“A Home Away From Home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Chardon, Ohio
“A Home Away From Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

The Funky Monkey Lodge made for a wonderful temporary home for 6 of our nights in Costa Rica. We ate very well (and tried sushi for the first time!), spent quality time on our hammock and took a lot of outdoor showers. This place, although not exactly glamorous, is truly the place you want to stay at if you are coming to Costa Rica to experience the country for all that it is. If you are looking to sit in your room and watch tv with the air on, you shouldn't stay here. This country and it's people are beautiful and we believe that The Funky Monkey had a large part in helping to show us that.

We really did eat some wonderful cuisine, Nacho and Juan are wonderful chefs and the Sushi is as wonderful as they say it is. We had the opportunity to make wonderful friends at the hotel and cheer on Costa Rica during their big victory! The swimming pool was quite beautiful and it was so refreshing to swim and watch the iguanas in the trees. The beach is a five minute walk down the road and we loved watching the surfers. Our room was beautiful and well kept, we did not have any problems with large bugs and grew quite fond of the small lizards who lived on our ceiling eating up the mosquito's.

I am not a lover of humidity and so Costa Rican weather was at times challenging for me (and my hair jajajaja) so I will say that although the outdoor shower was lovely, I did wish often that I could take a cold shower. It seemed that there was one setting but this is my preference and most people prefer a hot shower. We also enjoying the open air feel of the bungalow but agreed that an upgrade on some quality mosquito nets would have been nice.

All in all, The Funky Monkey Lodge is a jewel in the rough. We loved the location, our time here and most of all, the people that grew to be friends. We hope to return again!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
New Bern, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Paul & Tonya
My wife and I ventured to Costa Rica for the 1st time ever. She is a yoga instructor and I have a passion for surfing. We did a lot of research in choosing a destination. Santa Teresa was the place we chose. The Funky Monkey Lodge which was recommended by a local surf shop turned out to be "Diamond in the Jungle" with a very short walk to beach! Gabi and the staff treated us like family and trip was phenomenal! They arranged for yoga, surf expeditions, zip lines, swimming under waterfalls, 4 wheeling ATVs, etc! We did the all-inclusive dining..., unbelievable cuisine, especially sushi night! And the Saturday night party with a band that the hotel threw for the guest rocked! Sooooooooo much fun! Already planning for 2015!!! Thank you so much for making our trip awesome and giving us memories for a lifetime!!!
Paul & Tonya

Room Tip: My preference is the Bungalow; however, there are other types available.
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Beautiful property in the jungle with private cabins and a dorm. Awesome swimming pool. Short walk to the beach. Very friendly people. Nicely built structures. Dorm cabin ventilated by open air so there were some little critters here and there. The owner sprayed all the cabins with insecticide but because it's location in the jungle, it was obviously difficult for the owners to control all various types of creatures at the location. Very friendly staff. Had opportunity to see real monkeys. Would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Well, where do we start...we made a phone call to "Funky Monkey" praying that we could get a room at what appeared to be the middle of jungle. It was the complete opposite of what we were accustomed to; no luxury, no "concrete jungle" and no technology to disturb a long, well diserved vacation.

Funky Monkey was everything we expected and so much more.

Gab: hun your great, you were the most accomodating with us, you did the impossible to make us feel at home.

Emilio: I don't know how you came up with comcept of Funky Monkey but let say what am sure has been said many times before, " Your's a Genius", well done!!

Nacho: my bother from another mother, all the way from Argentina, you are a talented shef and humility is your greatest virtue, you are the funkiest of the monkeys.

Juan, my very reserved chef, your domina is very serious, but I don't expect less from a man of your caliber.

Lucio: You were great helping as get around and answering out 50,000 questions. Thank you!

Manu: I am sure that I am miss spelling your name, forgive me. You are the sweetest host, shine on my love, all the way around the world.

"Pepe" the Dog: My man, your one big old guy, and so sweet, I would have kissed you if I was crazy enough.

To all of you, Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! we had a great time and it was all thanks to you guys.

To you who is reading this review: The place is lovely, and ever so warm. It really makes you feel one with nature. The food "yum yum", don't question it, these guys can really cook up a storm. We loved, surfing, the ambiance, the ping pong table, the sounds of the birds and monkeys in the morning, and even the huge frogs. jajajajaja. The walks up town, the reggae party, the bicycle rides, driving the up the mountain and through the rivers, screaming on the zip line, diving in the water fall, the view, The friendly people of Santa Teresa, the silk, it was awasome. There is nothing, absolutly nothing about this trip that we didn't love, ecept that we had to leave. It was all a breath of fresh air in every sense of the word.

Pura vida, Pero en orden!!!!!

