“Just another GREAT review for Funky Monkey Lodge:)” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #15 of 25 hotels in Santa Teresa
Ottawa, Canada
“Just another GREAT review for Funky Monkey Lodge:)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed here for the last 10 days of my trip. The place was exactly what I was after. The staff was amazing. Very helpful and friendly. The property is well laid out with fantastic amenities. All and all, Funky Monkey is a very well run resort/hotel and I would recommend a LONG stay if you can.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

147 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Hailey, ID
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

After a few trips to Santa Teresa, staying at different places each time, I always want to be back at the Funky Monkey.

It's great for a few different reasons:

1) It's a little bit off the main road, which can get really dusty, but it's only a 30 second walk down to a bustling corner with a great little coffee / batido (smoothie) spot (Zwart art cafe), surf shops, market, etc. Quick walk to the beach. Good breaks are all around...

2) The bungalow rooms are really nice. They've got private patios with hammocks. Clean and comfortable.

3) The food is amazing. I've eaten all over ST and the best meals I've had have been at the Funky Monkey. Very diverse, inexpensive and delicious. Don't miss sushi night!

4) It's got a friendly, fun, casual vibe. Really nice common spaces. Everyone is really fun, friendly and welcoming.

Go! It's great.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Good things first: the pool is really great - you can actually swim and it is very clean - this actually applies to the place in general. The location is also good - a little off the main road upon a hill.

Apart from that I can't share the general enthusiasm about the place. I slept in one of the dorms in a top bunk bed. It didn't have a railing and it was really difficult to climb in. Every slightest move while in there is answered by horrendous squeaking of the bed (not great for the other people in the dorm).

I only had breakfast there once - and do not recommend it. The portion was supersmall and quite expensive in relation to that. Walk down to the road and have breakfast in Zwart or Olam - maybe a slightly more expensive but definitely worth it!

With respect to staff, my experience wasn't amazing eigher. Apart from Gabi who is really nice and helpful the rest was rather unfriendly. Upon arrival I was only shown to the room but no other facilities (like pool or kitchen) were pointed out. When I asked if I could at least deposit my passport and credit card in a safe at reception (not trusting the locker outside the room entirely) my request was declined (even though I am pretty sure that I had asked about this possibility in my booking email and it was confirmed).

To summarize: I am not sure if I would recommend the place or stay there again next time. Maybe other hostels in town are better value.

• Stayed April 2013
funkmunk, Manager at Funky Monkey Lodge, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for your review.
I am really sorry the budget room didn´t fill your expectations, however it was clearly said in our previous emails that the budget room has a bunk bed. It is a regular bunk bed with ladder and yes, it may move a little if climbing up..Until now we didn´t have any complains. The rooms gets cleaned and the beds are made every day as any other private room.
As for Breakfast, we offer to our clients a 5$ simple BF, all plates come with fruits and free coffee to make sure we can fit in their budget. We are happy to add any extras if asked or you can also choose more pricy breakfast. As far I know Olam or Zwart charges for a breakfast from $8 and the coffee is extra charge.
I am sorry for the staff, we usually work with travelers that stay for extended time and we usually select the most friendly once.It is their task to show to a guest all amenities by check in. We will definitively improve that and point it out again! As much as we try to make them follow al the tasks perfectly, sometimes it´s not easy.
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is the second time I have visited Santa Teresa and the first time staying at the Funky Monkey. I loved the place, very nice and comfortable accomodations. It was relaxing and quiet. Loved the food, the chief Juan is such an artist! The whole staff was just delightful and very helpful with figuring out the tours. Gabby and her husband are so nice. Thank you for this wonderful experience! Pura Vida!

Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

A group of us stayed at the Funky Monkey Lodge with Chica Surf Adventures, if we had arrived with expectations reality would have blown them away. The property is situated perfectly in the hillside, close to great cafes, surf shops, the beach entrance, and the market. The echo of the crashing waves lulls you to sleep and in the morning the monkeys and chickens make sure you wake up!! Its' heaven on Earth, this piece of Santa Teresa. Gabi offers acrobatic silks classes and is a great teacher, the studio is always accessible, for yoga as well. With the breeze coming in off the Pacific it was one of my favorite places to hang out, followed by a dip in the tranquil pool. The food they make here is amazing. Breakfast made me smile every morning, always lots of fresh fruit and strong coffee. Dinner was always fresh fish, like, the fish truck just drove through town fresh, and was served every nights with my favorite salad ever. The guys who work there take pride in the food they serve and they are awesome. We really enjoyed all of our meals at the Monkey and just hanging at the bar or losing at pool. This place is amazing and you should for sure stay here!!

Room Tip: The apartments have AC and a great ocean view, but there are a LOT of stairs to get to them, I loved...
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Absolutely a great place for backpackers with great service and food! The people working there are very nice. It is also great for solo travelers I have to say. However, it is not a five star place, people come here for the atmoshpere and great dinners/drinks in the evening

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My group of friends and I stayed at the funky monkey for a week on a surf vacation. The layed back relaxing atmosphere in combination with the welcoming friendly staff is the perfect representation of the wonderful pace of life in Santa Teresa! We started our morning with a great breakfast and hot coffee prepared by the staff, and after a full day of all that Santa Teresa had to offer we came back to a fantastic dinner of fresh caught fish. Our room had a great ocean view, and all rooms have access to a community kitchen for the option of preparing our own meals with the option to save some money. I would recomend this to anyone looking for a place to stay! I will be back to Costa Rica and I will be staying at the funky monkey!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Funky Monkey Lodge? Share your experiences!