“Did not honor our family New Year's reservation” 1 of 5 stars

Esencia Hotel & Villas
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Santa Teresa, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #24 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
TX
“Did not honor our family New Year's reservation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Having family scattered around the U.S., we decided to book 7 rooms for the post-Christmas to New Year's holiday for a family reunion. We filled out the necessary paperwork, secured the rooms with credit card "deposits." Then, at the last moment, we got an email from the manager saying the management decided to cancel ALL our room reservations and was blocking the whole hotel during the Christmas holiday. In other words, tough luck to you guys, I've got a better offer. I was upset & stunned, as the Christmas holidays are a big deal in Costa Rica, and reservations are hard to come by. In other words, I wouldn't book anything at this hotel. They do not honor their commitments, and if something better comes along, they grab it, and you're left out in the cold.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
San Jose
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I booked this hotel through their online reservation service 2 weeks prior to the date I was intended to arrive.

I did not get an email confirmation, so I called the hotel to confirm. They told me that they were having problems with the system and that I should call again the next day.

Then when I called again the next day, they told me that the reservation system had been moved to Italy and that due to the time zone difference they wouldn't be able to solve it until the next day.

I called again...and again, everyday for a full week. I spoke to this guy Irwing and a girl Dania several times. Without any confirmation or solution. I told them repetedly that I wanted my room confirmed but they told me that I shouldn't worry because there was plenty of space and that the confirmation would come.

And 5 days before my arrival I get an email from a guy named Stefano telling me that they were really sorry but due to issues with the webpage they had double booked and were now without availability for the dates I had booked.

Honestly I have never been treated so terribly in any hotel in the world, and I sure wasn't expecting this from one in my own country. I do not want to believe that this is the way they treat local tourists but looking at the other reviews I think that the awful service is truly their signature for all customers.

I am NEVER staying in this hotel ever nor will I recommended to anyone I know. If this is the service they give me with a reservation, I do not want to find out how they'll treat me while staying there.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
San Jose, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

It is a nice place poorly managed, we did not have a good stay thanks to their lack of customer service. First thing that went wrong is we didnt get what we paid for, we paid for a Villa and we got a Room way in the back of the property on a hill and then on a second floor, I took the time to complain about it but the reception was already closed, the guard who was very nice Luis took his cell phone and called the manager (he was never around), he said he was sorry but E made a mistake ... weird ... then he said he would give me $17 dollars back, which I didnt really wanted, I wanted the room I reserved, then as a super customer service approach he offered a free breakfast, they served a poor Cornflakes cereal and toasts. I told him that every time I book thru hotels.com they are very careful to accommodate me in a place children safe, he's answer was that he had to be nice to other clients and close the gate so that I wouldnt make noice with my car and wake people up ... didnt really understood his answer ... I was not only complaining about how far away the room was I was also complaining about the dangerous stairs and balcony. After dinner I had to wake up my son and make him walk sleepy about half a mile from the parking lot to the room, I think guests would have prefered my car than my crying son, up many stairs and trail to get to the room, I dont find that good customer care. Staff other than Irving the manager (who is terrible) was ok, Luis the guard was super awesome. I would never visit this place again unless they change management and improve their customer care. Facilities are nice but not extraordinary, the location is perfect, you are only 1 block away from possibly the best beach in Costa Rica. Careful with the ocean! hope you find my experience helpful. Regards,

Room Tip: Ask for a Villa and make sure you get what you pay for.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
StefanoEsencia, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Esencia Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Daniel,
we have nothing to say except we are very sorry about that, you are absolutely right in everything you wrote.
You reserved a villa and we made a mistake, so when we figured out it was too late the only thing we could do was to accommodate you in the only type of room still available (a Pool View room) with the same number of beds that you requested; moreover we offered you our breakfast: orange juice and coffee, yogurt, corn flakes, toast bread with butter and jam.
Obviously we also refunded you the money for the difference you paid to hotels.com!
Due to the fact that reception closed at 8 pm as reported, during your 1 night-stay you couldn’t speak immediately to the manager who lives in the hotel (villa #1), but as you have seen there is the parking area next to reception and it's not possible to drive beyond that point to park next to rooms (except for check-in and check-out). We do this to keep it as quietest as possible, sorry if it caused you some problems but we think it is much more safe for kids to have a no-car landscape instead a busy road to pay attention.
We gave you a second floor room considering that more quietest than a ground floor, maybe we didn’t realized it could have be a problem for you.
Meaford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

The manager and staff at Esencia are top notch!
He arranged an atv to our door also a taxi to ferry then another taxi to main airport when we couldnt get a flight.
Everyone spoke english very well and was always pleasant.
Lots of beautiful birds and squirrells and the pool was clean and refreshing.
Outdoor showers everywhere so you can leave the sand outside.
Whatever and whenever they will arrange!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

01/29/2014: I just came back from staying 3 nights at Esencia, stayed at a 2 bedrooms Villa and I had a great time. The Villa is super comfortable, each room have their own a/c, one room had a queen bed and the other two single beds, both rooms were big and had a nice size closet, the kitchen was small but had everything you need, we had clean sheets and towels. The pool area is beautiful and the hotel is just a few meters away from the Beach and restaurants. The Staff were super nice. I'm really looking forward to go back and will recommend it to all my friends. Thank you Esencia ;o)

Stayed January 2014
Province of San Jose, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

No breakfast included or even available during yearend, no tv in the room, poor water pressure in showers, coffee maker didn't work properly; overall, average customer service... Other than that, it seems you're paying for a great location!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
StefanoEsencia, Guest Relations Manager at Esencia Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear guest,
breakfast is not included in the room rate as reported to you before you made the reservation.
It is always possible to order it at the reception and you receive a continental breakfast (toasted bread or fruit salad, coffe with milk, orange juice, yogurt or cornflakes) daily served at your room terrace between 8 and 10 am.
It only costs 6$ per day and you have this menu on the desk of your room.

We don't have TV inside the rooms, there is just one at the rancho bar next to the pool for common use of our guests.

We'd be glad to change your coffee maker for a good one, if reported by you.

Regards,
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in a great area. Security at the front, nicely landscaped on the side of a mountain. Our room was quite dark, very basic, old bedding, no frills, old towels with stains and the bed it's self was something similar to a gym mattess. Our toilet barely flushed, and our room smelt like urine the entire time and we also lost running water for almost a day. The staff and manager were entirely unsympathetic and refused to take responsibility, coming across very arrogant and cheeky.

Also my hair turned bright green from the chlorine in the pool. We haven't seen this happen since the 90's. Beware blondes!!!!

For what we paid we expected allot more. It is a glorified back packers at best and the price should be regulated in peak season.

All in all very disappointed and would not recommend to anyone who wants to enjoy their holiday.

• Stayed December 2013
StefanoEsencia, Public Relations Manager at Esencia Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear guest,
we are sorry about the problems you had at the hotel.
I'd like to explain that all the matress have been changed 3 months ago with othopedic/analergic type; yes we know that some guest can find it too soft or too hard, depending how each person used to sleeping.

Also towel are new but maybe during your 4 nights you received old towel if you found it so horrible.

I don't know how it is possible that your room smelt like urine but I trust you, maybe you'd better ask to reception or haousekeeping to check what was going on: we'll be happy to clean it again.

The swimming pool is like all the swimming pools in the area, we use products coming from US.

That day the electricity company suspended the service in all the town for some problems in the area while they were fixing the cables, it was from 12 am to 4 pm;
The water pump only works with eletricity, I am really sorry but it could happens in Costa Rica.

Regards,

Been to Esencia Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!