“Cool spot with awesome, helpful staff on a beautiful, pristine beach with vivid, dramatic sunsets!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Red Palm Villas

VILLAS AVAIL UNTIL DEC 28
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

My girlfriend and I really enjoyed our stay at RPV. All of the staff were incredibly helpful in giving us the lay of the land in Santa Teresa - Mal Pais...one of the greatest beaches I have ever been to. We went during the busiest week (between X-mas and New Years) and getting a rental car was quite difficult - Yateem...at RPV managed to get me one of the last available rental ATV's in the area...basically saving my trip and then gave me insight into a bunch of amazing beaches and restaurants to hit up in the area. RPV staff also helped arrange massages, surf lessons, a boat trip and dinner reservations for us. Red Palm Villas is the place to say if you want to be in Santa Teresa, in a nicer accomodation but still feel like you are part of what Santa Teresa is all about...rather than some of the other upmarket accomodations further up the beach where you are more on a resort and have less opportunity to take advantage of the awesome beachtown around you.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Jupiter, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

The Red Palm Villas and Santa Theresa provided us with an amazing vacation! At Red Palm you have the best of both worlds, with many hotel amenities (including a fully loaded surf/snorkel cabana) with the privacy of your own beach front cottage. The pictures on the Red Palm site don't lie ... it really does look that good when you get there. Our home was super clean with lots of little smart extras like fresh water foot cleaning pools out side the doors! Jess and Mike run a clean fantastic resort everyone is always happy to help organize reservations for dining, zip tours, surf lessons yoga and anything else you want. The trip can be as plush or rustic as you choose and they know where to send you to get either end of the spectrum (we did a bit of both)! The scenery and wildlife are unmatched - we drank coffee in the morning listening to and watching monkeys swing past our balcony (we were in the humming bird villa) met an iguana, walked through tide pools full of life, surfed, read books, ate amazing food (everything super fresh), cooked in our little kitchen and even ended up having a dinner party for 11 of our new friends on fish my husband and others caught. The staff at the Red Palm surprised us, I asked if we could have a few extra wine glasses for our dinner party and when we came home in the evening with our groceries they had laid out tea lights and flower petals all over the dining and living areas!

If surfing is your thing this is the place - you can be out of bed and on the beach before your eyes are even fully open! Mick (local surf coach arranged by Mike of Red Palm before our arrival) was fantastic - a real teacher who had me out in the real waves and making it into shore (occasionally) still standing. He was so great we have already decided to head back so that our now 3 and 6 year old boys can learn from him! The last night we did a sunset surf that was some crazy combination of peaceful and exhilarating - great waves, pelicans fishing sun setting a modest number of surfers out enjoying the same thing... wow!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

I'm long overdue on this review since we stayed at Red Palms in early September, but we haven't stopped talking about it since. We stayed here on our honeymoon and it was everything we were looking for. We picked this place because we wanted something a little off the beaten path (not all inclusive, large hotel), but we also didn't want a dump. This was beyond perfect!

We stayed in the Hummingbird Villa, which was 2 story, open air bungalow that had one room that was fully enclosed and had AC. My wife is not the most adventerous so having this room was perfectly comfortable for her. It also had a full kitchen which was great for cooking breakfast and snacks instead of eating out every meal. The bungalow sits about 50 yards from the beach, which for most of the day was pretty deserted apart from the occasional passerby. It pretty much feels like you own the place, and the bungalow itself is something you will go home bragging about, or at least I did.

Everyone wants to see monkeys..yes there were plenty of them. We rented an ATV which I would suggest so that getting to and from town is easier, but you can easily walk it in 20 minutes.

We traveled a bit more after our stay at Red Palms, and if I were to do it again, I'd just stay put for the duration of the trip. Its that romantic, relaxing, and comfortable! The owners and the staff were all the help you can ask for and the accommodations were a mix of rustic and luxury.

If you want a "bungalow on the beach" kind of vacation, I don't know how you top this. They have gotten every recommendation, and we haven't stopped talking about it since.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

