“Perfect Place. Perfect Wedding!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Red Palm Villas

We can't find prices for this hotel
The Red Palm Villas
Santa Teresa main road, Santa Teresa 90248, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #16 of 25 hotels in Santa Teresa
Dedham, Massachusetts
“Perfect Place. Perfect Wedding!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

When my now husband and I were looking for a place to have our tropical dream wedding, we had Costa Rica in mind. People were talking about how beautiful it was there and we decided to start investigating. When I saw the Red Palm Villas I immediately said "That's the place". Being a little wary about not being able to go and see the place myself like you would a local venue, I depended 100% on reviews by past guests. I spent a months reading every single review. Every one was the same "Five stars, paradise, best vacation." Let me tell you YES!!! The Red Palm Villas was exactly how the top reviews have described it!!! Every picture you see on their website is EXACTLY how it really looks!! Mike, the owner, and his staff, were unbelievably helpful in communicating with me the entire time. Every question I had was answered by email within a day. The whole planning process from start to finish was with ease. I have to say, the women that work there are the best!!!! RUTH, LU, and SANDRINA were amazing!!! They treated us like family and were so friendly. They greeted us with hugs and smiles upon arrival and throughout the entire stay. Even on my wedding day they stopped by with hugs and congrats!! They make you feel comfortable and they are so thoughtful. We arrived on my mother's birthday and they had decorated her villa and had a card and a cake waiting for her. She was so happy!!! Also,The lovely housekeepers kept our villas beautiful and full of fresh tropical flowers!! What a treat to have someone else make the beds for you. Miss them!!
If you're like me and reading the reviews, I'm sure you read all about the two dogs that are part of the Red Palms. They are the best dogs I have ever met!! The greeted you and guarded you the entire stay. They would sleep outside of each of our villas at night,guarding the doors, and in the morning greeted us on the beach. They are like your own personal security guards!! They are extremely well behaved and know they stay outside. We never had an issue with them coming inside the villa or bothering us while we eat. They know their place and were an absolute positive part of our stay! The Red Palm Villas also have their own security that patrols the grounds at night, which is great because the villas are accessible from the beach.
We stayed in the Honeymoon Villa and the family stayed in the Hummingbird Villa. They are the two larger villas that ,YES, are on the beach. They were amazing!!! We have never stayed in such a beautiful place!! The way they are designed and decorated were fabulous. We spent a couple of hours just looking around and saying "WOW". The AC bedrooms, which each villa has, was great. It was warm at night so to have that option really helped. I loved the upstairs open air bedroom where I listened to the waves crashing and the birds and monkey in the morning!! The beds are super comfy! We had some great sleep.
The best way to get around is definitely by an ATV. Renting one was so easy. They literally deliver it to your villa!!! You stop by the office, they make the call and the ATVs were there in an hour sometimes minutes!!! The restaurants were amazing as well. There are lots of choices and all different cuisines to chose from. Habaneros was one of our favorites!!! A perfect beach atmosphere and fantastic food and margaritas!! CHEF GARY came out to meet us and brought over the fresh fish of the night right to our table and described how it was prepared and fixed us a great dessert as well. He is very passionate about what he does and he does it great!!!! When staying at the Red Palms breakfast is included every morning next door at Milrepa. What a fantastic spot!!! The breakfast was amazing..the fruit was as sweet as candy. There is a wonderful woman who works there. Her name is BIANCA!! We looked forward to seeing her every morning. My daughter was crazy over her frozen lemonade she would make us!!!
Another must is the private jungle tour with EDWIN! AMAZING!! He picks you up in the morning and he is your personal tour guide for the day. He takes you on a tour of the jungle and at the end we cracked coconuts and fresh pineapple and made a delicious cocktails!! Then he took us to Montezuma and we walked around the town, had lunch and some of us went zip lining. SO glad I decided to do it!! Edwin was so friendly and informative. We could take out time and do what we wanted and never felt rushed! He even sat and had breakfast and lunch with us. We learned so much about the area and culture from him. Definitely a must again next year! Also, I recommend the Horseback Riding Tour. The horses come right to the villas and you head out along the beach for two hours. We did ours around sunset. It was fabulous and my mother and daughters loved it!!!!
I could keep writing all day about this perfect place! It was the best vacation EVER. My sunset wedding was everything I wanted!!! It was beautiful. It was better than I ever dreamed it would be!! We hated leaving but we already have plans to return next year!!! This may become a tradition of ours. Love and miss all of the Red Palm Villa Staff. See you next year!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

