“Great place!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 25 hotels in Santa Teresa
Stockholm, Sweden
“Great place!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Absolutely a great place for backpackers with great service and food! The people working there are very nice. It is also great for solo travelers I have to say. However, it is not a five star place, people come here for the atmoshpere and great dinners/drinks in the evening

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

149 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My group of friends and I stayed at the funky monkey for a week on a surf vacation. The layed back relaxing atmosphere in combination with the welcoming friendly staff is the perfect representation of the wonderful pace of life in Santa Teresa! We started our morning with a great breakfast and hot coffee prepared by the staff, and after a full day of all that Santa Teresa had to offer we came back to a fantastic dinner of fresh caught fish. Our room had a great ocean view, and all rooms have access to a community kitchen for the option of preparing our own meals with the option to save some money. I would recomend this to anyone looking for a place to stay! I will be back to Costa Rica and I will be staying at the funky monkey!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I cannot say enough wonderful things about staying at the Funky Monkey. I randomly heard about it from a girl on a plane two years ago and decided to go for it. After having other hostels/hotels recommended to me, I still settled on the Funky Monkey after reading the reviews.

I stayed in the "hostel" room with bunks. They are very clean and surprisingly extremely comfortable. Even in the dorm beds, the beds were made everyday and the rooms were cleaned. Although there are lockers available and it's always good to be safe, I never locked my passport/money up and felt completely safe about it. The only downfall (which isn't really a downfall) was the shower which barely had any water coming out of it. However, it was the dry season and it isn't much different anywhere else.

Being a 21-year old woman, I was a bit nervous about traveling alone, and this was the perfect place to be. It's so easy to meet people, including other solo travelers and just to have a place to hang out. Gabi, Bruno, Nacho and everyone else were so nice and helpful. I recommend booking directly through the Funky Monkey.

I always had someone to surf with and someone to go to dinner with/do anything else that I wanted. It's a really chill but social atmosphere which is exactly what I wanted. It is about five minutes from the beach which was a bit of a hike with a 7-foot surfboard but I got used to it. It is about three minutes from a supermarket where I would grab fruit for lunch and really in the middle of everything you want. I liked the fact that I wasn't staying all the way to one side of the town. It's about a 15-minute walk far down either end and the Funky Monkey is perfectly in the middle. Not to mention, the beach access is to what I think is the best stretch of beach in the area.

I saw the Funky Monkey as a sort of combination between a hotel/lodge just with two hostel-like rooms. The hostels on the beach seemed louder and nowhere near as clean. I met a few people who moved from other places to the Funky Monkey for those reasons. STAY HERE! You will not regret it. Also, the food is amazing.. the bar is a little pricey but the food is similar to anywhere else in Santa Teresa.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are above the communal kitchen, which is up a MILLION stairs. I would not want to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Newport, RI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We spent 2 nights here after a last minute change in our trip! The owners were so nice and were able to squeeze us in the last room available! The rates were very reasonable- would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Book early so you can get the best choice of rooms!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed here as part of a bodyboarding holiday and what a great place to be. A short 5 minute walk to one of the most beautiful beaches in the world plus some amazing wildlife right in front of your room. We also enjoyed the friendly relaxed service and very good breakfasts. IT was also nice to chill out by the shady pool in the hot sunshine.

Overall we would strongly recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed in one of the little bungalows and really enjoyed my experience there. The best part of this hotel is having your own balcony. My sister and I ate all of our meals there and spent some time reading on rainy days (you are protected from the rain!). The kitchen was convenient, quite well stocked, not the cleanest place I've seen but still veyr functional and convenient when trying to save money on restaurant meals. The beach is gorgeous and only a 5 minute walk from the lodge. We took a surfing lesson with their instructors which was great, and cheap. We each had our own private instructor for 3 hours, at the cheap cost of 35$ each! The bungalows are not closed up, so bugs and reptiles in the room are to be expected. As well, bear in mind that you will wake up every morning at 4am because of the howler monkeys, barking dogs and roosters!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

we meant to stay for 2 nights. it was easy to extend for another night even for a week if time wasnt too short. mal pais is a real nice place with beautiful sunsets every night but what made us feel special and comfortable from the very first minute was the lodge itself and mostly the wonderful crew of the lodge. special thanks for an awesome 4 days to leon, nara, tali, sebastian, nacho and amanda! u guys are f..... amazing!!!
much love and pura vida,
farida and sina.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Funky Monkey Lodge? Share your experiences!