We went to Santa Teresa in the end of September (which is apparently the low of the low season, but for us was very dry with almost no rain). We were originally planning on renting one of the luxury suites (supposedly also very nice, although we did not see them), but due to the low traffic, Mike, the owner was very accommodating, and gave us the honeymoon villa for a fraction of the high season rate. The villa had a very nice open air shower facing the ocean, and an air-conditioned master bedroom, and another double bed upstairs adjacent to a full kitchen and sitting area. The upstairs is not air-conditioned, but very airy with lots of windows and a few ceiling fans. The villa can comfortably sleep 4, but there were only 2 of us, so we switched it up, and took some naps in the breeze upstairs, and slept at night downstairs. There was a large front patio, with a great unobstructed view of the ocean which was about 200 feet away. The entire property is very well laid-out, so each villa has a good amount of privacy, and the decor is nice, simple, and not cheesy. From the villas we were able to set up surf lessons with Mick, a local instructor, who took us to nearby Playa Hermosa to learn (no rocks, so safe for beginners). He was a very good teacher, and we were both able to stand within a few tries. The Red Palm Villas is a good combination of a vacation rental and a hotel. There is bed-turning service everyday, but you have the privacy of a rental. It is a great place to stay if you have other activities planned, but want a nice, clean, comfortable home base to come back to at the end of the day. Although getting to Santa Teresa is tough drive (as it seems to be everywhere in Costa Rica..definitely need a 4x4, and be ready to ford some rivers), the trip there is totally worth it.

• Stayed September 2009
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

Red Palm Villas

This place is perfect for relaxing and enjoying the beach. The best part of the RPV is the seclusion that comes with it. Our villa was perfect for the trip we had set up. My husband and I, along with two other friends, stayed here for four nights and we all loved falling asleep in the hammocks with the cool ocean breeze or sitting in a chair on the beach while reading a book.

The villa itself is amazing because it has one open air bed upstairs that allows you to fall asleep to the sound of the ocean, which is literally 30 feet away. It is just tranquil. Also, the kitchen proved to be a great added feature because we went deep sea fishing and our fresh catch was our dinner for the next three nights. The indoor/outdoor shower was really nice as well. Overall, the villa proved to be the perfect complement to our trip.
The staff did an excellent job! Usually they would time it just right and come in to freshen the place up while we were out doing an excursion. Although we missed out on Mike for most of our trip, Guadalupe took charge and managed to take care of any issues. Whatever we needed – excursion reservations, taxis, etc. she helped us with. She recommended Brisas del Mar for dinner the one night we ate out… it was amazing! Our favorite dining out experience for our entire time in Costa Rica!

However, there are a couple of small issues that need to be addressed. When we went it was super humid and ice is a scarce resource. They have two small fridges with a couple of ice trays but that wasn’t enough to really satisfy our desire for ice cold drinks. Not a big deal, but if you can bring a cooler and stock up with ice from the market, it helps with your frosty ice drinks on the beach. Also, since the place is quite airy it leaves the possibility of unwanted house guests. I’m not saying that the place is crawling with insects, not by a long shot, nor are the mosquitoes a concern (very few of us had any insect encounters at all). But, we did bring candles and bug spray, which came in handy by spraying a barrier around the open common living area. I truly believe that this is a common occurrence in all the hotels in the area, so just pack accordingly. We also named our two spiders – freaky and deaky – but they won’t be visiting you… we had to kick them out!

We loved the dogs on the property! Sava was our favorite. She followed me down the beach whenever I went walking by myself. It was built-in security! We were shocked when we went to sit on our patio at night and she was stationed out there waiting for us. We loved that!

Honestly, I search high and low when booking trips. I consider all options and all costs. We looked at my other possible stays when driving or strolling by on the beach. We definitely made the right choice! First, several of the other places are not right on the beach. This place is right on the beach. Second, we split the cost with two couples, which made it more affordable than Flora Blanca. That is right on the beach, but you don’t get your kitchen and outdoor shower! And it was more expensive. Third, cabs are cheap. We needed to get money from the ATM before our departure so we paid 8000 colones (less than $8.00) for the round trip to the bank in Playa Carmen. Great deal! So if you are worried about not being in the heart of Santa Teresa or Mal Pais… don’t. It’s a quick trip into town. (Apparently you can walk in about 30 minutes… but it’s too hot for me.)

Finally, I have to mention excursions! We did everything on our trip – canyoning in Arenal, Hanging Bridges in Arenal, horseback riding in Mal Pais to our hotel, deep sea fishing in Mal Pais, and ziplines. We all loved the excursions! It was a toss-up about which was our favorite. (I preferred the beach time, but that’s just me). That said, we would really recommend asking the RPV to set you up with deep sea fishing, horseback riding and ziplining. They were awesome!

Deep sea fishing was a great way to see the coastline. When we were out, a huge pod of dolphins started following us and playing alongside the boat. It was amazing! There were at least 50 of them and they stayed with us for a while. We only caught two fish, but the guys threw in a couple (probably because they felt bad for us). We ate like kings for the next three nights and cooked everything in our kitchen!

