“Perfectly located...my 11 yr. old son loved it!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Funky Monkey Lodge

You added Funky Monkey Lodge to your Saves list
Funky Monkey Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   center of Santa Teresa | 200m From Public School, Santa Teresa 60111, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #15 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
“Perfectly located...my 11 yr. old son loved it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed for 3 very comfortable nights. Funky Monkey is a little more rustic than I am used too, but I am very glad I booked this lodge for my family. The price is right! We bumped into another family (they had 2 daughters) on their way out and they gave us great restaurant recommendations. The staff hooked us up with Juan from Natura Surf Life and we booked surf lessons for the next 3 days. So much fun! One day we went to Montezuma Falls. A great place to see.
The lodge has a great outdoor bar and restaurant. We did eat out mostly because there are so many amazing dining options in Santa Teresa. To save a few dollars we did buy fruit and yogurt at the grocery store and ate breakfast at the communal kitchen up above the pool. Sushi night was great at the Funky Monkey, they do it once a week and all the locals attend.
The staff was very helpful. They even prepared coffee early for me since I'm an early bird. There is a ping pong table, pool table and chess board to keep you entertained if you don't feel like taking a dip in the pool or booking private or group yoga lessons.
Our room had a full size bed and bunk beds, safe and mini fridge.The outdoor bathroom was amazing. A private shower in the sun, yes please! We all fought over the hammock on our porch. It is open concept...there are screens, mosquito netting and fans. You need to be ok with this. I will tell you though we ended our stay in Costa Rica at a 5 star resort and had fire ants in our room. You are in Costa Rica, there will be bugs!
The younger foreign and American travelers/backpackers were of no complaint to us, they never disturbed us. They kept to themselves or were pleasant.
Funky Monkey is in a great location. You can walk to the store, beach and to restaurants. It is set on top of a hill down a short road so that you are not on the main street going in and out of town.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We were planning to stay a couple of days but ended up staying a week- great accommodation (garden bathrooms, great pool etc), good location near the surf and cool cafes / restaurants, made outstanding by the staff- managers Tom and Bruno kept the reggae vibes and rum flowing in equal measure. Good times! see you again soon :)

• Stayed September 2013
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Everything was lovely until I was asked to move into another room because a party of eleven was expected in the dormitory. The shared room I was placed in wasn't pleasant at all. Plain. Sad. Boring. I had planned on staying a few extra days, but decided to leave instead.

Overall, I really enjoyed my conversations with Tina (morning cook). Nacho's Mojitos (also excellent cook and extremely nice). Elio, the new receptionist is super sweet and welcoming. Besides that, I'd say Funkey Monkey is a good place to be if you're traveling with friends. However, if you're traveling alone don't expect much from your surroundings especially during low season. I did feel bored/alone once or twice and didn't know what to do with myself. I mostly made friends with the locals -- played futbol, spent hours at the beach, danced at La Lora Amarilla, and slept.

Left to Montezuma soon after I was placed in the breadbox of a room...now Montezuma is a different review. :) <3

Cheers,
D.

Room Tip: Dorms and bungalows are pretty sweet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Haifa, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

wonderful view, tropical, wild, romantic
I stayed in a dormitory comfortable and pleasant
at night you can hear howl monkeys
I recall surfers and cool travelers around
there's even a swimming pool
Also well managed by an Israeli

Room Tip: private rooms vs. dormitory
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed 5 nights in Late May, early June with our son and daughter, who are in their early 20s. The accommodations were comfortable, the grounds, gardens, buildings and pool are beautiful and well maintained. The management is fantastic; they do whatever they can to make you comfortable. There are group housing options and a lot of young people, but it was not noisy at night,yet the place was lively and definitely family friendly. The daily food menu was not large but everything was very fresh and they have sushi night once or twice a week. It was a 5 minute walk to a gorgeous beach, good for surfing or swimming (watch for riptides!) and lovely sunsets over the water.

Room Tip: "apartments" are large and quiet, but if you have trouble with stairs, pass.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

The Funky Monkey in Santa Teresa should be your first choice when considering a place to stay in Santa Teresa, there is no better option.

This was our second trip to the Funky Monkey. I can't tell you enough how much I loved staying there both times. The owners and staff are incredible. The rooms are perfect. We stayed in the bungalows both times with a gorgeous view from the hammock overlooking the hillside and ocean.

Then there's the food. The FOOD! I had the most amazing mahi-mahi in a creamed cucumber dill sauce, it changed my life. The kitchen staff could cook in any boutique restaurant in Manhattan but instead they are nestled in Santa Teresa like the pearl in an oyster.

The manager Bruno attended to our every need, which for us isn't a long list, mainly coffee in the morning and a steady flow of beer in the evening. He arranged a cab for us from Montezuma and set us up for travel back to Jaco. We didn't need to raise a finger or spend an extra dime over the cost he gave us. He has set us up with flights, cabs, surfing and zip-lines and every time the plans went flawlessly. Any hotel would be lucky to have Bruno as a manager.

The owners are the sweetest couple and make us feel like a part of their own family. I can't express enough how much we enjoy their company and insight. Gabi, Emilio and Bruno will always be on our list of people to visit whenever we are in Costa Rica.

Room Tip: If you are traveling in a small group (2-3) stay in the bungalow its the best space for the money. w...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed here for the last 10 days of my trip. The place was exactly what I was after. The staff was amazing. Very helpful and friendly. The property is well laid out with fantastic amenities. All and all, Funky Monkey is a very well run resort/hotel and I would recommend a LONG stay if you can.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo