teresa

You added Latitude 10 Beachfront Resort, Santa Teresa to your Saves list
Latitude 10 Beachfront Resort, Santa Teresa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 kilometers past Santa Teresa, left hand side, Santa Teresa 1000, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Stay Four - Pay Three
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Sellersville, Pennsylvania
“A Hidden Treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

I visited Latitude 10 to write some text for the website - but wow, what an amazing property. I did not have a typical guest experience but I feel compelled to write a review because it was such an incredible hidden gem.

We pulled up to the wooden gate and then I was taken to my bungalow. There are no windows, locks, a/c or anything. It was incredible calming and peaceful. I really felt like I was in Costa Rica and having a special experience. I spent a lot of time in the clubhouse, which all 5 bungalows are privately circled around. The view of the ocean is gorgeous and the sunsets in the evenings were lovely. The pool is chemical free and you could sit in it all day watching the waves if you desired.

The best part of this property was the utter seclusion. It would be fantastic spot for a honeymoon or romantic retreat. Kids would also enjoy exploring the area and I felt safe. The breakfasts in the morning were delicious and I enjoy cooking so I walked into town and bought groceries. You could arrange a private chef (particularly in the high season) which sounds appealing. If you enjoy cooking, the kitchen is gorgeous and looks out over the sea. Definitely a high point of my stay.

Check out the photos on the website to start to understand what this hotel is all about. It is one of the most interesting places I have ever visited!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

We stayed here for 4 nights in the master suite which was enormous and included a huge outdoor bathroom, two lounging areas, a lovely veranda and a very big, very comfortable bed high up off the ground. The outdoor bathroom gets much higher marks than most for having complete privacy, luxurious touches (think full sized vanity with wall sconces and huge double shower under the stars) There was also a small fridge stocked with beer and water which was a nice touch. The structures themselves are completely open air in the Balinese style. The staff comes around at night and closes the blinds and lights the candles. Very, very romantic. You are 50 feet from the ocean which was roaring the entire time we were there. The noise does take a little getting used to when the Pacific is raging, which it was! I saw a few of the other rooms and thought they might be a bit small. We definitely loved the suite.

The main lounge area has a dining room and restaurant that feels very much like someone's very comfortable home. We loved the food and were moved to tears (in a good way) by a couple of the dishes Sebastian turned out. Service is casual but attentive - perfectly matched to the setting.

This place has since been acquired by the bigger more corporate Flor Blanca next door. I hope it has retained the more relaxed air that it had when we stayed there.

It's such a lovely and unusual place.

I left wishing that I could live there.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
vb
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

Florblanca Reserva, formerly Latitude 10, is an amazing resort/property. the landscaping is imaculate and the bungalows are amazing. the maids came twice a day only when we were gone and did a fantastic job. The views from our room were amazing as well. Very relaxing and laid back. However a few things i did not like was the fact that you have to tell them wether you will be eating dinner there or not everyday at lunch and you also had to decide what you wanted. Maybe just me but i don't like having to plan my meals in advance when i am on vacation. The food was marginal, definately nothing to brag about. We had dinner at the hotel twice during our stay and neither time was i very impressed. We reserved our bungalow before the place was bought by florblanca so our rate was much cheaper than the advertised rate now. There is absolutely no way I would pay the new rate to stay here, it's just not worth that much. Overall a great place to go and stay but there are much cheaper places in the area that are very very nice.

• Liked — location and view
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

We booked our stay at Latitude 10, and it merged with Florblanca soon after. They honored the rates, but the meal prices increased. This review is based on the rate we paid, but i will slip in the odd note about my thoughts on the new "Florblanca Reserva".

Location:
The location was nice and very secluded. The drive to the resort was approx. 45 minutes, half on dusty dirt roads that are standard in Santa Teresa. The town of Santa Teresa was nearly non-existent. Mal Pais had a few offerings with different restaurants and hippie hang outs/hostel type places. A surfer town to say the least. Town is better reached by taxi.

The food was good, but the portions were very small for breakfast. French toast came as two pieces with no fruit or side. Same goes for most of the other options. The breakfast menu didn't change while we where there. Lunch was decent. Dinner was great when Sebastian prepared the meal. Otherwise it was good, but just not near Sebastian's quality. Meal prices were a little on the high side. I'd say they're slightly more expensive than what we're used to paying at better than average places in Toronto. We often ate at Florblanca for lunch as the food was cheaper and better IMHO. Alcohol..... well, this was a sore spot. Alcohol was a good 20% cheaper at Florblanca. This irritated us. We felt as though we were being taken advantage of because we were at a more 'exclusive/expensive' resort. They are owned by the same company, and encourage guests to use the facilities at Florblanca. This would irritate near anyone.