The horseback riding was amazing. My husband and I did it in French Polynesia and it was okay. We were in the jungle and the guide was mean. Our guide was not only super nice and friendly, but we got to gallop the horses on the beach! We went across three beaches from Mal Pais to our hotel in Santa Teresa. Wow.

The zip lines were awesome. The guides were just fantastic! They could not have been any nicer. They even sent us pictures afterwards, since we forgot our camera. The few of the coast from some of the platforms was incredible!

We loved this area and will definitely return! RPV was a fantastic choice for our stay and we are so glad that we were able to enjoy this wonderful place.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
NYC, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

After spending 10 nights at the Red Palm Villas for our honeymoon in July, I owe the owners, Mike & Jess, his staff and his wonderful family an outstanding review. Words can not describe how exceptional and special the villas and property are at RPV. Located just 50 steps from a spectacular beach and covered by the shade of almond trees at the north end of Santa Teresa beach, we can’t imagine a more magical property in the area. If the majestic location is not enough, Mike, Jess and his staff extend world-class hospitality that is never intrusive, but completely dependable, always coming from a place of love and respect of their fortune in sharing their spectacular location with their guests.

A lot of 5 star reviews have been written about RPV here on tripadvisor. I have read them, both pre & post honeymoon. After returning, I find myself a bit conflicted, as I am sure others have. With only 24 reviews out here, 23 of which are 5 star, should I hold back? Maybe water down my review out of my fear of “word getting out” about RPV? Anybody who has stayed here will undoubtedly wish to return. At this stage, it’s still relatively undiscovered. After you meet the owner, hear his story, experience the hospitality, and breathe-in the place, you just know that not sharing it would be wrong. So, I will try to add more detail on RPV, the surrounding area, including the amazing local eateries (we never cooked a meal), add a few links to other helpful sites to set your expectations on the area, and share a bit of our experience.

The Villas
We stayed 6 nights in the Lotus Villa, also called the Honeymoon Villa, and then 4 nights in the Hummingbird Villa. Both are remarkable accomplishments of architecture. For both villas, imagine 2 story, open loft styled, “jungle luxury” beach villas (they are both under the immense almond trees on the property that run down to the beach line, making the villas feel completely secluded, yet also entirely open to the ocean ). They are both located so close to the beach, the waves provide a constant acoustic lullaby. Can’t imagine it? Here are videos of the Honeymoon villa. Doesn’t do it justice, but gives an idea…
Fresh, local floral arrangements are in sight at every turn, as well…even in the outdoor shower. In the Honeymoon villa, a massive, beautiful floral arrangement welcomed us as we looked out over the shower wall taking in perfectly framed, landscape views of the best wave break in the area.

We loved the Honeymoon Villa, but the Hummingbird, the second villa Mike built on the property, is sublime. I can’t describe all the details. Here’s another video with a short night tour of the villa…
Hummingbird became our favorite. At night, especially via candle-light with the superbly designed lighting dimmed, the details and character of the place explode to life.

Both Villas have an open air bedroom on the second floor and an enclosed bedroom with AC. If you don’t like the warm, open air and dark nights with waves crashing in the background, the enclosed rooms provide reprieve from the elements. Having both options is great.

Red Palm Villas is in a Category of its own – This is not a B&B
I almost missed discovering RPV on tripadvisor. This is not a B&B as you would traditionally define a B&B, especially in the USA. It’s mis-classified. Since the property does not have a 24 hour reception or restaurant, tripadvisor categorizes it as a B&B. It’s really in a category of its own, but may be best described as specialty, luxury lodging. It is completely unique. Don’t let the category fool you. It’s so private and in such a spectacular location, it becomes easy to understand why it’s a hit with the celebrity set that discovered the Santa Teresa and Mal Pais area, including RPV.

Surfing & Tide Pools

Red Palm Villas is located directly in front of one of the best surfing spots in Santa Teresa. Rocky reef does lie directly in front of the property, although it ends just steps south of the property. Santa Teresa is a more intermediate to advanced surf break with strong waves. About a 15 minute walk south of RPV, the waves at Santa Teresa are slightly calmer and free of large rocks/reef. The waves directly in front of RPV break on an outer reef, making this peak one for experts, especially on the double over-head bombs that were rolling in our first few days there. No worries, though…grab your morning coffee and step down to the beach to lounge in the chairs and watch the experts ride. Better yet, at low-tide, skip the chair, walk to the exposed rocks, find yourself one of many tide pools, have a seat in the warm waters (80 degrees+) and watch the surfers from there. The tide pools were our favorite spot at sunset, as well. They are perfectly located for a great view of the sunset and right in front of RPV.

