I cannot say enough wonderful things about staying at the Funky Monkey. I randomly heard about it from a girl on a plane two years ago and decided to go for it. After having other hostels/hotels recommended to me, I still settled on the Funky Monkey after reading the reviews.
I stayed in the "hostel" room with bunks. They are very clean and surprisingly extremely comfortable. Even in the dorm beds, the beds were made everyday and the rooms were cleaned. Although there are lockers available and it's always good to be safe, I never locked my passport/money up and felt completely safe about it. The only downfall (which isn't really a downfall) was the shower which barely had any water coming out of it. However, it was the dry season and it isn't much different anywhere else.
Being a 21-year old woman, I was a bit nervous about traveling alone, and this was the perfect place to be. It's so easy to meet people, including other solo travelers and just to have a place to hang out. Gabi, Bruno, Nacho and everyone else were so nice and helpful. I recommend booking directly through the Funky Monkey.
I always had someone to surf with and someone to go to dinner with/do anything else that I wanted. It's a really chill but social atmosphere which is exactly what I wanted. It is about five minutes from the beach which was a bit of a hike with a 7-foot surfboard but I got used to it. It is about three minutes from a supermarket where I would grab fruit for lunch and really in the middle of everything you want. I liked the fact that I wasn't staying all the way to one side of the town. It's about a 15-minute walk far down either end and the Funky Monkey is perfectly in the middle. Not to mention, the beach access is to what I think is the best stretch of beach in the area.
I saw the Funky Monkey as a sort of combination between a hotel/lodge just with two hostel-like rooms. The hostels on the beach seemed louder and nowhere near as clean. I met a few people who moved from other places to the Funky Monkey for those reasons. STAY HERE! You will not regret it. Also, the food is amazing.. the bar is a little pricey but the food is similar to anywhere else in Santa Teresa.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beach lodge on a natural hill in the middle of a private jungle, away from the main street but only 200m walking from the main surfer beach, famous for its white sand and perfect waves. Great place for solo travelers, couples, families or groups. Clean and comfortable rooms with daily maid, free wireless, free and secure parking, safe place with restaurant and swimming pool. Great getaway! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, HostelBookers and HostelWorld so you can book your Funky Monkey Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Funky Monkey Hotel Santa Teresa
- Funky Monkey Santa Teresa
- Funky Monkey Lodge Costa Rica/Santa Teresa