“Where to go to chill after a busy day in Santa Teresa” 5 of 5 stars

Funky Monkey Lodge
center of Santa Teresa | 200m From Public School, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Los Angeles, California
“Where to go to chill after a busy day in Santa Teresa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

The Funky Monkey is a nice place to stay, especially if you simply want to relax. It is located above the main strip that runs through Santa Teresa. So it is nice and quiet and close to the beach. I went there with a group for a week and got to know the crew that keep it going - I can't think of enough nice things to say about them. :-)

I also enjoyed relaxing by the pool and getting to know the local iguanas that like to stop in to see what everyone is up to. Listening to the sounds of nature at night that surround the property. Sipping Imperial beer while watching the Stanley Cup playoffs with other lodge guests from Canada and learning interesting facts such as, Sean Avery is not a huge boob like he is when he's on the ice - I believe it too. The rooms are comfortable bungalows with little porches that have two chairs, small table and hammock.

Do not come here if you are not prepared for the weather. It is a very hot, sticky tropical environment. In this part of Costa Rica water is scarce and must be conserved at all costs. So, there is a probable chance that you will be limited to one shower per day. Also be aware that it is very buggy here. There are a lot of skeeters and other creepy crawly things that like to feast on people. If you do not like to be eaten alive, have allergies to bites, you may not want to visit this part of Costa Rica.

If you don't care about that kind of thing, have a sense of adventure, love to surf and meet nice people come to Santa Teresa and stay at the Funky Monkey if you can. :-)

• Stayed May 2011

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

1. Alex, the chef at the restaurant, is nothing less than amazing! Menu changes constantly and he will try to satisfy your appettite with the best dishes you've ever had in your life.
2. Bruno's mixed drinks and hospitality. He was extremely courteous and helpful. He also makes the most delicious drinks and makes tons of jokes :) (tell Alex and Bruno that Karen from Orlando sent you if you want special treatment... trust me)
3. Gabi's yoga classes. Yoga classes in the middle this place while you listen to the ocean and the sounds of nature is simply amazing.
4. The pool is perfect for an early morning dip or even one in the late afternoon.
5. Atmosphere... I have backpacked in Europe and other places in South America but I had never found a place that made me feel so relaxed and at ease.

When I got to Funky Monkey I was expecting to only stay here for 2 days and ended up staying here for 6 days!!! I miss the staff and everything about this place... I wish I could go back!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Mont-Saint-Hilaire, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

We stayed at the Funky monkey lodge in March for 4 nights ! The people were great : staff and the guests ! Always avalaible to give us some surf advices, .they have a great pool, nice kitchen ! Nothing better in the afternoon to go the grocery, buy some fruits, come back to the Funky Monkey, make a nice fruits plates and enjoy it in the pool ! But just expect that you are in hut, so you always hear the wildlife at night : monkeys, roasters, dogs and party people ! But it was an amazing place, great food and nice people ! Thanks to all of you guys !

ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

We ended up at Funky Monkey by accident, and we loved it. Nahuel, Guillaume, Guillaume's novia (I forget your name!) - all of you guys made us feel really at home (Meghan & Brian from Canada). Here's what we liked:
- service was excellent - everyone was so nice and helpful, and always tried to find solutions to our problems, treated us like friends
- location: really close to the beach, a short walk
- facilities: we loved the pool, the pool table, the kitchen, the communal area for hanging out, watching TV, having a drink
- the beds were good, comfortable

things we didn't like:
- it was noisy in the morning! but that happens everywhere in Costa Rica, pretty much
- it was so, so hot - again, not the fault of the hotel!

