“Exceptional Stay at Red Palm Villas” 5 of 5 stars

The Red Palm Villas
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Santa Teresa main road, Santa Teresa 90248, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Laval, Canada
“Exceptional Stay at Red Palm Villas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

An amazing first visit to Costa Rica and we aced it with our wonderful stay at Red Palm Villas. Mike (owner) went out of his way to have everything prepared for our stay, even upgrading us without our asking! The staff on site, Sandrina, Lucrecia, Andy as well as the cleaning staff, security (Hamon) were all amazing and helpful. The office staff guided us by helping us plan our 9 day stay strategically (ziplining, snorkelling, visiting national park) so we could get the best out of the time we were there yet had time left over to relax and enjoy the gorgeous, pristine beach of Santa Teresa. The grounds are meticulously kept, the Harmony Garden Villa was just simply perfect for us. We had a lovely kitchen to cook a few great meals (with fresh fish from the local market), a living room surrounded by glass, a lovely bedroom and outside shower! Everything was perfect! We also had some social visits from Mike's sweet dogs who never hesitated to welcome us home in the evenings :) (along with Julio, the orange tabby). This was an exotic home away from home. We felt very safe even late at night (thanks security team) while glimpsing the Milky Way on the beach. I could go on but I do suggest you see and experience this all for yourself!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

My wife & I spent 5 days in the Hummingbird Villa for our 1-year anniversary and loved this place. We had a little trouble with Sansa canceling our flight to Tambur, but after 6 hours with a crazy driver, they had champagne on ice for us and recommendations for dinner since it was so late.

The villa was perfect for what we were looking for on this trip. It had a small, but comfortable air conditioned room with a king size bed. From there, everything was open to the surrounding lush landscape. The kitchen, bathroom, sitting areas & accompanying views were excellent. I especially appreciated the wonderful craftsmanship & use of local trees for the villa's construction. It was really cool to study the details that were used to make this place so beautiful. We made friends with a few local iguana and of course the dogs and cat. The ladies up front were very helpful and the cleaning crew did an excellent job every day. I really have no complaints whatsoever about the staff. The breakfast was next store at FlorBlanco and you could definitely feel the difference from their service and the excellent crew at Red Palms. Sandrina and Eucretia (sorry if I misspelled) made us feel at home and was very appreciated.

If you want this sort of rustic, yet luxurious experience right on the beach, this is the place. If you want a typical resort with a pool, bar, etc., try something else.

We can't say enough great things about this place and it's people.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My boyfriend and had an amazing time. our first impression was that the room seemed a tad... well rustic...(We stayed in smaller one bedroom villa) but we quickly got past that and our stay was truly amazing. First, although "rustic" they are CLEAN. The ladies that clean the rooms Really scrub and get in every corner and crevice, and the room did have everything we needed. We cooked dinner one night and lunch a few times. Even though kitchen area is open to the outside, there are surprisingly very few bugs. We only saw one small bug in the kitchen area the entire 6 days we were there.

The grounds are very pretty with great views of the ocean, and the location cannot be beat. When u walk out onto the beach a quick left and u have waves and a place to surf...a quick right and u have these amazing tide pools (during lower tides) where u can lounge and observe beautiful fish that swim in the various pools amongst the rocks. Just use caution the rocks can get a tad slippery. I found the location to be absolutely perfect. Far enough away from noise of busier part town put def within walking distance. There are a number of nice restaurants that u can walk to or take a 5 minute drive.

Staff was very helpful. Sandrina was fantastic with providing us directions since we drove from Arenal Volcano. There are also security guards at night making the place nice and safe.

If you are an animal lover it's a bonus. There are 3 doggies and a cat (i named him refrigerator kitty -cause he will literally jump into the fridge if given the chance). But if u are not a animal lover no worries they will gladly leave u alone if they feel unwanted.

I cannot wait to return!

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

well another incredible time here ! some changes and just incredible

not much to add other then if your looking for the best in costa Rica, red palm villas, is your only choice!!

romantic, top of the line here for every thing and sits on the beach literally.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2015

I stayed here in May of 2014 and it is truly a great location. On the beach and the rooms are laid out in different areas of the property so you are not on top of each other. It is really well done and the rooms are so different from each other. I loved the way it is designed. Easy access to the main street in town, we chose to rent ATV's for a week and it was well worth the money. It made life so easy having them and we cruised everywhere. The staff was great and as helpful as could be. There were crabs everywhere and lizards and monkeys all round. This is truly a great property in an awesome location.

Room Tip: No bad rooms or locations
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2015

I don't even know where to begin with my review of this wonderful piece of heaven on earth. My husband Holden and I were married here in July 2014. We fell in love with RPV from the photos on the website, and our experience only got better from there.

As soon as we reached out to Mike and mentioned that we were thinking about getting married at RPV, he was extremely responsive and provided detailed answers to all of my (numerous) questions. Once the reservations were made, Mike turned me over to Lucrecia for the fun part, planning! There are not enough words in the world to describe this incredibly talented, kind, and wonderful woman! I just adore her.

We had about 25 guests and over the period of several months, Lucrecia guided me through every last detail. She helped us secure another resort, Villas Santa Teresa, for the guests who would not fit at RPV's five villas. She planned our entire reception, which was held at RocaMar Beach Lounge, and of course our entire breathtakingly beautiful ceremony. She was incredibly helpful in helping me to identify a photographer, bakery, violin player, videographer, DJ and all of the other wonderful people who made our day so incredibly unforgettable for us and our guests. All of Lucrecia's recommendations were spot-on, and she totally understood the vibe I was going for.

