“Awesome” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Red Palm Villas

We can't find prices for this hotel
The Red Palm Villas
Santa Teresa main road, Santa Teresa 90248, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #15 of 25 hotels in Santa Teresa
usa
“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Booked this place for 5 days for my girlfriend's birthday. We absolutely loved it. Was looking for a relaxing getaway with as much privacy as possible. Stayed at the Hummingbird Villa and it was perfect. The Villa itself is gorgeous and clean. Actually, the villa is stunning. Like a beautiful luxury treehouse. No complaints. You are seconds from the beach. It's peaceful and quiet and you hardly see or run into anyone else on the property. There are quite a few people on the beach obviously but it is not congested at all. Really beautiful.

If you walk a few minutes along the beach in either direction you will run into places to eat and drink. Rocamar has good fish, drinks were OK. Milarepa has a decent breakfast. Flor Blanca has a nice lunch menu and good drinks.

I was trying to decide between Red Palm and Florblanca when looking for a place to stay. After seeing Florblanca, I am glad I chose the Red Palm. It is smaller and more private, which is what I was looking for. Florblanca looks great, but it didn't look like the villas were nearly as nice as the Red Palm.

Service was excellent. We had surfing lessons for 2 days with Leo. He is a great guy, very patient. We also had the couples massage in our villa - excellent, and the horseback ride at sunset on the beach - also excellent.

For dinner I highly recommend Koji's. It was some of the best sushi I have ever tasted - comparable to Nobu and Megu. The fish was perhaps the freshest I've ever had. Pasta Basta was also very good.

Nothing bad to say about this place, really. The Hummingbird Villa was a bit pricey but I still think it was a good value and we had an amazing time. Would love to come back and probably will.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

189 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

If you need to wind down, decompress, relax and rejuvenate this is the place for you. The grounds are gorgeous and everything is first class. My best friend and I were treated like royalty. The hotel staff is accommodating and friendly. They knew our names and were very humble and sweet. Snorkeling and swimming out front are great, as well as surfing. Love this hotel and their yoga instructor! My best yoga class EVER! We are going back with our girlfriends this coming March. Thanks everyone there for a great getaway!

• Stayed April 2012
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I recently returned to Costa Rica to visit family and decided to stay at Red Palm Villas for a night. We got married at Red Palm Villas in May 2010 (review of this on tripadvisor) and wanted to relive some of our wedding moments there. I have to tell you...this is my third time stepping onto the grounds of RPV and going through the Honeymoon Villa was like walking through it the first time.....it took my breath away and I had mini butterflies of excitement just seeing the architecture, beach view, and flowers all over. I don't know how to describe it, but it just felt like home.

Initially we only had time to stay for one night, as we had plans to travel other places in the country, but Mike convinced me to stay two nights. We stayed the two nights, and immediately after leaving for our next destination, I was sad and missed RPV and our furry friends so much that I had to return. We returned three days later and this time stayed in the Hummingbird Villa for another night. I have to say the Hummingbird Villa is now my favorite. I love how you can just roll up the windows and have an open air house with this gorgeous view of the waves rolling on the beach while eating breakfast at your kitchen table. Even after leaving again the 2nd time, it was still not enough. Next time we will be definitely staying longer.

During our stay there, I fell in love with the RPV dogs, Cisco & Ceiba. They are both so special, each with their own unique personality - loyal, fun, friendly, and loving. They were such a pleasure to have around. It's like we adopted them for the time we were there, and definitely it was sad to leave them behind. If you are a dog lover, you will definitely enjoy their company. If you are not, rest assured the dogs provide added security to the property and you will be safe during your stay.

As we were there during low season, there wasn’t actually much restaurants or hotels open in Santa Teresa. However, the RPV staff was able to still provide great restaurant suggestions and activities to do.

I wanted to also comment about a previous review on RPV from another person who mentioned that she came to RPV to view the place for a wedding venue and received no service, couldn't find reception, parking etc. When I first contacted RPV's website about having my 50 person wedding there, I conversed with Mike and let him know when we were going to be in Santa Teresa to check out the venue. I didn't have a specific time since I didn't know when we were going to arrive, but when we did there are clear signs of parking and reception (uploaded here) and Mike was waiting for us to show us around the property. He took the time and showed us all 5 villas and how each of them was different and unique, and showed us the beachfront and gave us great suggestions for our wedding. It was first class service! The villas are not little - they are huge with lots of space to invite your friends over for drinks and dinner. There are kitchens where you can prepare your own meals or have a chef prepare for you. Even during our stay this past October, every time we pulled up in our car, Lucercita would always come out of the reception area and greet us with a smiling face at the parking lot. In no way is customer service lacking at RPV. It is fantastic customer service but with a personal touch!

