“Great food, great staff, great stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Funky Monkey Lodge

You added Funky Monkey Lodge to your Saves list
Funky Monkey Lodge
center of Santa Teresa | 200m From Public School, Santa Teresa 60111, Costa Rica   |
Special Offer
Special Deal!
Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Portland, Maine
“Great food, great staff, great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

The Funky Monkey was a great place for me and my 2 kids, 11 and 13, to spend the beach part of our Costa Rica vacation. It was just what I was looking for - simple, friendly, safe and comfortable; a step up from a hostel but affordable. We had a private bungalow with a queen bed and bunk beds, and private bathroom with cold water shower. Everything is open air, including the bathroom, which I loved. it was hot outside but with the ceiling fan we were very comfortable (no A/C). We spent a lot of time reading and relaxing in the hammocks on the porch. It is up the hill off the main road, so it felt very safe and tucked away. It's not on the beach and doesn't have ocean views, but the beach is an easy 5 minute walk and it has lovely grounds and pool. I gave it a 3 for sleep because the mattresses aren't the greatest and the dogs and roosters are pretty busy pretty early. We had a surfing lesson with Nacho which was fantastic, and I took a great yoga class at the property's dojo. The food was excellent. I would definitely return and highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

If leaving all worries and sense of time at home, than let the world function without you for a while, and check into the Funky Monkey. If your'e a high maintenance traveler, this may not be the best place for you. You will be asked to conserve power and water, (god forbid!) go without air conditioning and TV, but what it may lack in luxury, is more than made up for in character, breathtaking views, and a super friendly and attentive staff. Between the warm welcome we recieved, with no hassle check in, and the uber laid back vibe, my husband and I felt immediatlely at home. No need for expensive spa treatments when you can simply siesta in the balcony hammock right off your private bungalow, or shower outdoors in the balmy weather, listening to howler monkeys and watching tropical birds. We chose to simply relax the majority of the time, sans one surfing lesson taught by a hotel employee. Thank you Nacho! We also reccomend renting an ATV to explore various coastal villages nearby, especially Montazuma, famous for its waterfalls and zipline tours. For those less lazythen us, check out the daily classes of yoga, silk, and various martial arts. The hotel will also arrange other outings or trips you're into. Local eateries abound, but we chose to eat breakfast and AMAZING dinners at the bar. Menu changes nightly, made with fresh local ingredients and lovingly preprared by master chef Juan. Bruno kept us entertained, and the cocktails coming while watching the activity in the open air kitchen. Although local roosters seem to wake up just as you're going to bed, i was so relaxed that sleeping through it was no problem. The seven nights we stayed went by way to quickly and we have never felt so much emotion leaving from a vacation. This place is very special, and works its way into your heart and soul very quickly. The small staff opened thier hearts and home to us, and we had an unbelievable experience.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

My partner and I had a great 5 night stay at the Funky Monkey. We stayed in a bungalow and got the breakfast and dinner package. The food is amazing (thanks Juan!) We had banana pancakes and fruit every morning and really great seafood dinners every night. I will say, at breakfast we felt like we were putting the staff out by eating there but it didn't feel this way at dinner. The room was perfect, very comfortable and spacious. Nice sitting area out the back. We were woken up quite early by roosters and howler monkeys (but this was kind of cool!) The owners were very nice and helpful.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

My husband and I went to the Funky Monkey for dinner on our first night in Santa Teresa and ended up going back several times during our vacation!! Bruno and Juan make an amazing team and will give you nothing but the best when it comes to food and customer service! The chicken, tuna, and sushi were delicious and the calamari was to die for!! I also recommend having Bruno make you one of his delightful cocktails to help you settle into Pura Vida! If you’re going to be in the area, you must try this place!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

One word sums up the Funky Monkey Lodge - WOW. After reading all of the reviews here on tripadvisor I was very excited to spend my vacation at the Funky Monkey. The other reviews here about Funky Monkey Lodge had me worried that everyone may have set my expectations so high that they could not be met. Well those expectations were not only met they were exceeded. So far exceeded I wish I could rate the Funky Monkey 6 Stars.

