“Cannot Recommend Enough” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
New York City, New York
“Cannot Recommend Enough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I cannot recommend mike, the staff, and the villas, and overall the resort. I cannot emphasize the richness of the environment. You cannot appreciate the beaches, and the fact the villas are ON THE BEACHES. Pictures don't do justice. It's just miles and miles of beautiful beaches, how can we do justice to it by talking or trying to take one snapshot of something so vast. This is the place to go for your special moment.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

From the moment I arrived at the Red Palm Villas I was greeted by the most friendly staff I have ever met at a resort. I luckily found the RPV only 3 weeks prior to my vacation which probably was on one of the busiest, Easter week. The next day after talking to Mike I was on the phone with his staff making arrangements for my trip. I told them what I wanted to do and they did the rest. They arranged my short flight from San Jose and everyone of my excursions. We fished for sailfish and caught. Saw hundreds of monkeys right over the villas and toured Curu Reserve where we kayaked to an amazing private beach. We ziplined over waterfalls and rode ATV's on the beach where people dont go. They arranged a massage for my wife on short notice right on the beach. When I arrived, they had my itinerary printed out for me. They know the best suppliers of tour guides and rentals for anything you want to do. The villas are beautiful and clean. Each one was very different. I should know because during my one week I stayed in 4 of them. They all have their own personality and are just steps away from a beautiful beach. The area has great local food and everyone is friendly in town. As a surgeon, I usually don't have or spend much time writing reviews like this but this resort was worth my time. Oh, I forgot about two residents that live at the villas. Ceiba and Cisco. They are the most friendly and fun dogs. Each morning they would greet you and escort you to breakfast or take you to dinner. It's like they knew who was staying there. They were great.

• Stayed March 2013
Portland, OR USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Red Palm richly deserves all of the glowing 5 star reviews. I'll spare repeating what everyone else has said about the luxury, fresh flowers and excellent service. Instead I'll give you some ideas and tips to consider as you research your stay at Red Palm.
We stayed in the Honeymoon Villa. Gorgeous. Amazing bathroom/shower with open air and views of the beach while you shower. Nice AC in the main bedroom.
The small kitchen is workable. We bought fresh fish from the dockside market at Mal Pais and cooked at the Villa. You may want to check ahead somehow to make sure there's some filets available. Both days we drove over there we found fresh fish.
We rented a 4 wheel drive from Alamo. The Red Palm people booked this for us. Alamo was terrific. You NEED 4 WHEEL DRIVE in this part of the country, especially if you drive to Montezuma, Blanco or Curu.
The front desk set up a one day tour to Curu Wildlife Refuge. This was a fun, full day. Saw loads of monkeys and took a boat ride out to Tortuga Island. The snorkeling was a bust due to cloudy water conditions.
Red Palm is really about surfing and hanging on the amazing, miles long beach in front of the place. The best breaks are about 100 yards from the Honeymoon Villa. Yes, you can do day tours to Curu and Montezuma..... But the roads are very rough so you won't want to be on the move all the time.
We also walked the Montezuma waterfall trail. We are very fit hikers.... Getting to the first falls is easy. And you DO NOT need a guide to walk this trail despite what the tout at the parking said. We did not go up to the 2nd falls... Looked a little risky compared to the reward.
We're glad we went to Curu instead of Blanco. Curu has wonderful beaches -- and sea kayaking. You can seak kayak about 30 minutes to your own private small beach. And the $10 entrance fee seems to keep it all manageable and keeps the crowds down. Again, lots of monkeys.
Smart, efficient staff. Gorgeous setting. Top of the line all the way. Excellent breakfast next door at Milarepa.
Other considerations.... It can get hot to during the day here. Some dogs barking at night (ear plugs as an option) and this place is fairly remote. It's a surfers paradise. Or just bring a good ok or two and relax in the many hammocks provided.
And.... Visit the surf bar called Roca Mar almost next door to Red Palm. Mojitos right on the beach. We ate dinner at Brisas Del Mar. Excellent but hard to drive to, it's up a very steep road which requires 4 wheel drive. We enjoyed our tour guide to Curu... Percy. Ask for him if you need surf lessons or Curu tour day.
Thanks again to the Red Palm crew. We will be back.