189 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Red Palm Villas is a beautiful boutique resort - truly a paradise that will exceed your expectations (the photos on the website don't do it justice). If you are looking for an alternative to the typical mega-resort, this is the place. I actually chose this place after reading the other rave reviews online, as I was looking for a tropical place to get married that was unique. I wanted an open air place and had considered Thailand, but too expensive/far for the amount of vacation time and money we had. Red Palm is an excellent choice, particularly if you are in the US or Texas as it's not all that far, but still quite an adventure (we took a tiny charter plane that held 4 people and the pilot from San Jose to Tambor) and extremely exotic and romantic.

The Honeymoon suite is exquisite (open air bathroom and open air 2nd level) and all the staff are extremely helpful.Mike, the owner, is also great. He was extremely attentive and responsive to email as I was coordinating getting multiple family members and flights lined up. Booking our AA flights to San Jose was probably the most stressful - once that was done and we had charters/taxis to Red Palm things were easy. I got married here (Mar 23, 2013) and the wedding photos are amazing (which they are posting on the Red Palm Facebook site). If you want a low stress wedding with magical photos, this is the place to go (whether you elope or bring a group).

I highly recommend this location for a wedding, anniversary, or romantic getaway, but families were here too. They have a limited number of units and they are all spread out from one another - tucked away in trees just off the beach. So always plenty of privacy. There is nearby Casa Cecilia (B&B) for other family members that is more affordable, should others be joining you for your wedding and want a more affordable/simple place. Casa Cecilia still has the same amazing beach view and is next door. My inlaws stayed there and loved it. The owner was super nice and cooked breakfast for them daily, even providing snacks for my diabetic father-in-law when he arrived.

Miralepa, the nearby restaurant where you'll have breakfast, is fabulous and there is a pool there you can use. Amazing mint lemonade, bananas foster, amazing fish dishes. Great fruit everywhere too. So many good restaurants nearby as well - and 3 in walking distance.

You walk to the left of Red Palm and have beautiful sandy beach, go the other way and it gets rocky - lovely at sunset when the tide is low (and safe inlets for lounging at low tide, which is perfect for kids or pregnant women or those who don't like the waves). Also great rock/shell collecting (lots of agate, jasper). So remote it is very unspoiled.

A few things to note:
- The honeymoon suite has a full kitchenette and 2 small refrigerators
- You're in the dry rain forest area. There is still plenty of wildlife, but not like the wetter side of Costa Rica (with larger trees/frogs, etc).
- Gorgeous beach known for great surfing, lots of massage, yoga, as well as hiking tours, horseback riding, snorkeling, diving, etc.
- We loved Percy, our hiking/snorkel guide who we had all to ourselves (perfect as I was expecting and inlaws are 70, so we could set our own pace). Horse back riding was also very good, with a single guide for our small group so we could set our own pace and quit whenever tired.
- It is very remote, but caters to tourists - so plenty of English and fabulous restaurants/chefs and wonderful fresh fish. Think simple elegance (great dining in candle light outdoors)... great Italian place, sushi, local food, and more. Wonderful, but Red Palm and many of these restaurants are not "bargain" places (think US prices), though there are cheaper options available if you are wanting a more affordable place. You can do cheap lunches and save for a nice dinner.
- Sleeping may be tough at first if you are a light sleeper - loud ocean sounds at high tide and howler monkeys, things you may not be used to. But the experience of waking up to howler monkeys and wildlife is so worth it!
- Feb/Mar are quite warm and humid, something to note if you are not used to this type of weather. The sun rose very early (5:30am) and set early (6pm). Weather was great early in the morning and then cools off after 4pm. So in the middle of the day it is good to be in the water (swimming, snorkeling, surfing) or shade.
- This place is remote so getting to it is not easy. Requires plane ride from San Jose to Tambor, then hour to hour and a half dirt road drive. So even from Dallas, it took us some time to get here. But again, we felt it more than worth it. Having such a remote/unspoiled location that was classy and minus the mega resorts or junk shops you see at cruise ship ports was worth the extra effort.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stunning resort. Owner/builder inspired by local nature and Frank Lloyd Wright. Hummingbird Villa is EXACTLY 75 steps to beach; daytime left and right perfect wave breaks; nighttime - one of Earth's best views of Milky Way. The staff, from owner, Mike to day staff to night security staff better than anywhere I've ever stayed. Best night's sleep I've ever had at a resort destination. Waking up to hummingbirds dancing around me was God Send. Monkeys at night are pretty funny.

