“No Amenities” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Red Palm Villas

We can't find prices for this hotel
The Red Palm Villas
Santa Teresa main road, Santa Teresa 90248, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #16 of 25 hotels in Santa Teresa
Aspen, Colorado
“No Amenities”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

My boyfriend and I found this resort nice but it was secluded and just a little too far from restaurants and shops. It was our first trip to this region. We didn't have a car and the road was muddy because of rains. We had a private villa but were irritated that our "private" path was constantly used by other guests. There was no pool and the surf was too big to swim (plus locals we met told us that the tides could be unpredictable and dangerous). Surfers seemed to be having a great time and even rescued someone who was caught in the tide. But I wouldn't have stayed here if my children were with me.

From here we went to Samara which had one of the most incredible bay's I had ever seen and very safe swimming - we would highly recommend beaches to the north (or south by Jaco / Manuel Antonio) if you like to swim in the ocean - or snorkling. Unfortunately I can't recommend any hotels because we stayed in a friend's private villa. The northern beaches were also much closer to our airport - Liberia. It was such a LONG bumpy drive to Mal Pais and Santa Teresa. The best part of the drive was the ferry ride from Puntarenas.

Considering how pretty the villas looked on the website, we were surprised that only the bedroom was air-conditioned. Maybe at other times of year this is fine, but it was too hot and humid for us and we had lots of bugs. I wish there had been at least a small pool to dip in.

All in all, it was a nice place and the staff was sweet, especially Lucresha. I would have given it 4 stars but thought it was too expensive considering no amenities what-so-ever. I probably won't come back to Santa Teresa mostly because I like to swim and thought it was unsafe.

Room Tip: We were invited for drinks by another guest who said the walls of the suites were too thin and they...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
RedPalmVillas_10, Owner at The Red Palm Villas, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Dear reviewer,

We're sorry things were not as you expected. We place a great deal of emphasis regarding the AC master bedrooms, open air environment as well as the condition of the roads, etc. Your review is important, the last thing we desire it to attract someone to such a beautiful beach who would not appreciate it. As you know, it's a long way to come to be disappointed and that would never be our intention. Santa Teresa is clearly not for everyone and we really encourage potential guests to do some research before coming to see if maybe something a little more on the beaten path would be to their preference, something like Jaco or even Club Med in Mexico.

Regarding the ocean, it's really hard to judge nature, you never really know when a swell will come, for the surf community it's never often enough. With that said, there are days we experience an ocean that's as calm as a bathtub and other days there are waves and it does change from day to day, most swells barely last a few days.

We are happy to were able to move on and find a more suitable beach, and we are sorry your experience was not as you expected. Thanks for taking the time to write a review and we promise to make more of an effort to steer off any travelers in the future who might have the same reaction to a place like Santa Teresa with their dusty roads and sometimes wavy ocean. I guess being ranked one of the TOP 10 beaches in the world and the #1 beach in Central and South America sometimes gives travelers the wrong impression. I think the people who established those rankings were more interested in raw beauty and surroundings full of untouched nature, something that's harder and harder to find everyday.

We do sit a mile from the center of town where all the hustle and bustle is and we consider ourselves fortunate to live on the quiet end of the beach where you can actually relax and not be inundated with a crowd of people as well as to be less then 3 minutes from 3 amazing beach front restaurants and a world class spa. For some it's too quiet, for others it's paradise. We promise to really make that more clear so in the future the ambiance of Santa Teresa remains one full of people who are there to appreciate such a gorgeous beach and quaint community as opposed to arrive and feel contempt and disappointment. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and feelings and as I said earlier, Santa Teresa is definitely not for everyone and we hope the potential guests who it is not for figure that out and save themselves such a long trip only to be disappointed by not finding what they needed to have a nice holiday.

188 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

This was our 4th trip in 3 years to Costa Rica. It was our first time in Santa Teresa. We stayed at this beautiful resort for 7 nights in one of the beachfront villas and as all these reviews say, this is a beautiful, quiet, intimate haven. The staff couldn't do enough for us and were so friendly and if you were willing to learn about their culture only to pleased to tell you. They did everything possible to satisfy our needs, nothing was too much trouble for them. My husband and I were amazed at the flavor of the mangos, we mentioned this to the staff, the next day from their private trees we were given mangos for the rest of our visit.

