“Can't share the enthusiasm” 3 of 5 stars

center of Santa Teresa | 200m From Public School, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #15 of 25 hotels in Santa Teresa
“Can't share the enthusiasm”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Good things first: the pool is really great - you can actually swim and it is very clean - this actually applies to the place in general. The location is also good - a little off the main road upon a hill.

Apart from that I can't share the general enthusiasm about the place. I slept in one of the dorms in a top bunk bed. It didn't have a railing and it was really difficult to climb in. Every slightest move while in there is answered by horrendous squeaking of the bed (not great for the other people in the dorm).

I only had breakfast there once - and do not recommend it. The portion was supersmall and quite expensive in relation to that. Walk down to the road and have breakfast in Zwart or Olam - maybe a slightly more expensive but definitely worth it!

With respect to staff, my experience wasn't amazing eigher. Apart from Gabi who is really nice and helpful the rest was rather unfriendly. Upon arrival I was only shown to the room but no other facilities (like pool or kitchen) were pointed out. When I asked if I could at least deposit my passport and credit card in a safe at reception (not trusting the locker outside the room entirely) my request was declined (even though I am pretty sure that I had asked about this possibility in my booking email and it was confirmed).

To summarize: I am not sure if I would recommend the place or stay there again next time. Maybe other hostels in town are better value.

• Stayed April 2013
funkmunk, Manager at Funky Monkey Lodge, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for your review.
I am really sorry the budget room didn´t fill your expectations, however it was clearly said in our previous emails that the budget room has a bunk bed. It is a regular bunk bed with ladder and yes, it may move a little if climbing up..Until now we didn´t have any complains. The rooms gets cleaned and the beds are made every day as any other private room.
As for Breakfast, we offer to our clients a 5$ simple BF, all plates come with fruits and free coffee to make sure we can fit in their budget. We are happy to add any extras if asked or you can also choose more pricy breakfast. As far I know Olam or Zwart charges for a breakfast from $8 and the coffee is extra charge.
I am sorry for the staff, we usually work with travelers that stay for extended time and we usually select the most friendly once.It is their task to show to a guest all amenities by check in. We will definitively improve that and point it out again! As much as we try to make them follow al the tasks perfectly, sometimes it´s not easy.

147 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is the second time I have visited Santa Teresa and the first time staying at the Funky Monkey. I loved the place, very nice and comfortable accomodations. It was relaxing and quiet. Loved the food, the chief Juan is such an artist! The whole staff was just delightful and very helpful with figuring out the tours. Gabby and her husband are so nice. Thank you for this wonderful experience! Pura Vida!

Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

A group of us stayed at the Funky Monkey Lodge with Chica Surf Adventures, if we had arrived with expectations reality would have blown them away. The property is situated perfectly in the hillside, close to great cafes, surf shops, the beach entrance, and the market. The echo of the crashing waves lulls you to sleep and in the morning the monkeys and chickens make sure you wake up!! Its' heaven on Earth, this piece of Santa Teresa. Gabi offers acrobatic silks classes and is a great teacher, the studio is always accessible, for yoga as well. With the breeze coming in off the Pacific it was one of my favorite places to hang out, followed by a dip in the tranquil pool. The food they make here is amazing. Breakfast made me smile every morning, always lots of fresh fruit and strong coffee. Dinner was always fresh fish, like, the fish truck just drove through town fresh, and was served every nights with my favorite salad ever. The guys who work there take pride in the food they serve and they are awesome. We really enjoyed all of our meals at the Monkey and just hanging at the bar or losing at pool. This place is amazing and you should for sure stay here!!

Room Tip: The apartments have AC and a great ocean view, but there are a LOT of stairs to get to them, I loved...
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Absolutely a great place for backpackers with great service and food! The people working there are very nice. It is also great for solo travelers I have to say. However, it is not a five star place, people come here for the atmoshpere and great dinners/drinks in the evening

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My group of friends and I stayed at the funky monkey for a week on a surf vacation. The layed back relaxing atmosphere in combination with the welcoming friendly staff is the perfect representation of the wonderful pace of life in Santa Teresa! We started our morning with a great breakfast and hot coffee prepared by the staff, and after a full day of all that Santa Teresa had to offer we came back to a fantastic dinner of fresh caught fish. Our room had a great ocean view, and all rooms have access to a community kitchen for the option of preparing our own meals with the option to save some money. I would recomend this to anyone looking for a place to stay! I will be back to Costa Rica and I will be staying at the funky monkey!

Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I cannot say enough wonderful things about staying at the Funky Monkey. I randomly heard about it from a girl on a plane two years ago and decided to go for it. After having other hostels/hotels recommended to me, I still settled on the Funky Monkey after reading the reviews.

I stayed in the "hostel" room with bunks. They are very clean and surprisingly extremely comfortable. Even in the dorm beds, the beds were made everyday and the rooms were cleaned. Although there are lockers available and it's always good to be safe, I never locked my passport/money up and felt completely safe about it. The only downfall (which isn't really a downfall) was the shower which barely had any water coming out of it. However, it was the dry season and it isn't much different anywhere else.

Being a 21-year old woman, I was a bit nervous about traveling alone, and this was the perfect place to be. It's so easy to meet people, including other solo travelers and just to have a place to hang out. Gabi, Bruno, Nacho and everyone else were so nice and helpful. I recommend booking directly through the Funky Monkey.

I always had someone to surf with and someone to go to dinner with/do anything else that I wanted. It's a really chill but social atmosphere which is exactly what I wanted. It is about five minutes from the beach which was a bit of a hike with a 7-foot surfboard but I got used to it. It is about three minutes from a supermarket where I would grab fruit for lunch and really in the middle of everything you want. I liked the fact that I wasn't staying all the way to one side of the town. It's about a 15-minute walk far down either end and the Funky Monkey is perfectly in the middle. Not to mention, the beach access is to what I think is the best stretch of beach in the area.

I saw the Funky Monkey as a sort of combination between a hotel/lodge just with two hostel-like rooms. The hostels on the beach seemed louder and nowhere near as clean. I met a few people who moved from other places to the Funky Monkey for those reasons. STAY HERE! You will not regret it. Also, the food is amazing.. the bar is a little pricey but the food is similar to anywhere else in Santa Teresa.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are above the communal kitchen, which is up a MILLION stairs. I would not want to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Newport, RI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We spent 2 nights here after a last minute change in our trip! The owners were so nice and were able to squeeze us in the last room available! The rates were very reasonable- would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Book early so you can get the best choice of rooms!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Funky Monkey Lodge? Share your experiences!