• Stayed October 2012
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I cannot recommend mike, the staff, and the villas, and overall the resort. I cannot emphasize the richness of the environment. You cannot appreciate the beaches, and the fact the villas are ON THE BEACHES. Pictures don't do justice. It's just miles and miles of beautiful beaches, how can we do justice to it by talking or trying to take one snapshot of something so vast. This is the place to go for your special moment.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

From the moment I arrived at the Red Palm Villas I was greeted by the most friendly staff I have ever met at a resort. I luckily found the RPV only 3 weeks prior to my vacation which probably was on one of the busiest, Easter week. The next day after talking to Mike I was on the phone with his staff making arrangements for my trip. I told them what I wanted to do and they did the rest. They arranged my short flight from San Jose and everyone of my excursions. We fished for sailfish and caught. Saw hundreds of monkeys right over the villas and toured Curu Reserve where we kayaked to an amazing private beach. We ziplined over waterfalls and rode ATV's on the beach where people dont go. They arranged a massage for my wife on short notice right on the beach. When I arrived, they had my itinerary printed out for me. They know the best suppliers of tour guides and rentals for anything you want to do. The villas are beautiful and clean. Each one was very different. I should know because during my one week I stayed in 4 of them. They all have their own personality and are just steps away from a beautiful beach. The area has great local food and everyone is friendly in town. As a surgeon, I usually don't have or spend much time writing reviews like this but this resort was worth my time. Oh, I forgot about two residents that live at the villas. Ceiba and Cisco. They are the most friendly and fun dogs. Each morning they would greet you and escort you to breakfast or take you to dinner. It's like they knew who was staying there. They were great.

• Stayed March 2013
Portland, OR USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Red Palm richly deserves all of the glowing 5 star reviews. I'll spare repeating what everyone else has said about the luxury, fresh flowers and excellent service. Instead I'll give you some ideas and tips to consider as you research your stay at Red Palm.
We stayed in the Honeymoon Villa. Gorgeous. Amazing bathroom/shower with open air and views of the beach while you shower. Nice AC in the main bedroom.
The small kitchen is workable. We bought fresh fish from the dockside market at Mal Pais and cooked at the Villa. You may want to check ahead somehow to make sure there's some filets available. Both days we drove over there we found fresh fish.
We rented a 4 wheel drive from Alamo. The Red Palm people booked this for us. Alamo was terrific. You NEED 4 WHEEL DRIVE in this part of the country, especially if you drive to Montezuma, Blanco or Curu.
The front desk set up a one day tour to Curu Wildlife Refuge. This was a fun, full day. Saw loads of monkeys and took a boat ride out to Tortuga Island. The snorkeling was a bust due to cloudy water conditions.
Red Palm is really about surfing and hanging on the amazing, miles long beach in front of the place. The best breaks are about 100 yards from the Honeymoon Villa. Yes, you can do day tours to Curu and Montezuma..... But the roads are very rough so you won't want to be on the move all the time.
We also walked the Montezuma waterfall trail. We are very fit hikers.... Getting to the first falls is easy. And you DO NOT need a guide to walk this trail despite what the tout at the parking said. We did not go up to the 2nd falls... Looked a little risky compared to the reward.
We're glad we went to Curu instead of Blanco. Curu has wonderful beaches -- and sea kayaking. You can seak kayak about 30 minutes to your own private small beach. And the $10 entrance fee seems to keep it all manageable and keeps the crowds down. Again, lots of monkeys.
Smart, efficient staff. Gorgeous setting. Top of the line all the way. Excellent breakfast next door at Milarepa.
Other considerations.... It can get hot to during the day here. Some dogs barking at night (ear plugs as an option) and this place is fairly remote. It's a surfers paradise. Or just bring a good ok or two and relax in the many hammocks provided.
And.... Visit the surf bar called Roca Mar almost next door to Red Palm. Mojitos right on the beach. We ate dinner at Brisas Del Mar. Excellent but hard to drive to, it's up a very steep road which requires 4 wheel drive. We enjoyed our tour guide to Curu... Percy. Ask for him if you need surf lessons or Curu tour day.
Thanks again to the Red Palm crew. We will be back.

