“Awesome, exotic, well kept, friendly, EPIC!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Red Palm Villas

We can't find prices for this hotel
The Red Palm Villas
Santa Teresa main road, Santa Teresa 90248, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #16 of 25 hotels in Santa Teresa
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Awesome, exotic, well kept, friendly, EPIC!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

The staff, locals, villa, views, animals were all amazing. You are 30 yards from the beach and those 30 yards consist of kept walkways, exotic plants and trees, animals, and hammocks. Well worth the money and absolutely beautiful place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

189 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Evergreen, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We spent two weeks at the Red Palm Villas and had a great time. The villas are right on a beautiful beach and also provide peace and privacy. The staff is amazing and will do everything to help you and make your stay memorable. The yoga teacher, Cris is one of the best teachers and people you will ever meet. I would recommend that you rent a small jeep to get around and see the many great restaurants and sites to see. Play Heromossa a a great place to swim with kids as the waves are very gentle there and the water is shallow. The Italian restaurant down the road is great as is Nautilus. Definitely take the wildlife tour and sea kayak trip and hike to the waterfalls at Montzouma. The second falls hike is not for those with a fear of hieghts though and is a bit of a scramble. Red Palm is everything it advertizes. We will defnitely be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed at red palms in the big house and loved it. Sooo remote in a good way. Lots of privacy. The surf is right out front, cool tide pools on low tide, the accommodations are superior and truly one-of-a-kind. The staff arranged rental 4 wheel atvs for us and we rode through the jungle, through creeks and across the beach to montezuma waterfall which was spectacular. Monkeys swinging in the trees, macaws flying overhead....we can't wait to stay at red palms again.

Room Tip: Stay in the big house if you can afford it. Also the staff found us a private cook to prepare meals...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Montevideo, Uruguay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Pura vida!
Once again a bunch of friends have gathered together to spend one week at this amazing place located right in front of Suck Rock beach.
The suites are super comfortable and all we had to do was walk 50 meters to get great surf. All the rest was arranged for us! Thanks Ruth, Lucrecia and Mike for hosting us once more. I wish we could do this every year!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dedham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

When my now husband and I were looking for a place to have our tropical dream wedding, we had Costa Rica in mind. People were talking about how beautiful it was there and we decided to start investigating. When I saw the Red Palm Villas I immediately said "That's the place". Being a little wary about not being able to go and see the place myself like you would a local venue, I depended 100% on reviews by past guests. I spent a months reading every single review. Every one was the same "Five stars, paradise, best vacation." Let me tell you YES!!! The Red Palm Villas was exactly how the top reviews have described it!!! Every picture you see on their website is EXACTLY how it really looks!! Mike, the owner, and his staff, were unbelievably helpful in communicating with me the entire time. Every question I had was answered by email within a day. The whole planning process from start to finish was with ease. I have to say, the women that work there are the best!!!! RUTH, LU, and SANDRINA were amazing!!! They treated us like family and were so friendly. They greeted us with hugs and smiles upon arrival and throughout the entire stay. Even on my wedding day they stopped by with hugs and congrats!! They make you feel comfortable and they are so thoughtful. We arrived on my mother's birthday and they had decorated her villa and had a card and a cake waiting for her. She was so happy!!! Also,The lovely housekeepers kept our villas beautiful and full of fresh tropical flowers!! What a treat to have someone else make the beds for you. Miss them!!
If you're like me and reading the reviews, I'm sure you read all about the two dogs that are part of the Red Palms. They are the best dogs I have ever met!! The greeted you and guarded you the entire stay. They would sleep outside of each of our villas at night,guarding the doors, and in the morning greeted us on the beach. They are like your own personal security guards!! They are extremely well behaved and know they stay outside. We never had an issue with them coming inside the villa or bothering us while we eat. They know their place and were an absolute positive part of our stay! The Red Palm Villas also have their own security that patrols the grounds at night, which is great because the villas are accessible from the beach.
We stayed in the Honeymoon Villa and the family stayed in the Hummingbird Villa. They are the two larger villas that ,YES, are on the beach. They were amazing!!! We have never stayed in such a beautiful place!! The way they are designed and decorated were fabulous. We spent a couple of hours just looking around and saying "WOW". The AC bedrooms, which each villa has, was great. It was warm at night so to have that option really helped. I loved the upstairs open air bedroom where I listened to the waves crashing and the birds and monkey in the morning!! The beds are super comfy! We had some great sleep.
The best way to get around is definitely by an ATV. Renting one was so easy. They literally deliver it to your villa!!! You stop by the office, they make the call and the ATVs were there in an hour sometimes minutes!!! The restaurants were amazing as well. There are lots of choices and all different cuisines to chose from. Habaneros was one of our favorites!!! A perfect beach atmosphere and fantastic food and margaritas!! CHEF GARY came out to meet us and brought over the fresh fish of the night right to our table and described how it was prepared and fixed us a great dessert as well. He is very passionate about what he does and he does it great!!!! When staying at the Red Palms breakfast is included every morning next door at Milrepa. What a fantastic spot!!! The breakfast was amazing..the fruit was as sweet as candy. There is a wonderful woman who works there. Her name is BIANCA!! We looked forward to seeing her every morning. My daughter was crazy over her frozen lemonade she would make us!!!
Another must is the private jungle tour with EDWIN! AMAZING!! He picks you up in the morning and he is your personal tour guide for the day. He takes you on a tour of the jungle and at the end we cracked coconuts and fresh pineapple and made a delicious cocktails!! Then he took us to Montezuma and we walked around the town, had lunch and some of us went zip lining. SO glad I decided to do it!! Edwin was so friendly and informative. We could take out time and do what we wanted and never felt rushed! He even sat and had breakfast and lunch with us. We learned so much about the area and culture from him. Definitely a must again next year! Also, I recommend the Horseback Riding Tour. The horses come right to the villas and you head out along the beach for two hours. We did ours around sunset. It was fabulous and my mother and daughters loved it!!!!
I could keep writing all day about this perfect place! It was the best vacation EVER. My sunset wedding was everything I wanted!!! It was beautiful. It was better than I ever dreamed it would be!! We hated leaving but we already have plans to return next year!!! This may become a tradition of ours. Love and miss all of the Red Palm Villa Staff. See you next year!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Red Palm Villas is a beautiful boutique resort - truly a paradise that will exceed your expectations (the photos on the website don't do it justice). If you are looking for an alternative to the typical mega-resort, this is the place. I actually chose this place after reading the other rave reviews online, as I was looking for a tropical place to get married that was unique. I wanted an open air place and had considered Thailand, but too expensive/far for the amount of vacation time and money we had. Red Palm is an excellent choice, particularly if you are in the US or Texas as it's not all that far, but still quite an adventure (we took a tiny charter plane that held 4 people and the pilot from San Jose to Tambor) and extremely exotic and romantic.