We arrived on a Sunday afternoon and we were promptly greeted and quickly showed to our room and given a tour of the Funky Monkey. We stayed in Bungalow #1 for the next week. Bruno not only showed us around but immediately made us feel like we were home, he was amazing at telling us about what all activities we could do while we were in the area and quick to answer any questions we had. Promptly followed by introducing us to the other people that worked there.

We met Gabi, Emilio, and Juan. Gabi was very patient with all my questions before we booked a few months in advance and was as patient with answering any questions we had during our visit. Everyone at the Funky Monkey was very helpful and remembered our name throughout the whole week that we were there and made us feel as if we were part of the "FAMILY". Our Bungalow was in a perfect location not far from the beach and close to everything we wanted to see in the area.

The Bungalows are rather large with am incredible garden view bathroom you felt like you were in a jungle as you showered. The Funky Monkey had a ton of things to occupy your time: Ping Pong Table, Pool Table and the most amazing Swimming pool to relax in after a long day of activities.

The landscaping around the Funky Monkey just has to be seen to be believed. When you combines the relaxed and friendly nature of the people there as well as the scenery you just immediately felt at home and relaxed. Did I mention the pool was simply wonderful. The atmosphere of the resort made us exponentially enjoy our time there..

Juan and Bruno made sure we were never hungry and always served up the best food we had while in Costa Rica as well as a few beers each night. We would come home to smiling faces welcoming us back to the resort and immediately Juan or Bruno would begin creating the meal that we looked forward to each day on our way back from an adventure or tour.

I was there celebrating my birthday and on the evening of my birthday they prepared a special meal of Lobster and even a birthday cake. Juan remembering that I mentioned I like spicy food that I just mentioned in passing at the beginning of the week even surprised me with spicing up my bday meal for me. Then came the cake with a candle!!!!!

I never got tired of eating there. I guess I could go in to how great the breakfast was every morning but I assume you can guess that it was amazing also.

No doubt this was the best resort that we could have ever lucked into booking for this trip. Just doesn't seem fair that I rated some other resorts as Excellent when compared to the Funky Monkey. There should be another category to put the Funky Monkey in by itself - 6 stars!!!!!!!!

We will definitely be headed back to the Funky Monkey as soon as we can... Maybe Bruno will get better at Ping Pong so we won't beat him so bad next time.

Again THANK YOU ... Gabi, Emilio, Bruno, Juan, Nacho, and Scott!!!

Room Tip: Have Juan make the Tuna Dinner!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

I stayed at the Funky Monkey the week before Thanksgiving and had the most incredible 10 day stay. The accommodations were more than pleasant, the place felt like home, and the food I have no word to explain but [---]. The most delicious banana pancakes, fish, steak milanesa, sushi with all the freshest ingredients and flavors made by unforgettable smiles in the kitchen. The Funky Monkey family, as I like to call them (Gabi, Emilio, Bruno, Juan, Luciano, Nacho, Scott and the two dogs) is what puts this place over the top. I was there with the Chica Surf Adventures surf camp along with 15 other girls. The ability to accommodate all of crazy women despite some crazy rain storms and a “little” mud ;-) was unbelievable. A special thank you kiss to each of the Funky Monkeys for opening my eyes to a different way of life. I would highly recommend the Funky Monkey and plan to go back to see everyone next year.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

The Funky Monkey literally felt like home. The atmosphere made it impossible to be tense or stressed. The owners greeted us with smiles and Gabi helped us plan our trip from the time we made our reservations and during our stay. They helped us line up transportation from the airport to them and gave us a map to show us all of the must sees in the area. We met many amazing people both visitors and staff. Bruno was an amazing cook AND bartender (yes...all of the rumors are true ; }). We are already trying to get more people to come back with us next time. Our Bungalow was beautiful and the pictures that I have seen on here give you a good idea, but by no means do this place justice! We have made great friends during our stay that I would very much like to see again in the near future... you know who you are! = } We definitely highly recommend the Funky Monkey to our fellow travelers...Pura Vida

Room Tip: We had Bungalow 1 and it was pretty great, but it only slept four. Luckily we had a party of 2 so i...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Funky Monkey Lodge? Share your experiences!