“sweet layout” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Funky Monkey Lodge

and 1 more site!
You added Funky Monkey Lodge to your Saves list
Funky Monkey Lodge
center of Santa Teresa | 200m From Public School, Santa Teresa 60111, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Santa Teresa, Costa Rica
“sweet layout”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

My husband and I stayed in the 8 bed dorm cabina for $12 each per night. After staying at Cuesta Arriba for a few nights, we wanted more space to chill out (Cuesta doesn't have a good chill area) and heard that Monkey had a pool so we moved over here.

The dorm cabina has a great layout - lots of shelves for stuff, a mini fridge in the room, hammock on a deck - all built of beautiful wood. Yes, the dorm cabinas are perched in the jungle, which creates a real natural atmosphere with sounds of insects and monkeys, and yes, there are neighboring roosters that crow at dawn - all part of an authentic experience (that is what we are here for, isn't it?). Each dorm has a lovely connecting outside bath and shower. No hot water, but come on, who needs it when it is baking hot outside? The baths are large enough to move around in.

The pool is set up the hill about a minute walk. It was very clean when I was there, sure some leaves fell from the trees above, but the treat of having a pool at a hostel - I felt like I was lounging at a nice resort.

In fact, I found the property extremely clean.

I agree that the Argentine owner is grumpy. Hopefully he will hear about these reviews and either be an absent owner or start smiling a bit. The employees were pretty friendly, but it is true that sometimes you couldn't tell who was working.

The wi-fi worked pretty consistently, which means a lot in this part of CR. There is also a comfy chill out area, lots of chairs and pillows, with books and mags.

After a few days at Monkey we wanted a private room so we moved on. The private room was $45, which I think is much to high.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

Recently returned from a week at the Funky Monkey. Santa Teresa is a great little town. Very laid back feeling, beautiful beaches, and friendly people. I can't say much about the Funky Monkey though. I am sure there are MUCH nicer places to stay.

Good location...it is a 5 minute walk to the beach. They told me it was 2 minutes, but that isn't true unless you are running, very fast!

The negatives:
The pool was not clean - every time we went swimming we had to first use the pool cleaning net to remove dead bugs and leaves. Nothing says relaxing like having to clean a pool before swimming in it.

The bar/restaurant at Funky Monkey was overpriced. The food was good, but the main cook left mid-week and the quality of food went downhill. Also, it is on a tab basis and they tried to sneak in a couple things on our bill. When they told me the price I told them that it must be wrong, so I asked to see the tab, and they added in all kinds of extra drinks and meals. Be cautious.

Only one set of towels. We had to use the one towel for the entire week for showering, going to the pool and beach. Ridiculous.

Noise at night/morning. It was very hard to sleep. We slept horribly the entire time we were at the hotel. The Funky Monkey is located next to some interesting properties that have dogs, lots of roosters. I thought I was sleeping on a farm. And if the dogs and roosters aren't enough, you get to listen to the ATV's which are going at all hours of the night. If you decide to stay here, I suggest bringing ear plugs.

Bugs and unhelpful staff. One morning when we woke up there were bugs all over the floor of the room, as if an ant colony moved in while we were sleeping. I asked the staff if they could help. They weren't much help, they handed me a can of bug spray and asked that I bring it back to them when I'm done with it.

The employees running the reception area were interesting. Some of them were helpful, but others were not approachable. If you asked a question you were 'bothering' them. The problem is they aren't paid, if they agree to stay on for 2 months and work 4 hours a day, they stay for free. The majority of them sat in front of the TV all day, or played pool, so you could never tell if they were working or vacationing.

If you go to Santa Teresa I highly recommend the following:
-Eat at Rancho Burger - great affordable food.
-Rent an ATV for the day, go to the Waterfalls in Montezuma, they are incredible.
-Do the zip line tour, it was awesome.
-Drink Imperial (Costa Rican beer), I hope to find it somewhere back home.

Overall, I would definitely go back to Santa Teresa, but I would NOT go back to Funky Monkey.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
prague
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

After reading some reviews on this web site I have to say. Where have you people stay? Are we talking about the same funky monkey lodge in Santa Teresa???? I spend there a week with my wife and we've had the most amazing time in our lives. We haven't got any problem with the owners. The opposite is true. Gabi and Emilio are awesome and very hostile people. They help us with every question we come across. The food in restaurant was delicious and Rafa is a top chef. The beach is only a few meters from the hotel. If I can recommend this place don't hesitate and go for it as I said it is the best place to go and have fun. Nice people, excellent service, lovely place and of course no problem with towels or hot water.

Topnotch holiday ;-)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
costa rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

tsayed one night at the bungalow (was enough...). the room is open to the forest, feels like sleeping outdoor. shower is outdoor compleatly and does'nt had hot water.
payed 60 at the low season for couple (it's alot!)
staff are nice and the bar is good. cooking great food (roberto!).
good location, beside that not worth the money.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
LosAngeles/New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

Ohmigoodness...I am quite possibly the easiest person to please. I don't require much, just if you own a business, especially in Costa Rica (Pura Vida) in the business of travel and leisure...act like you like your guests at least, act like you kind of care, just a little...I can't even begin to go into the whole ordeal that essentially created a huge pit in my stomach from this place. My friend and I now refer to this place as either "The Angry Monkey" or "The [--] Monkey" I don't want to relive or waste any more energy on this place but to save you from the trouble, either stay at another hotel or if you are doing the Hostel thing than "Casa Del Mar" or "Cuesta Arriba" are the ways to go... The owners of both of those hostels would actually appreciate your business and make sure you had a lovely time....the way it's supposed to be when you are on vacation.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

The owner has not idea how to treat guests. The water was dripping out of the shower head in the bunglow I stayed in so after 2 days I took a 1 minute shower located across the main lodge. I was scolded by the owner and then given a lecture on saving water. I think he was more concerned about having to pay for the water truck delivery than saving water. The guy is from Argentina..a real a--hole. The bunglows were comfortable and the employees were friendly.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

.Although this hotel is modest, it is clean and comfortable The owners Gabi and Emilio along with their son Nouell, were wonderful and helpful hosts. They set us up with an awesome surf instructor, we helpful in setting up ATVing and Canopy Tours.

The food was delicious, Rafa was able to prepare some of the best meals I have ever had! And although Bruno did not enjoy making blended drinks when he did they were delicious.

I would highly reccommed this for anyone looking for a laid back trip that is just a bit off the beaten path!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Funky Monkey Lodge? Share your experiences!