We ate down the road at Chile Viola (sp?). This place was great with good portions, and good prices. Service was fantastic. Dress light as it gets a little warm up there. It is within walking distance (to the left as you leave the resort, next big place on the right about 10 minutes). Bring a flashlight.

Beaches
In front of the resort, the beach was nice but swimming was out of the question - too rocky. Walk 5 minutes to the right, or 10 to the left. The beach to the right was far more isolated. WEAR STRONG SUNSCREEN! (I speak from lobster color skin experience). The staff will advise of tides and times to go swimming.

Room
We loved it! Amazing. It was a junior suite, but it's all we needed. Great bed. Very well decorated. Clean. Open bathrooms... takes getting used to, but I miss it now. The glassless windows where great. Shades can be drawn for privacy.

Wildlife
We were fortunate enough to have an abundance of wildlife visit us on a daily/nightly basis. Howler monkeys would come see us very often and 'park' themselves just above our bathroom. We also saw an anteater, and a kinkajoo. Crabs are everywhere (not in the room thought)!!!

The NEW Florblanca Reserva:
Now a few notes on the new rates. One phrase should sum it up..... NOT WORTH IT!! I feel that the rate that we paid (approx. $225/night for the junior suite) was fair for low season. I would go back in a second at this rate. The hotel is not anywhere near ready to sell themselves as an uber-exclusive resort. The room we stayed in goes for $450-900 a night now (would have been $650 at the time we stayed). That I find ridiculous. To charge around $650/night not including meals, this place has a long way to go. They would need a full time chef with the skill of Sebastian, a much more white glove level of service (not that I want this type of thing), and um.... uniforms would help. Denim and tank tops at $650 per night for the cheap room doesn't cut it. They are trying to cater themselves to the elite clientele, but they have a seriously long way to go.

Overall, we were quite happy with our stay, but I will never recommend this resort to anyone at these rates. We have stayed in boutique resorts around the world far nicer than this for cheaper than the rate we even paid. Florblanca Reserva - put out or get out.

• Liked — Having the place to ourselves, location, ROOMS!!, beaches
  • Disliked — Feeling jipped on booze prices, lack of substance/variety at breakfast
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Latitude10, Manager at Latitude 10 Beachfront Resort, Santa Teresa, responded to this review, July 29, 2009
Thank you for your review of Latitude 10. We would like to inform you that as of October 1st, 2009, Latitude 10 will have fully reestablished its independence from Flor Blanca. Latitude 10 will be managed again (as it was prior to February 2008) by Cayuga Sustainable Hospitality, the management company of other upscale sustainable boutique hotels in Costa Rica such as Arenas Del Mar Beach & Nature Resirt, Lapa Rios Ecolodge and Harmony Hotel. We invite you to rediscover the new concept of Latitude 10 that is focused on a truly unique and sustainable lodging experience with a very personal touch. Hope to have you back soon.
cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2008

we stayed for 7 nights on our honeymoon. latitude 10 is intimate and secluded, with a relaxed atmosphere. as the place accommodates 10 people maximum there is almost a feeling that at times we had our own private resort.. we stayed 2 nights in the master suite which is a sumptuouos airy villa facing the ocean and with an air of colonial grandeur. we loved the enormous outdoor shower and verada to drink our evening beers on. the junior suite was smaller but no less charming. the only thing we could have done with was a fridge. the hotel leads directly to the beach which is deserted 95% of the time, save for the odd beach comber/jogger/snorkeller ambling past. all the rooms have no locks or windows and we felt very safe. the lack of windows means there is no air con. we felt the need to ask for an extra fan because the temperature doesn't fall below 25 degrees which was a bit much at night. the food is cooked by sebastian the chef and was fantastic. the staff were very accommodating and helped us out with renting surf boards/car etc. highly recommended for chilled out holiday but with bit of luxury too.

Stayed April 2008
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2008

Latitude 10 was everything I expected. Personal service, unique accomodations, and a beautiful and remote setting.

I was somewhat worried when I learned a week before my arrival that Latitude 10 had been purchased by the owners of nearby Florblanca. I became even more concerned when I saw that the new room rates were substantially higher than those I booked and the meal plan had been eliminated. I had read issues about rates and prices at Florblanca suddenly being charged at higher rates than previously represented.

My concerns were unfounded. My previously booked rate was honored. The meal plan no longer existed, but the prices for meals were not at all out of line for the quality of meals prepared.