Room Tip: Tough to choose between honeymoon and hummingbird. Both are right on the beach.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We searched for months to find the perfect honeymoon getaway and we found it. Our criteria for such a place was very particular. First and foremost we wanted something off the "beaten path". We did not want to be bothered by a bunch of people and were not looking for the whole all inclusive resort type deal. We were looking for something that we could go off on our own, and have the freedoms to do some exploring. And, did we ever find it. Right from the get go Red Palm Villas sent us a warm email extending their gratitude for choosing RPV and gave us lots of useful information as far as travel connections, time involved, transfers, and they set up our regional transportation from San Jose to Tambor. They also sent us lots of good information about the excursions they offered and what all was around us to keep us busy for our week. Upon arrival in San Jose we were met by a very friendly associate of the regional airline that took us to Tambor. He picked us up and dropped us by the supermarket for water, wine, and all the necessities we would want before we got out to the coast. After a quick 40 min flight out to Tambor we were greeted by our transportation that took us the rest of the way to RPV. When we arrived we were amazed by our beautiful grounds and beach that was just beyond the tree line. We were promptly greeted by Josefina who showed us to the "Humminbird Villa". They had a nice bottle of champagne iced down for us and a fresh bowl of tropical fruit. The villa was exactly what we saw on the internet except we could not see the detail from the web. We spent at least an hour admiring the craftsmanship and construction of our tree house-esque villa and loved the open shower with a view of the pacific. The staff at RPV then came by and congratulated us on our marriage and brought us our tickets for the breakfast next door at Mila Repa. The next morning we awoke to the sound of waves crashing on the beach and went over to try our first breakfast. When we returned we were met by Eric who delivered our honda 4wheeler for the week. I highly recommend doing this because there is no better way to tour the Nicoya peninsula then by four wheeler. The RPV staff exceeded all of our expectations and everything that they arranged for us to do was a huge success. We went fishing one day and caught some monster Rooster Fish. Sunset horseback ride with Katiana is hard to pass up. Montezuma zip line and waterfall tour is a must. The surfing out of your back door is head high right to left peelers on a bad day. We could have spent another week in Santa Teresa only wanting to go eat at more local restaurants. I can comfortably say that this is the best place to stay in Santa Teresa solely judging others reactions when we told them where we were staying. At first I was skeptical about not having a restaurant on location but when I found out this was done to keep our grounds more private I agreed. Not to mention that with a 2 minute walk in either direction you can get amazing beach side restaurants that serve just about anything your heart desires. The RPV staff made sure everything was taken care of and our villa was cleaned spotlessly daily while we were gone. At night there is security on the grounds and my wife and I felt safe and sound the whole trip. We did not even lock our doors. At the end of our week we were sad to leave this paradise. The only hiccup we had in our whole trip was the closing of the Tambor airport due to maintenance. I thought this was going to be a big problem, but Sandrina and Lucrecia assured me not to worry and enjoy my honeymoon. Sure enough, the day before we left left Lucrecia came over to our villa and told me that Sansa airlines had canceled all the flights out of Tambor. Then she tells me that she arranged transportation for my wife and I to ride to Javilla, she had reserved a flight on NaturalAir from Javilla to San Jose and we would make all our connections no problem. She then informed me that she contacted Sansa and went through the steps of having our original flight refunded. That right there, you can not put a price on. She went out of her way to ensure we had no problems or headaches getting home. So thank you Lucrecia, Josefina, and Sandrina for making our week amazing. All in all I give RPV 5 stars in every category except for the bed and the pool. The bed gets a 4, I'm spoiled on my tempur-pedic. The pool situation gets a 3 because technically there is not a pool,rather a pacific ocean. However next door there is a pool that they will gladly let you take a dip. But, in all honesty who goes to Costa Rica to sit in a pool. We found much better pools on the beach at low tide surrounded by rocks. I would highly recommend RPV to anyone looking for a honeymoon getaway, elopement, wedding, or just an incredible vacation. We will definitley be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Weston, ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We just returned from a fabulous vacation at the Red palm villas. We cannot say enough about the friendly staff and the beautiful grounds at the Red Palms. We stayed at the hummingbird villa which was a 2 bedroom villa with large living area and second floor sitting area just steps off of a beautiful beach. I came to spend a week with my son who was interested in improving his surfing. While the surf was unseasonably large, we did have some great days surfing and the beatiful beach out our front door was great for swimming and boogie boarding on the days the surf was too big. The restaraunts (Milaripa, Florablanca) are all within an easy walk on the beach and town is a 5 to 10 minute taxi drive away. I would highly recommend the Red Palm for anyone that likes low-key luxury.