Miss you RPV, Ceiba & Cisco! See you all again in two years.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Buffalo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here for seven nights in August 2012 and this was the
perfect start to our trip. Set on the edge of a stunning beach, the Red
Palm Villas is a collection of villas in exquisite grounds with perfectly
kept grounds and gardens.
The ratio of guests to space is incredibly
generous and sometimes it felt as though we were the only guests
there. I can’t remember sitting on a beach anywhere with such a
luxurious atmosphere certainly not with us being the only people
there.
Our villa was luxurious and equipped to a high standard with
great air conditioning in the bedroom; a well stocked mini bar, free
wifi and a great complimentary breakfast. Of course nothing is really
free, we paid a fair and felt it was still a great choice. Highlight was
the welcome afforded to us by all of the staff who without exception
contributed to creating a special atmosphere, we extend a special
thanks to Lucrecia, Ruth and Josefina. Take the Guided Jungle Tour
if you can, our guide Edwin did a fantastic job of introducing us to the
local culture, wildlife and even took us to some waterfalls where we
were able to take a dip and just relax. Thoroughly recommended for
weddings, honeymoons or family vacations.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

TOP Notch Resort

My husband and I travel often enjoying the finer experiences in life and we were still wowed by the Red Palm Villas. The location is great, the grounds are great and all the staff were top notch. We only wish we could have stayed longer then the ten wonderful days we had. Made for a great 20th anniversary, we can’t wait to go back and definitely will.

• Stayed May 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This was our belated honeymoon, we were originally meant to travel to Red Palm Villas in April 2012 but due to an illness in the family we postponed the trip. The owner found another guest for our dates and allowed us to switch, that laid the foundation for a great review.

We travelled during the “Green Season” and it was green, everything was flowering, we had rain only once the entire trip and it was pleasant.

We arrived at 7:30pm by private transfer and began the check in, it was fast and efficient, during this time it took only moments for my husband to immediately adopt one of resorts mascot’s named Sysco, a very friendly and playful dog.

I couldn't fault the check in, it was like Fantasy Island the TV show, they were waiting for us to arrive, knew our names and immediately had our bags sent to our villa before we even got to reception, it was great, no one waiting for a tip, it was a nice way to start the honeymoon, there’s nothing worse then from the moment you get off the plane being inundated by people with their hands out everywhere.

From the time we exited San Jose International we were 100% under the watchful eyes of the Red Palm Villas staff, everything was first class from the private charter where we were escorted to a hanger and minutes later were in the air, to the shuttle to the hotel. The private charter is the way to go, almost the same price as the local carrier but much more convenient. The flight was about 30 minutes and we flew over some surfers and passed a few small islands before landing on an airstrip in the jungle. Tambor is not much of an “airport”, just an airstrip and a few local taxi’s hanging out waiting for passengers.

The driver was accommodating in every way, he was pleasant, sincerely helpful, respectful, and patient, we turned a 45 minute drive from the airport into almost 3 hours of spontaneous sightseeing (we saw monkeys on the way in and had to stop for photos, we had no idea we would see so many more later) we stopped for a quick casado at a local Cobano restaurant, hit the ATM and then the market for supplies and finally got to our villa already in an excellent mood.

Lucrecia and Cisco walked us to our villa on the beach, one more sweet and personal touch, his rhasta tail was wagging as he showed us the way, you could tell this was part of his daily routine and he loved it, we called him our chaperone and body guard, everyone in all the restaurants knew him, he was the hit of our stay, the Red Palm Villas celebrity, as soon as we arrived anywhere with our new buddy everyone would say, “hola Cisco” it was hysterical and more endearing then we could have imagined, he was our little popular tour guide.

My husband travels a lot and stays in all the best resorts and hotels, he was blown away by the imagination of our lovely villa which says a lot, he’s still talking about it and I never hear him say anything during his travels. I’m not near the expert traveler but I agree in every way, our expectations were far exceeded, it was not a typical high end sterile hotel room, however it was spotlessly cleaned, functionally perfect, fresh, appropriately opened in ways to allow us to fully enjoy nature without even leaving the villa.

We had the Honeymoon Package which included private chef service, we took 3 nights, Torsten gets 5 stars, the rest of our stay we ate only next door where we had our breakfast every day also, it was easy, relaxing and everyone very friendly and professional, the chef there Sebastian is really French and makes a great chocolate cake.

Our last night we had a cocktail and caught the sunset at the Brisas del Mar restaurant, next time we go back we will have dinner there, the menu looked very good.

I forgot to mention, when we arrived, already in our villa waiting for us was a complimentary bottle of champagne. I can't remember the name of the champagne but it was extremely good, typically I don’t care for champagne but this was exceptional, it was offered in the minibar for $150, we opened it and served it, everything seemed just too perfect but hey, it was our long awaited and belated honeymoon, why not, THANK YOU Red Palm Villas staff!