Room Tip: Tough to choose between honeymoon and hummingbird. Both are right on the beach.
Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We searched for months to find the perfect honeymoon getaway and we found it. Our criteria for such a place was very particular. First and foremost we wanted something off the "beaten path". We did not want to be bothered by a bunch of people and were not looking for the whole all inclusive resort type deal. We were looking for something that we could go off on our own, and have the freedoms to do some exploring. And, did we ever find it. Right from the get go Red Palm Villas sent us a warm email extending their gratitude for choosing RPV and gave us lots of useful information as far as travel connections, time involved, transfers, and they set up our regional transportation from San Jose to Tambor. They also sent us lots of good information about the excursions they offered and what all was around us to keep us busy for our week. Upon arrival in San Jose we were met by a very friendly associate of the regional airline that took us to Tambor. He picked us up and dropped us by the supermarket for water, wine, and all the necessities we would want before we got out to the coast. After a quick 40 min flight out to Tambor we were greeted by our transportation that took us the rest of the way to RPV. When we arrived we were amazed by our beautiful grounds and beach that was just beyond the tree line. We were promptly greeted by Josefina who showed us to the "Humminbird Villa". They had a nice bottle of champagne iced down for us and a fresh bowl of tropical fruit. The villa was exactly what we saw on the internet except we could not see the detail from the web. We spent at least an hour admiring the craftsmanship and construction of our tree house-esque villa and loved the open shower with a view of the pacific. The staff at RPV then came by and congratulated us on our marriage and brought us our tickets for the breakfast next door at Mila Repa. The next morning we awoke to the sound of waves crashing on the beach and went over to try our first breakfast. When we returned we were met by Eric who delivered our honda 4wheeler for the week. I highly recommend doing this because there is no better way to tour the Nicoya peninsula then by four wheeler. The RPV staff exceeded all of our expectations and everything that they arranged for us to do was a huge success. We went fishing one day and caught some monster Rooster Fish. Sunset horseback ride with Katiana is hard to pass up. Montezuma zip line and waterfall tour is a must. The surfing out of your back door is head high right to left peelers on a bad day. We could have spent another week in Santa Teresa only wanting to go eat at more local restaurants. I can comfortably say that this is the best place to stay in Santa Teresa solely judging others reactions when we told them where we were staying. At first I was skeptical about not having a restaurant on location but when I found out this was done to keep our grounds more private I agreed. Not to mention that with a 2 minute walk in either direction you can get amazing beach side restaurants that serve just about anything your heart desires. The RPV staff made sure everything was taken care of and our villa was cleaned spotlessly daily while we were gone. At night there is security on the grounds and my wife and I felt safe and sound the whole trip. We did not even lock our doors. At the end of our week we were sad to leave this paradise. The only hiccup we had in our whole trip was the closing of the Tambor airport due to maintenance. I thought this was going to be a big problem, but Sandrina and Lucrecia assured me not to worry and enjoy my honeymoon. Sure enough, the day before we left left Lucrecia came over to our villa and told me that Sansa airlines had canceled all the flights out of Tambor. Then she tells me that she arranged transportation for my wife and I to ride to Javilla, she had reserved a flight on NaturalAir from Javilla to San Jose and we would make all our connections no problem. She then informed me that she contacted Sansa and went through the steps of having our original flight refunded. That right there, you can not put a price on. She went out of her way to ensure we had no problems or headaches getting home. So thank you Lucrecia, Josefina, and Sandrina for making our week amazing. All in all I give RPV 5 stars in every category except for the bed and the pool. The bed gets a 4, I'm spoiled on my tempur-pedic. The pool situation gets a 3 because technically there is not a pool,rather a pacific ocean. However next door there is a pool that they will gladly let you take a dip. But, in all honesty who goes to Costa Rica to sit in a pool. We found much better pools on the beach at low tide surrounded by rocks. I would highly recommend RPV to anyone looking for a honeymoon getaway, elopement, wedding, or just an incredible vacation. We will definitley be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Red Palm Villas? Share your experiences!