“This place rocks!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Florida
“This place rocks!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

The place is fantastic, great ocean views, very close distance to the beach and the rooms are comfortable, very clean and affortable, the staff is super friendly and they help all the time and the owners are the best, the last night I was there they make a huge bbq Argentinian style and the invite all the guest to join them. The best BBQ I had in my life.
Amazing place to spend your holidays.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Leucadia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

I've stayed at the Funky Monkey 4 times now. It is a great place to come back to and you always meet great new friends - a great place to come to solo or with friends. The beach is a short walk away and it's nice to be up on the hill away from the busy and sometimes dusty main road. The property is gated and there is a guard at night so you always feel very safe. The bungalows are great with an open air feeling and your own little patio and hammock, and the outdoor (but private!) bathroom attached to each bungalow is awesome! I love the pool for relaxing after a morning of surfing. It's surrounded by beautiful trees and plants which of course drop some leaves into the pool sometimes. So what! They can't have someone sitting up there with a net cleaning the pool constantly all day long. Sometimes I would just net the pool myself, it's kind of relaxing. This is definitely a place for a relaxed traveler who enjoys surfing and making new friends. If you're the picky Four Seasons type, this is not the place for you. This is Costa Rica to me! And Rafa is an awesome cook, I just wish he was there more often.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2010 via mobile

Booked 4 days here ended up only staying 2...the owner Gabie was incredibly rude to us when we first changed our dates... This was due to a serious family illness but instead of talking to us she g
scolded us and gave us the "talk to the hand!" we couldn't believe this attitude. One of us got electrocuted in the shower and when we went to inform them of this hazzard no one was around. If you intend to stay a week spend a lot of money I'm sure you will be treated very well but we ended up staying down the Road for much cheaper and more fun and the owners were fantastic. Go to don jobs!!

• Stayed January 2010
Vancouver BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

I loved this place and can't wait until I can go back. Everyone there was great and made me feel like I was at home there. The owners, Gabi and Emilio were very helpful and really made my stay memorable. The food in the restaurant was delicious. The hotel is set off a little from the street which makes it feel a little more secluded. Sure, its a 2 minute walk to the beach but being away from the road is a big plus!! The rooms are clean and I thought the outdoor showers were fantastic! There is also a great pool to sit by if you're not into fighting the waves on the beach. Overall, an awesome place to stay while visiting St Teresa.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Santa Teresa, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

My husband and I stayed in the 8 bed dorm cabina for $12 each per night. After staying at Cuesta Arriba for a few nights, we wanted more space to chill out (Cuesta doesn't have a good chill area) and heard that Monkey had a pool so we moved over here.

The dorm cabina has a great layout - lots of shelves for stuff, a mini fridge in the room, hammock on a deck - all built of beautiful wood. Yes, the dorm cabinas are perched in the jungle, which creates a real natural atmosphere with sounds of insects and monkeys, and yes, there are neighboring roosters that crow at dawn - all part of an authentic experience (that is what we are here for, isn't it?). Each dorm has a lovely connecting outside bath and shower. No hot water, but come on, who needs it when it is baking hot outside? The baths are large enough to move around in.

The pool is set up the hill about a minute walk. It was very clean when I was there, sure some leaves fell from the trees above, but the treat of having a pool at a hostel - I felt like I was lounging at a nice resort.

In fact, I found the property extremely clean.

I agree that the Argentine owner is grumpy. Hopefully he will hear about these reviews and either be an absent owner or start smiling a bit. The employees were pretty friendly, but it is true that sometimes you couldn't tell who was working.

The wi-fi worked pretty consistently, which means a lot in this part of CR. There is also a comfy chill out area, lots of chairs and pillows, with books and mags.

After a few days at Monkey we wanted a private room so we moved on. The private room was $45, which I think is much to high.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

Recently returned from a week at the Funky Monkey. Santa Teresa is a great little town. Very laid back feeling, beautiful beaches, and friendly people. I can't say much about the Funky Monkey though. I am sure there are MUCH nicer places to stay.

Good location...it is a 5 minute walk to the beach. They told me it was 2 minutes, but that isn't true unless you are running, very fast!

The negatives:
The pool was not clean - every time we went swimming we had to first use the pool cleaning net to remove dead bugs and leaves. Nothing says relaxing like having to clean a pool before swimming in it.

The bar/restaurant at Funky Monkey was overpriced. The food was good, but the main cook left mid-week and the quality of food went downhill. Also, it is on a tab basis and they tried to sneak in a couple things on our bill. When they told me the price I told them that it must be wrong, so I asked to see the tab, and they added in all kinds of extra drinks and meals. Be cautious.

Only one set of towels. We had to use the one towel for the entire week for showering, going to the pool and beach. Ridiculous.

Noise at night/morning. It was very hard to sleep. We slept horribly the entire time we were at the hotel. The Funky Monkey is located next to some interesting properties that have dogs, lots of roosters. I thought I was sleeping on a farm. And if the dogs and roosters aren't enough, you get to listen to the ATV's which are going at all hours of the night. If you decide to stay here, I suggest bringing ear plugs.

Bugs and unhelpful staff. One morning when we woke up there were bugs all over the floor of the room, as if an ant colony moved in while we were sleeping. I asked the staff if they could help. They weren't much help, they handed me a can of bug spray and asked that I bring it back to them when I'm done with it.

The employees running the reception area were interesting. Some of them were helpful, but others were not approachable. If you asked a question you were 'bothering' them. The problem is they aren't paid, if they agree to stay on for 2 months and work 4 hours a day, they stay for free. The majority of them sat in front of the TV all day, or played pool, so you could never tell if they were working or vacationing.

If you go to Santa Teresa I highly recommend the following:
-Eat at Rancho Burger - great affordable food.
-Rent an ATV for the day, go to the Waterfalls in Montezuma, they are incredible.
-Do the zip line tour, it was awesome.
-Drink Imperial (Costa Rican beer), I hope to find it somewhere back home.

Overall, I would definitely go back to Santa Teresa, but I would NOT go back to Funky Monkey.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
prague
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

After reading some reviews on this web site I have to say. Where have you people stay? Are we talking about the same funky monkey lodge in Santa Teresa???? I spend there a week with my wife and we've had the most amazing time in our lives. We haven't got any problem with the owners. The opposite is true. Gabi and Emilio are awesome and very hostile people. They help us with every question we come across. The food in restaurant was delicious and Rafa is a top chef. The beach is only a few meters from the hotel. If I can recommend this place don't hesitate and go for it as I said it is the best place to go and have fun. Nice people, excellent service, lovely place and of course no problem with towels or hot water.

Topnotch holiday ;-)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Funky Monkey Lodge? Share your experiences!