Gracias, un millon the gracias. Funky Monkey has left it's foot print in our hearts. To say the least, we are still talking about it. jajajajajaja.

Palomino, the surfing instructor: Thank you, my guy now want's a surfing board. Just what I needed. jajajajajajajajaja. You were great, very profesional, and extremely patient. Hat's off to you!

Gab, we are coming back soon. Tell Pepe to wait for me.

Room Tip: The Bungalow was really nice.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

My partner and I stayed at funky monkey for 6 nights in May 2014. We stayed in one of the bungalows. The bungalows are cute and I loved the outdoor shower. Although towards the end of our stay we didn't have hot water which was annoying. The bungalows don't have a/c but the fan worked well to cool down the room. However, if you are squeamish or hate bugs the bungalows are probably not for you as there are no screens throughout the room and it's sort of like luxury camping with a mosquito net. Room service was adequate, however, one day we put our towels on the floor to be changed and our exact same towels had been put back. If you're a light sleeper bring ear plugs as the wildlife is very loud at night and early morning. But it would be noisy anywhere you stayed : )

It's a very laid back atmosphere. If you are used to efficient quick service you will not find it here. Everyone is really friendly but the work ethic is super lax. Most of the employees are tourists on extended stays that work for room and board.

That being said we were super impressed with the kitchen staff and chefs. We got the meal plan and had breakfast and dinner for 4 days of our stay. The food was really fresh and healthy with lots options and variety. The sushi night is a must! Even if you don't stay here I recommend coming for the Wednesday or Saturday sushi night. Super fresh and creative rolls at a great price.

I found that there were a lot of mosquitoes and "no-see-ums" (aka sand flies) at funky monkey. I visited other yoga resorts and hotels during the week for lunch or yoga classes and didn't get any bug bites. But whenever I was at funky monkey I constantly did even when I used Deet.

I would stay again but only for max 2 nights.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
funkmunk, Manager at Funky Monkey Lodge, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear client
We always try our best to make your stay comfortable. There is a receptionist all day long waiting for ANY kind of complains. If there is a problem with hot water not working, or a towel not being changed if required, it is just couple steps to the reception area. We really need to be informed about those things. We won't be able to fix your problem without knowing..
May is the beginning of Rain season and the very end of dry season. The first rain usually brings mosquitos and some people get more sensitive to a bite than other. We always recommend to bring a bug spray. All our bungalows have a mosquito net especially during this time of year. The bungalows ARE rustic and open with a outside balcony - which is what most of our clients are looking for, once coming to tropical Costa Rica..
The property is slightly up the hill so we actually usually experience less mosquitos then places on the lower grounds.
Each room and bed is cleaned every day and we do general cleaning every check out.
On the other hand after a 6 month of dry season in May the town has a huge water deficit and we ask all our clients by emil, during check in and trough welcome signs in the room, to please help conserve water as much as possible. Our cleaning girl will not change your towel every use, unless you ask us to do so.. We do change your towel every 2 to 3 days and your sheets will be always changed if required for NO extra CHARGE….
Appreciate your review feedback, we take your suggestions seriously and respect the time you have taken to let us know
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

The cooks are amazing. The property is rustic and has a tropical feel. It's just a brief walk to the beach and if you need someone to show you, the dogs will be more that happy to take you there. Be aware that there is no A/C in the shared rooms. Also the bathroom is open air, so if it's raining you are getting wet. There also is no hot water in most of the rooms. If you are into 4 or 5 star retreats this is not it. It's more of a rustic outdoor kind of place. The town is small with lots of great restaurants. There are plenty of iguana's, lightening bugs, and monkeys to see.

Room Tip: The apartments have a/c and hot water. Rooms above the bar are nosey and the shared accommodations h...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Let's talk about how the Funky Monkey is really just the best place ever. The best part about this place is the staff--Gabi, Emilio, Bruno, the chefs, and all the crew are SO nice. Everyone that works here genuinely cares about the guests. They want you to have a great experience and go above and beyond to make sure you get what you want out of your trip.

During our time in Costa Rica we had some rather bad luck (did not involve staying at the Funky Monkey at all--completely separate incidents), and when we got back to the hotel and told the staff about some of the unfortunate things that had happened, they did whatever they could to help us.

This hotel is very social and all different kinds of people got along and hung out. Food is fantastic. Everything they make is so good! We stayed in a bungalow and loved the indoor/outdoor feel of our room. The location is very close to the beach and a grocery store.

Aside from surfing, the Funky Monkey was the best part of our time in Costa Rica! You must stay here. It's an awesome place!!

Room Tip: The bungalows are super cool if you want an indoor/outdoor feel. I loved the outdoor shower. However...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Funky Monkey Lodge? Share your experiences!