This was our second hotel in a 10 day trip for our honeymoon. After spending 8 hours on the road (and ferry) to get there from Tenorio, Latitude 10 was a welcome site! The staff were not expecting us to be so late and did not have any dinner available for us. Nino quickly apologized and ordered us pizza delivery - quite funny! The room was prepared with candles and flower petals - they did this all 5 nights of our stay. The staff were all wonderful - the manager Jose spent alot of time with us and even came up to fix a flat tire on one of the hotel bicycles (those might need a little more maintenance - they were in pretty rough shape). The chefs, Anthony and Yvette were great and can really cook! All of the staff were friendly and although they spoke English very well, challenged us to practice our Spanish :-).
Santa Teresa in the off season is quiet and about 50% of the stores/restaurants are closed. However, there are still several open and the people were all very nice. I think they were amused by our broken Spanish!
The beaches are beautiful and we had them nearly all to ourselves. We spent hours beachcombing and walking, looking at shells, rocks and the beautifully colored puffer fish that swim in the tide pools. As other reviewers have noted, there is quite a bit of trash that washes up each day with the high tide - very sad. The resorts do clean up their beaches every day, but it is still a reminder to all of us to be responsible with our recycling and trash.
We rented an ATV and spent the day running around Montezuma. FYI, in the rainy season the Montezuma waterfalls are very difficult to get to. The river is too high and fast to wade through and the "trail" is a one step from certain death straight down (about 8-9 stories)! We went as far as we could and got pictures through the trees, but with no safety line it was not possible to descend to the base of the falls.
We booked the horseback riding tour and it was phenomenal. Our guides Casey,an ex-pat from California, and Roberto, the cowboy were wonderful and happy to share their love of the land. I love to ride, my husband not so much. We both had a great time riding through the forest, farmland and on the beach, although he required a dose of ibuprofen when we got back!
The one thing that I would remark on are the rooms. Although beautiful, some are quite close to the road - in the off season this was not a problem since the traffic volume was low, but in the high season I can imagine it would be noisy. As previously noted, the rooms are completely open to the outside which was never an issue except when trying to get clothing to dry - it just won't! The rooms are quite humid in the rainy season and even with fans it is a bit difficult to sleep. Also, bring a flashlight. There are several corners of the room that are not well lit and it is hard to see in your suitcase, etc.
FYI this place is definitely for couples and not children. We had a great time and hope to get back to visit Latitude 10 again on our next trip!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Latitude 10 Resort was built as a private resort and is now available to the public. The resort consists of five spacious free standing, individually decorated and private casitas. Each casita has its own tropical decor, situated on over seven acres of private beachfront property located near the bustling beach town of Santa Teresa on the Southern tip of the Nicoya Peninsula in Costa Rica. Staying at Latitude 10 is like staying with good friends at their luxury beach house. You will experience personalized service and attention to detail in a relaxed, yet classy atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia and Jetsetter so you can book your Latitude 10 Beachfront Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Latitude 10 Beachfront Resort, Santa Teresa Hotel Santa Teresa
- Latitude 10 Beachfront Resort Costa Rica/Santa Teresa