I am not at all sure how best to describe this resort. It is personal and intimate. An ideal place for honeymooners, or couples just looking for a place to get away from the everyday hustle and bustle of the city.

The layout of the resort is well designed. The center of the resort is the clubhouse/dining room. The pool is immediately in front of this meeting/dining area. On each side of the clubhouse are the master suites, both considered ocean front. The three junior suites are actually behind the clubhouse to the left, right and center. All the suites are separate standing structures hidden amongst the landscaping.

For those worried about privacy, each suite can only be reached through its own pathway. There is no reason to go down the pathway (at least for the master suites) unless you are going to that particular suite. Although the roofs and parts of the side of the stuctures can be seen from the clubhouse, they are each just far enough away and surrounded by the jungle to be quiet and secluded.

Although I said above the resort is an ideal place for honeymooners and couples, it was also perfect for my family of five, with an 8 year old, 14 year old and 16 year old. In fact, during part of our stay, all but one of the bungalow/suites were occupied by families with kids of all ages. And all of the kids loved it! It was amazing how much fun the kids could have when there was no tv, internet or cell phone available.

But you honeymooner's and couples don't worry. First, it was Easter break. My guess is there are very few other times of the year when families will be traveling to a place like Latititude 10. Second, the suites are secluded enough that I doubt the kids were an issue for the couples that were there during our stay, except perhaps around the pool, And finally, I was told that one of the new policies being implemented by Florblanca, is that no more children under age 12 will be allowed.

While I would take my kids there again in a second, I must say that when we walked into our Master Suite, I said to my wife, this would be alot more fun if it were the two of us. The suite was beautiful, with dark woods, romantic lighting and candles, and an open air design that is difficult to describe. The attention to detail was evident at every turn. And the ventilation could not have been better. In the heat of dry season, the breeze at night (along with the whisper quiet ceiling fan) kept the room extremely cool and comfortable.

The outdoor bathrooms were also stunning. Nothing quite like taking a shower outdoors! My son especially enjoyed seeing a monkey in a tree above him while he was taking a shower!

Others have raved about the food and staff, and those raves were well deserved. We enjoyed all of our meals (and drinks!)and thoroughly enjoyed the personal attention we received from all the staff. They knew just the right amount of attention to give and were always there if needed.

If we had a special request, the request was met, whether asking Sebastian to make something special for the kids, or having any one of the staff giving input on the next days activities. The new ownership would be well served if they make as few changes a possible to the stafff and how they serve their guests.

I always try to think of what things could be improved. With Latitude 10, that list is small. My wife pointed out there were no robes, kleenex, or blow driers in the room. Her point was for that kind of money, they should provide those type of amenties. Probably a valid point. The only negative comment we could come up with on the meals was that soups were not Sebastion's strength. They were good, but they were not spectacular like everything else he prepared.

One thing guests should be aware of is that some of the representations on the new website have not yet come to fruition. There is no wireless internet service in the rooms yet and if each room has a four wheeler, that was news to us. My guess is those are amenities planned for the future that have not yet been added.

We had a wonderful stay at Latitude 10 and will recommend it to our friends as a place to go with or without kids. We are hopeful that on spring/easter break weeks and Christmas, the resort will consider relaxing its kids policy and allow children under 12 during those time periods because I would hate to have to wait 3 or 4 years to return with my family.

Regardless, we plan on returning. Latitude 10 is a special place and provides a unique environment that should not be missed

• Liked — Beauty and Uniqueness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

This is an amazing get away...very private, just 6 rooms scattered around the property, big common area for food and hanging out....amazing staff and chef (Sebastian) who has a different menu for you every day.

The rooms are all open air with fans (there's only one with A/C, and it's small and in the main building.) We were always fine at night, cool enough and no mosquitos as this is a very dry area....

There are of course, the usual beach and Costa Rica critters all around...monkeys, birds, crabs all over the beach, funny little jungle squirrels....all wonderful and beautiful.

Surfing is the main attraction in this area, and the hotel is on the beach but the best surfing is about 10 minutes down the beach...in front of the hotel are great tide pools in rocks...great for wading...but not surfing.

The hotel is now associated with Flora Blanca next door, which just gives you another pool, but keeps the Latitude 10 area separate and special. The yoga at Flora Blanca is also great -- 2 times a day and also private sessions.

This is a great place to "get away from it all" -- or for a larger family party...where you want to stay together but have space...we had 10 people travelling...adults and 4 teen boys who were surfers and it worked out great!

• Liked — Amazing Surf location
  • Disliked — \the DUST on the roads-- but that's everywhere in St. Theresa
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Latitude 10 Beachfront Resort, Santa Teresa? Share your experiences!