That's really all I can think of... we had the most fun staying at Funky Monkey, I wish we could've stayed there for our whole time in Santa Teresa! Thank you guys!

boulder, co
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

Recently my girlfriends and I took a much needed vacation to Santa Teresa, Costa Rica. I cannot say enough fabulous things about the Funky Monkey and their staff. Upon arrival, we were greeted and shown our quaint bungalow. Very well priced, clean, spacious, open and adorable bungalow. Time seemed to stop; so relaxing. Emilio, Gabi, Noel, and the rest of the staff are able and willing to help you with whatever you need. We left Costa Rica feeling like we were leaving friends, and planning our return. One of the best places I have ever been to.
Boulder, Colorado

damascus maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

This was the worst experience I have ever had with a place to stay - I do not say hotel or lodge, because it is a YOUTH HOSTEL and a very overpriced one. I felt like I was cheated and overcharged - again there was no room available for 2 people, only 6 people and we paid $135.00 - (actually 145.00 because we could not pay cash and had to charge it - and he acted like he was doing US a BIG FAVOR by allowing him to charge the room. ) We should have just walked away and stayed at one of the much nicer hotels in Santa Theresa (which we did the following night) Magically, the following day a room became available for 2 people but at that point I would rather walk through fire than give these slime balls another dime. There are plenty of nice places to stay in the area for a fraction of the price. The following night we stayed at another hotel (closer to town - this one is NOT in the heart of the town BTW) and with a small kitchenette AND air conditioning (the flunky monkey does NOT HAVE AC as they advertise - again, it is a YOUTH HOSTEL). If the Flunky monkey was my only experience in Costa Rica, I would never return and tell all my friends how awful the people are. In reality it was only this place, so I just tell them that.

• Stayed March 2011
funkmunk, Owner at Funky Monkey Lodge, responded to this review, April 4, 2011
We are really sorry that those ladies didn't like our place, they were probably looking for a 5star hotel and couldn't accept that there are also people on budget. I am also not very sure that someone that stays only 1 night can judge somebody or something, as there was not much time to get to know the place.
We do not obligate anybody to stay in our lodge and if the hotel is busy (as it was at the moment) we just offer what we have available.. The last availability we had, at the moment of the ladies phone call reservation.. was our 6 person apartment with ocean view and AC - yes, the most expensive room (there was obviously AC inside the room, why would we offer something that doesn't exist....) . We offered the regular price of this room and she agreed..
If we knew that was not what they were expecting we would be happy to recommend an other place..
If a private room for 2 people gets available (of course cheaper then an apartment for 6 with AC and ocean view..) we are happy to offer it to our clients, so there in no Magic..??
Our lodge is not a place for people that are looking for luxury vacation and exaggerated service... (however we have reception available for our clients all day long, daily room cleaning, and even offer carry luggage to the room..) Our lodge is for people that just want to relax, learn surf, meet people and have fun during they stay.. We do have private rooms for couples and families, but we also have larger rooms for groups of friends etc.. Our prices are more than reasonable, comparing other places with the same amenities.
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

I arrived this well hidden funky lodge full of surprises. 3 nights stay was just not enough.
It has the coolest and rough feel in front with the suites are chic, make sure you use the net. The dorm beds wow even made me jealous, so clean with a wider single beds. I swapped my detached chalet for a bed in a dorm to share with
my friends Kate and Maia I met there. And upper level there was this L shape stylish swimming pool designed for the swimmers ! And it has a sign for quietness! I went for a dip in the morning before the perfect breakfast. Yes even in 5 start hotel you cant have such quality chef. You will never overeat, only good food carefully prepared in the right portion. The owner will make great cocktails, I had all the time ! And don't go anywhere else for dinners, this is another treat!!

In the evenings, I felt at ease to sit by the bar. People were so friendly to talk to. And in no time, I felt as in a family. During the day, surfing lessons down the road to beach was really good. Do book it by 9.30 for 11am low tides (beginners). Easily gets one to one coaching. I wish I did that for a few days. A massage house by the beach, again book it in advance, only $40 per hour. And don't miss sunset on the beach around 5pm, high tide with all the advanced surfers.

I would love to come back Costa Rica just to stay here for a week or 10 days.
I can refresh my mind, plenty exercises, make friends, to be fed with great quality food and drinks and surrounded with nature.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Been to Funky Monkey Lodge? Share your experiences!