My husband and I stayed in the 8 bed dorm cabina for $12 each per night. After staying at Cuesta Arriba for a few nights, we wanted more space to chill out (Cuesta doesn't have a good chill area) and heard that Monkey had a pool so we moved over here.
The dorm cabina has a great layout - lots of shelves for stuff, a mini fridge in the room, hammock on a deck - all built of beautiful wood. Yes, the dorm cabinas are perched in the jungle, which creates a real natural atmosphere with sounds of insects and monkeys, and yes, there are neighboring roosters that crow at dawn - all part of an authentic experience (that is what we are here for, isn't it?). Each dorm has a lovely connecting outside bath and shower. No hot water, but come on, who needs it when it is baking hot outside? The baths are large enough to move around in.
The pool is set up the hill about a minute walk. It was very clean when I was there, sure some leaves fell from the trees above, but the treat of having a pool at a hostel - I felt like I was lounging at a nice resort.
In fact, I found the property extremely clean.
I agree that the Argentine owner is grumpy. Hopefully he will hear about these reviews and either be an absent owner or start smiling a bit. The employees were pretty friendly, but it is true that sometimes you couldn't tell who was working.
The wi-fi worked pretty consistently, which means a lot in this part of CR. There is also a comfy chill out area, lots of chairs and pillows, with books and mags.
After a few days at Monkey we wanted a private room so we moved on. The private room was $45, which I think is much to high.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beach lodge on a natural hill in the middle of a private jungle, away from the main street but only 200m walking from the main surfer beach, famous for its white sand and perfect waves. Great place for solo travelers, couples, families or groups. Clean and comfortable rooms with daily maid, free wireless, free and secure parking, safe place with restaurant and swimming pool. Great getaway! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com and HostelBookers so you can book your Funky Monkey Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Funky Monkey Hotel Santa Teresa
- Funky Monkey Santa Teresa
- Funky Monkey Lodge Costa Rica/Santa Teresa