Our villa was awesome, and as advertised, it had great views from every room. We had two bedrooms, each very different with comfy king size beds and large pillows and fresh high quality sheets, what a feeling waking up and seeing the waves every morning from bed. The master bedroom is large and has an AC that keeps the place cold if you need it.

Second floor bedroom, perfect ocean views from bed, we had monkeys in trees passing just feet away with babies clinging to them, it was beautiful and right there yet they never tried to come in our villa, you knew it was safe, it was such a great experience with views and these types of experiences we never imagined or could have hoped for.

The shower was another unexpected surprise, I had several of the best sunset showers in my life, a few of them as I watched my husband out surfing the last waves of the day, it was surreal and made the thought of ever leaving my only sadness the entire trip, I was living in a dream I would have loved to never end.

The resort is in a terrific spot. We always walked to the market which depending on how fast you walked, could take 10-15 minutes. There we purchased a few miniature bananas called apple bananas, they were very delicious, we also had fresh mangos every day, they were like candy.
We always felt safe walking back at night from the restaurant next door as the path is lit up. The security guards on the property were always there to welcome us, the one guard has a very sweet old Chihuahua who accompanies him on his rounds, I think the dogs name was “Jimmy”, most the time the guard had “Jimmy” tucked under his arm carrying him, it was again another sweet and personal touch of this very nice establishment. You can tell the owner loves animals, the property is a sanctuary for birds, monkeys and a few sweet dogs.

The breakfast’s offered are fantastic! Great selection, always yummy... The nights we had the private chef, his name is Torsten and we highly recommend, we always ate outside on our patio as it was cool and very romantic.

The staff is so friendly. We would like to thank the two reception staff which helped us confirm our pick up times for our two tours!

We took a taxi to Mal Pais Saturday afternoon and had lunch and shopped for some gifts, there are a lot of little shops, and on Saturday there is an open market on the beach with lots of local artisans displaying their crafts, all very original, not like a lot of other touristical spots where everyone is selling the same things, you should try to go there.

We would like to thank all the staff for our enjoyable stay for our honeymoon. Overall my husband and I enjoyed our 7 nights at this resort and will definitely recommend it to our family and friends if they are planning a trip to Costa Rica. We give them a well-deserved 5 STARS in all categories; this trip exceeded our expectations in every way possible.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hyattsville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We just returned from our 4th (and longest – 14 days) consecutive visit to the Red Palm Villas. Having emailed before our arrival re our room preference, Lucrecia pulled out all the stops to make it happen even though they appeared full occupancy. Somehow she managed to offer a guest an upgrade to another villa, did a little shuffling and we were in, that’s one of the many reasons we keep coming back, nothing is impossible or too much to ask the staff or owner there. We were very grateful.

We used the loungers in front of the beach for morning coffee and afternoon sunsets which are perfect vantage, straight on facing west. All day long there is a nice breeze on this property, another plus.

As always the staff was genuinely very friendly without being pushy and that makes a big difference never being bothered. Our one bedroom villa was the highlight this visit, it was new and occupied the last time we were there but this time Lucrecia got us in, Harmony Villa, it’s a few steps from the beach, you can hear the ocean when you’re sleeping, it’s a one-bedroom total AC villa in their garden, no real beach views to speak of – it’s very spacious and well appointed – great bed - and as we like cooking we got great use out of the BBQ and fully equipped kitchen.

There are a few markets close by, the fruits are very fresh, not like anything you experience in the states. The pineapples are tasty, amazing and cheap. There’s a very good fish store about 2 miles away, they sell out early, everything is fresh and caught that day, if you like to cook you have to go there, I forgot the name but the staff will get you dialed in, I think it was called “Product C”, I bought some tuna one day for about $5-6 a pound and grouper another day about the same price.

Inexpensive excellent local food is found everywhere in “soda’s”. There are 4 or 5 restaurants all within walking distance on the beach, very nice and easy access, we rarely used our car but I recommend a car for getting around. We’ve been there 4 times now and know all the great little beaches and shops, you’ll dig out more stuff if you have a car or quad.

There are about 6 restaurants in town you must go to. Our first pick is right next door, Milarepa, it’s a French restaurant where we had the most delicious breakfast every day, after that was Koji Sushi, and then Brisas del Mar, a lit bit of a journey up the hill they are on but worth it, get there for sunsets, they have a huge view of the ocean and at sunset it’s magnificent.

We’ll certainly be back to the Red Palm Villas again – just too nice, looking forward to planning our next trip!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Red Palm Villas? Share your experiences!