Playa Hermosa is a great beginner beach break. No rocks, soft sand bottom. Good as high-tide goes out. At high tide, the water does come all the way up to the tree line, where a lot of debris gathers. So the beach may look “dirty” the first time you see it. Also, leave your valuables at home. At low-tide, the beach appears endless and deserted. This is a great learning beach and definitely feels very isolated as little development is continuing in Playa Hermosa, which is a 5 minute drive from RPV.

Playa Carmen is in between Playa Hermosa and Santa Teresa in terms of wave strength and a bit more crowded as it is close to the main intersection where the road to Mal Pais and Santa Teresa meet in town near the recently built “mini-mall” with the pharmacy.

Overall, Santa Teresa is a surfing town. Although you have the canopy tours, beach horseback riding, ATV tours, fishing, etc, it’s the warm water, excellent waves and beautiful beaches that has brought in the international wave riders. Thanks to that, culinary influences managed to follow making this far more than just a dusty town, wave riding destination.

Amazing Culinary Influences
Although both Villas are equipped with kitchens, neither my wife nor I wanted to cook during our honeymoon. We’re New Yorkers, living in Manhattan, lucky to have some of the best dining surrounding us. This is our second trip to Costa Rica (first to Nosara in ‘July, ’07). We find ourselves happily impressed by the cosmopolitan influences, variety and high caliber of cuisine in Costa Rica. In fact, so many of our memories return to surprising flavors of so many unexpectedly romantic meals, from fresh sushi, grilled locally caught snapper, Argentinian grilled pork shoulder, steak or Ahi tuna, Israeli Falafel, to great coffee and banana bread French toast for breakfast with a bowl of fresh fruit, including the sweetest bananas (no kidding, CR bananas are ridiculous), pineapple, papaya, and watermelon with fresh mint. . Culinary influences from Germany, France, Costa Rica, Argentina, Japan and Israel cover just the meals we remember.

At RPV, you can arrange for a local chef to come in to prepare dinner in your villa. We didn’t do this, as we chose to explore the local spots. Mike and Jess offer many excellent recommendations for food. My surf instructor (Mark from Kina Surf Shop—great guy who improved my surfing big time), also gave us some great recommendations. I will list our favorite spots below, but I will try to add each into tripadvisor so others can review, as well, over time.

Just up the beach from RPV…
Milarepa. Fairly priced, excellent cuisine. Fish tacos are excellent and they serve great French-press coffee to start the morning. Milarepa have villas and an infinity pool, but their restaurant is really the best part of the property. We went for breakfast and lunch, but didn’t try them for dinner. They also had an excellent barbecue on Sunday afternoon. The mango trees aside the restaurant are the feeding ground of a group of howler monkeys that are fun to watch, as well. Depending time of year, you may need to call first for dinner, as they close if they do not have dinner reservations.
Florblanca (Nectar) is just two properties over from Red Palm Villas. Florblanca is the only full service luxury resort in town. It is very nice and the food is excellent. Although, I will say, Red Palm Villas is a far better location on the beach. You can not swim, or surf, at the beach in front of Florblanca. The resort is small, but does offer yoga and pilates classes with master yogis in an open air studio overlooking the ocean. They also just opened the Bambu Spa. The spa is pretty spectacular, especially at dusk. We splurged on the couples massage. Highly recommended. We loved Florblanca’s restaurant and ate many meals there, happy to return each time as the food was consistently excellent. It’s on-par with mid-priced Manhattan restaurants, making it the priciest in the area, but it is excellent, consistent and romantic. Cuban cigars, fine liquors and great mixed dinks are also available in a very chill resort environment.
In Santa Teresa…
Tres – German operated, exploring raw food creations and beyond. Great fresh juices, smoothies & shakes. Their cold soups are amazing (had the beet soup and the cucumber & celery with fennel). Patrick and his girlfriend, currently operating the restaurant, are very cool and serve food with a lot of love. Try his onion bread (it’s dehydrated and uncooked). Great creations. This became our favorite spot for lunch.
Brisas del Mar – Quite popular for it’s American size portions of seafood, steaks, chicken and vegetarian dishes. Food is very good, along with individual pitchers of sweeet mixed drinks, like the Watermelon Coco Loco. All served up in a small, cozy, & chill Chinese-lantern-lit dining area under the open-air thatch hut.
Ukikyro-Excellent sushi and Japanese fusion food from the former chef at Florblanca. Red snapper sashimi with a fresh lime & mint sauce made us recall Nobu (yes, no kidding). Surf & Turf roll was amazing.
Alma-Argentianian, with great fish and meat and red wines. Liked it a lot, although desert is not their specialty.
Las Piedras – Argentinian grill. Pork ribs, steak, chicken all done parilla style. Argentinians take their meat very seriously, we were happy to discover. It shows here. Although, the Thursday night we went, the meat was overdone and a bit dried out. Flavors were right on, though.
Kika-Argentinian operated. Local spot with great energy and two cool guys running it. The food and red wines were delicious and the guys operating the restaurant recently built a stage where they can grab their guitars & bass, have friends set up drums and play music and keep the drinks flowing after dinner on the outside patio.
Vista del Mar-Down the road in Mal Pais, and up a steep climb, you find Vista del Mar, where an infinity pool is positioned perfectly to overlook the coastline of beaches for an other-worldly sunset experience. The pool bar serves drinks while you savor the brilliant sunset. They also offer a parilla-style grill, but you buy your food and cook it yourself. We stayed for drinks, then went to Las Piedras where they grilled the meats for you.
Soda Roca Mar-We ate here our first night upon arriving. It is just south of RPV right on the beach. There are many small café styled restaurants offering low price, quality food. They’re called “sodas.” Soda Roca Mar seems geared toward the surfing set to grab a big, simple meal and drink after a big day battling waves. Fare is pretty good, with large portions at low cost. They make a good mojito, as well.