The Honeymoon suite is exquisite (open air bathroom and open air 2nd level) and all the staff are extremely helpful.Mike, the owner, is also great. He was extremely attentive and responsive to email as I was coordinating getting multiple family members and flights lined up. Booking our AA flights to San Jose was probably the most stressful - once that was done and we had charters/taxis to Red Palm things were easy. I got married here (Mar 23, 2013) and the wedding photos are amazing (which they are posting on the Red Palm Facebook site). If you want a low stress wedding with magical photos, this is the place to go (whether you elope or bring a group).

I highly recommend this location for a wedding, anniversary, or romantic getaway, but families were here too. They have a limited number of units and they are all spread out from one another - tucked away in trees just off the beach. So always plenty of privacy. There is nearby Casa Cecilia (B&B) for other family members that is more affordable, should others be joining you for your wedding and want a more affordable/simple place. Casa Cecilia still has the same amazing beach view and is next door. My inlaws stayed there and loved it. The owner was super nice and cooked breakfast for them daily, even providing snacks for my diabetic father-in-law when he arrived.

Miralepa, the nearby restaurant where you'll have breakfast, is fabulous and there is a pool there you can use. Amazing mint lemonade, bananas foster, amazing fish dishes. Great fruit everywhere too. So many good restaurants nearby as well - and 3 in walking distance.

You walk to the left of Red Palm and have beautiful sandy beach, go the other way and it gets rocky - lovely at sunset when the tide is low (and safe inlets for lounging at low tide, which is perfect for kids or pregnant women or those who don't like the waves). Also great rock/shell collecting (lots of agate, jasper). So remote it is very unspoiled.

A few things to note:
- The honeymoon suite has a full kitchenette and 2 small refrigerators
- You're in the dry rain forest area. There is still plenty of wildlife, but not like the wetter side of Costa Rica (with larger trees/frogs, etc).
- Gorgeous beach known for great surfing, lots of massage, yoga, as well as hiking tours, horseback riding, snorkeling, diving, etc.
- We loved Percy, our hiking/snorkel guide who we had all to ourselves (perfect as I was expecting and inlaws are 70, so we could set our own pace). Horse back riding was also very good, with a single guide for our small group so we could set our own pace and quit whenever tired.
- It is very remote, but caters to tourists - so plenty of English and fabulous restaurants/chefs and wonderful fresh fish. Think simple elegance (great dining in candle light outdoors)... great Italian place, sushi, local food, and more. Wonderful, but Red Palm and many of these restaurants are not "bargain" places (think US prices), though there are cheaper options available if you are wanting a more affordable place. You can do cheap lunches and save for a nice dinner.
- Sleeping may be tough at first if you are a light sleeper - loud ocean sounds at high tide and howler monkeys, things you may not be used to. But the experience of waking up to howler monkeys and wildlife is so worth it!
- Feb/Mar are quite warm and humid, something to note if you are not used to this type of weather. The sun rose very early (5:30am) and set early (6pm). Weather was great early in the morning and then cools off after 4pm. So in the middle of the day it is good to be in the water (swimming, snorkeling, surfing) or shade.
- This place is remote so getting to it is not easy. Requires plane ride from San Jose to Tambor, then hour to hour and a half dirt road drive. So even from Dallas, it took us some time to get here. But again, we felt it more than worth it. Having such a remote/unspoiled location that was classy and minus the mega resorts or junk shops you see at cruise ship ports was worth the extra effort.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stunning resort. Owner/builder inspired by local nature and Frank Lloyd Wright. Hummingbird Villa is EXACTLY 75 steps to beach; daytime left and right perfect wave breaks; nighttime - one of Earth's best views of Milky Way. The staff, from owner, Mike to day staff to night security staff better than anywhere I've ever stayed. Best night's sleep I've ever had at a resort destination. Waking up to hummingbirds dancing around me was God Send. Monkeys at night are pretty funny.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to The Red Palm Villas? Share your experiences!