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Irvine, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We searched for weeks in hopes to find the perfect place to have our wedding and honeymoon and we were so beyond happy with our choice. Red Palm Villas is hands down the BEST place to stay in Santa Teresa regardless whether you are there to surf or need a family getaway or having a wedding / honeymoon. They exceeded ALL of our expectations and everything could not have been more perfect. When planning a wedding, things could get a little stress full especially when you are having your wedding in another country, but everything was smooth sailing from the very beginning. They take customer service to a whole nother lever. They took care of everything from setting up our beautiful ceremony on the beach to our private dinner on the sand to all of our excursions and arranging all of our dinners. Every single suggestion they had was amazing, from the places to go site see, to activities to their lunch and dinner suggestions. I honestly cannot say enough about this place. We felt like we were staying with family, everyone at Red Palm Villas was very sweet and sooo accommodating. The beach is absolutely breath taking, and the food in Santa Teresa is amazing... I had some of the best dishes of my life. Not only did we fall in love with Santa Teresa we fell in love with Red Palm Villas and we are certain we will be visiting them again soon. If you are looking for a place to stay, there is nowhere like Red Palm Villas... you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I did an exhaustive amount of working trying to find the ideal place to stay in Santa Teresa and after staying at Red Palm (Honeymoon Suite) and being in town I can say this is the best place to stay in Santa Teresa. My wife and I and two children (6 and 9) were in town for a wedding and had a blast. The people working at Red Palm were very nice and accommodating.The package included surf lessons and a guided nature walk (the guys at Olingo were great). The beach is beautiful and what blew us away was how great the cuisine was in Santa Teresa. They keep things quite simple and fruits and fish were extraordinary. Breakfast next door (included) at Milerepa was very good (although a little slow but no worries). Red Palm is on the north (quiet) side of town.. near Florblanca and some others. Seems like this is where all the higher end places to stay. You definitely need an ATV or car to get around. we had two ATV's and the kids had an absolute blast riding with us. The only issue to be aware of is that it is VERY dusty on the roads.. they water some of them down but it was dry season and the roads are not paved. There are a number of markets any many good restaurants. Our favorite was Brisas Del Mar and I would recommend also going to a local Costa Rican "soda" to try traditional Costa Rican cuisine which is quite good. Santa Teresa has more of a American/European vibe than traditional costa rican town as they are drawn to the fantastic surfing and beaches. I recommend you DO NOT drive to the Nicoya pensinsula as the roads are super sketchy. Best was to go is fly Sansa (which owned by a big airline) to Tambor and get a taxi (or have someone pick you up) and drive you to Santa Teresa

Back to the honeymoon suite it was well appointed especially when you think you literally are so far away from a major city, they had a huge quasi outdoor shower, the main bedroom is air conditioned and quiet. If you sleep upstairs it is much louder (jungle noises birds etc) but the ocean waves drowns some of that sound away. Interestingly, we were adopted by the two red palms dogs (Cisco and ?) and they would follow us around to lunch and breakfast and they were very sweet with my children (and even better they barked at anyone they strayed into red palms. On that note we felt very safe there I think the main thing to worry about is petty theft of small items when you are out on the beach but again we felt very safe and secure at Red Palm (which frankly was a concern for me before arriving).

I also recommend heading up to Playa Hermosa (about a 5-10 minute drive).. beautiful huge beach with generally mellower waves. The surf lessons and nature tour were great, Red Palm was great, and Costa Rica in general blew us and our kids away with all the potential activities, great food or just an opportunity to chillax on the beach! Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Red Palm Villas? Share your experiences!