What You Need to Know about the Area
While searching youtube for Mal Pais/Santa Teresa after our honeymoon, I found this video from an expat couple in Costa Rica. Thee guys have a lot of info on Costa Rica and give their spin on the Santa Teresa/Mal Pais area in this short video. So, I will let them tell you more about the area…

Mosquito repellent is a must, esp. if mosquitoes like you. They like my wife and me. Shady spots, esp. under tables in the morning, or evening, are feeding grounds, so cover below the waist, particularly. Sleeping in open air does require spraying down before going to bed, else you awaken a large, itching, red welt. This is Costa Rica and you are essentially in the jungle on the coastline. During the rainy season, which we caught at the front end in July, we understand the mosquitoes are more prevalent.

Water is a precious commodity and RPV is an eco-friendly property. All used toilet paper goes in the garbage. Some may not like this. However, if you manage your own septic tank, you can appreciate this position.

Petty theft does occur in Central America. Leave valuables back in the villa safe. Our first day, we ventured to Playa Hermosa, bringing two books, towels and a Frisbee in a cheap tote. My wife had our camera, taking some shots while I was surfing. She placed the camera in the tote and walked to the surf to cool down. She turned around to see a local sprinting down the beach. He slowed to grab our tote, then lept into the jungle. Fortunately, this happened at the beginning of our trip, rather than the end. More amazingly, Mike called his brother-in-law, Jimmy, who was flying down in two days, with the rest of Mike’s family as they were coming to the property for a yearly family reunion. Mike asked me to send him the model of a camera and he could ask his brother-in-law to stop at Best Buy before flying down. So, without ever talking to Mike about it, I emailed him a camera model recently recommended to me, and he calls Jimmy and leaves a message on his answering machine explaining our situation and leaves our camera model details. A day later, Jimmy shows up with his wife, Mike’s Mom, brother, wife and niece, and the camera, exact model, that Jimmy picked up at Best Buy, last minute, before flying down from the States. Amazing. So, all shots come courtesy of Jimmy, via the support of a quick-thinking, and incredibly hospitable, Mike. Jim, thanks again, man…you preserved the memories of our honeymoon.

We could not more highly recommend Red Palm Villas. If you have even a morsel of adventurism in your blood, you like the beach, love good food, want to turn off the outside world and escape to paradise, Mike has created the place you need to be.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
New Jersy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

The Red Palm was our first stop on our trip to Costa Rica. It was where we got married and the experience was absolutely perfect. We stayed in the Honeymoon Villa which was designed and built to perfection. Every detail was well thought out, not to mention it's about 50' from the beautiful beach.
Mike, the owner, and his staff were fantastic. Anything we needed, they took care of. Mike and his team made arrangements for an attorney to marry us, a professional photographer to capture the special day, someone to do my hair and created a special place on the beach for the ceremony to take place. At night a personal chef came to our villa and cooked us an amazing dinner.
They also made arrangements for us to rent ATV's one day and for a boat trip to Tortuga Island for some snorkeling. Both were great, although the water was not ideal for snorkeling.
This was a trip we will never forget. I would go back to The Red Palm in a heart beat!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Red Palm Villas? Share your experiences!