She also helped us coordinate all of the travel arrangements for all 25 of our guests. We had people arriving by boat, car, plane, etc., and she kept track of everything down to the last minute detail. She is incredibly talented in that regard. If you are planning a trip to this part of Costa Rica, you probably have already learned that it isn't exactly easy to get there. That aspect of the trip was pretty overwhelming for me since there are not really addresses or road signs and I am not a Spanish speaker. Lu coordinated everything for us and even though the trip was long, it was a breeze because of her excellent planning. All of our guests appreciated her help.

Once we arrived, Lu and Sandrina met us at the entrance to the resort, and pretty much took care of us 100% from there for the rest of our stay. They showed us to our villa, The Honeymoon Villa, which was one of the most beautiful and unique places I have ever stayed in. The photos really don't do it justice, you must see it in person! The patio and bathroom were my definite favorite parts. Since our guests were using all 5 of the villas, we got to see each of them. They are all unique and beautiful in their own way, and you really can't go wrong when choosing a villa at RPV. The grounds at RPV are just as beautiful as the villas themselves, and I couldn't really have known how beautiful it would be until we got there.

We stayed a total of 5 nights, and our wedding was on the third day. Lu and Sandrina were there the entire week, along with the dogs Cisco, Ceiba and Tequila and the kitty Julio. Between Lu, Sandrina, the wonderful animals, and all of our family and friends it felt like a week-long party in paradise and I couldn't imagine a more fun vacation. Any time we needed directions, a restaurant recommendation, or really anything at all, Lu and Sandrina were there to provide the highest level of service. They both have such wonderful easygoing, "pura vida" personalities that it honestly felt like the two of them were just as much of a part of the group as the rest of us.

The day of the wedding was truly a dream come true. We awoke to a sparkling sun and crashing waves with a crew constructing our gorgeous wedding trellis. We had a relaxing breakfast while Lu, Sandrina and the rest of their helpers bustled around setting everything up. Having had a DIY reception back here at home, I am that much more thankful for the fact that I got to relax all day in paradise and knew that I could trust in them to take care of every single beautiful detail. Lu and Sandrina take so much pride in what they do, and they are both incredibly creative and talented people. They made us so many handmade little details, that just completely perfected our day. This is especially amazing considering that there are very few resources available in the tiny town of Santa Teresa. They worked with what they had and it made everything feel so fresh and authentic. They even made all of the gorgeous flower arrangements from things growing on the RPV property! Talk about local, sustainable, handmade, and wonderful!

I will let my photos tell the rest of this story. All I can tell you is that if you are planning a trip to Santa Teresa, and especially if you are planning a wedding, do NOT miss out on this gorgeous resort and these wonderful people.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2015

My husband and I recently got married at the Red Palm Villas and stayed in the Honeymoon Villa for 5 days. Total luxury and an experience that I wouldn't change one bit. This place is a dream and was deserving for our wedding/honeymoon experience. The property, villa, beach view, sunset, and staff exceeded our expectations.

We are from Atlanta, Georgia and knew we wanted to elope away from home. I was initially a little scared of planning from afar but as soon as I started corresponding with the owner and his staff, I felt completely at ease. They were all very upfront about all the details and were more than willing to help with all of my planning from the moment I started contact through the arrival.

The villa was more amazing in person, in my opinion. My favorite part was the upstairs view and ability to open the huge glass windows to create an almost outdoor experience. We kept the windows open the entire time and heard all of the beach waves and animals. I actually wrote my wedding vows on the sofa facing the beach watching the beautiful sunrise. An amazing experience. I have to mention that the housekeeping did a wonderful job cleaning and made the place look brand new and refreshed every single day. We had a security guard that kept a close watch on our villa every night we were there. He seemed pretty dedicated to making sure no one went near our villa. It's a very private property and I didn't see any random people come from the beach side but still nice to know he was there.

The rest of the staff did a great job and was always available to assist us when we had questions about Santa Teresa, the wedding, things to do, restaurants, etc. Regarding the wedding, they allowed us to choose the day we wanted to marry while staying there. They recommend sunset which makes for very beautiful photos. I would recommend carefully choosing the timing/placement of the trellis. I was squinting the entire ceremony and could hardly look at my groom because the sun was blazing in my eyes. Stupid me! They provided a photographer for our wedding. He actually worked longer than he should have. He provided the photos to us within a few days and I was pleasantly surprised with his work. The dinner was very tasty except we had no napkins or water. They did provide champagne which was technically not supposed to be included. Also, they decorated our outdoor seating beautifully. I was very pleased with a bonfire they lit just for us. I didn't expect this and we got some amazing pictures out of it. During the ceremony, one of the dogs on the property came out of no where and stood in front of us barking for a long time non-stop. One of the staff members took him away but he came back again and did the same. She finally took him away from the ceremony for good. It was actually quite funny looking back in the video but did put a pause on the ceremony. I doubt this has ever happened before or will happen in the future.

Regarding Santa Teresa, the town has a vibe I haven't really experienced before. After getting off the ferry, you realize the next hour and a half drive to Santa Teresa is all gravel roads with huge potholes. Shocking at first, but then it just becomes part of the journey and delight. You do have to be more careful and drive slower but the drive is very beautiful and scenic. The roads continue into Santa Teresa and you will see most people get around with ATVs and wear a bandana covering their mouths because it gets pretty dusty. The town is known for surfing so expect a lot of this going on and a laid back blended cultural vibe. Lots of folks from all over the world coming here. You have a lot of different and well-prepared options for food. The food in this town was probably the best I've had. Not sure I can order Mahi-Mahi from local restaurants in Atlanta anymore. Also, everything is more reasonably priced there.

Hopefully, my husband and I can make our way back to Red Palms to celebrate our future anniversary one day. I am looking forward to visiting again and experiencing paradise all over again! Thanks for an amazing experience!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to The Red Palm Villas? Share your experiences!