We were there for our anniversary and Lucrecia and her staff made our day very special by decorating the villa with flowers and petals which took a lot of time and effort as well as a beautiful bottle of amazing champagne, not the cheap stuff by any means, it was a VERY nice bottle. We also had most of our meals in the French restaurant directly next door, Milarepa, the chef deviated many times from the menu to satisfy our need for glutton free and vegan meals. The food was tasty, fresh and not very expensive, we ate there at least 8 times between breakfast and dinners. Another great spot for a meal and views was the Brisas del Mar restaurant, a must do.

We also tried the spa up the beach, it was also very nice, a little expensive, more so then in Boston if you can believe that but we were on a holiday so the treat was appreciated. We also had several great massages right at our villa while watching the waves and listen to the soothing sounds of the ocean, no one should leave without at least one massage.

The complimentary breakfast was just like Mike the owner said it would be, very gourmet, off a menu, not a buffet, everything was first class and exceptional quality from the fresh organic fruits to the French press gourmet coffee.

If you want a very luxurious, quiet, private, secluded holiday go for one of the beachfront villas, they are a little pricey but you only live once and if you’re going to splurge to be on one of the best beaches in the world the Red Palm IS the spot to do so.
Our package came with a free transfer from the Tambor airport, it was nice to have a driver waiting for us who worked for the resort. On the way in he suggested we stop at a market for supplies and we were very thankful for as we had forgotten a few things which we found there.

We have already planned to come back to this resort for my 50th birthday in January; I can hardly wait and am literally counting the days.
We read a review from someone who had not stayed there and they gave the resort a very bad review. Besides finding it odd/suspicious a non-guest could write a guest review, and after staying there I can say they must not have been at the right place. There is no way possible their review reflects the character, image or quality of the Red Palm Villas. It almost seemed like some type of an attack on this resort, which seems unfair.

We are food snobs and even a bit of travel snobs and we were blown away by the service, the villas are out of this world, they are spot on clean, gorgeous, creative and imaginative. If someone reading these reviews is trying to work out which Santa Teresa hotel to stay at I’d say from personal experience, this is the place. They without a doubt have the best location, which is almost everything and then the staff, the villas, the ambiance, there’s nothing missing, it has the charm, intimacy and imagination needed to capture your best holiday ever.

Without hesitation I recommend this resort for a family holiday, wedding or other celebration.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My wife and I along with our 7 year old daughter recently stayed at Red Palm Villas in June 2012. It was the best place we could have stayed in Santa Teresa. Before we even left the states Ruth and the staff helped us organize and plan our vacation. Their recommendation to fly from San Jose to Tambor and not take the ferry was spot on and saved us 5-7 hours of driving. Ruth also lined up our rental car and had it waiting for us waiting at Tambor Airport. Once there they directed us to the best restuarants, shopping, snorkeling and rain forest hiking........truly first class service, like none I have experienced in my extensive travels. Red Palm Villas is a slice of Costa Rican paradise and we can't wait to go back. We miss the people, food, sites but mostly the dogs that live at the villas. The surf was really good too!!

Room Tip: all rooms are clean and in a paradise setting
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have to say this was the best vacation I ever had. The customer service was fabulous. Ruth helped me in every way she could. She told me where to go while in San Jose, she arranged for a drive to pick me up and drive me around San Jose.
She told me what airline to take to the island. Again she sent a driver to pick us up. She arraigned every activity. I felt like a Quinn. All I had to do inquire about something and it was done. It was a customer service we can only dream about to have in the United States. Once we got there it was a true haven on earth, beautiful villas, extra clean (I am very picky about hotels). The stuff at the Villas is extraordinary.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Red Palm Villas Santa Teresa.
I knew it was going to be a great experience by the way I was treated from the second I made contact with the owner Michael Radler over email. He was full of information and answered any questions I had since it would be our first trip to Costa Rica,
From the second we arrived it was a wonderful experience. We had arrived early to check and without hesitation the manager Yateem offered to upgrade us immediately as the villa was available. He was very kind and incredibly efficient even though it was way too early in the day for them to take a check in. They accommodated us beautifully.
The property is right on the beach and you are lulled to sleep by the sound of the Pacific Ocean. We were upgraded to the Harmony Beach villa and it was really lovely. All of the amenities of home. Nothing left to chance. Even had a flashlight for the late night dash to the “tico” style bathroom. Wonderful experience showering outside in the fresh air. We loved it.
The property is beautifully appointed and wonderfully laid out. Each villa is private and you hardly see another guest. There are lush plantings and citrus trees and bananas all over. The three dogs that make Red Palm Villas their home were delightful, and were always there to greet us and they accompanied me on my early morning walks on the beach. There are great lounge chairs to watch the waves or catch some sun and hammocks for the afternoon siesta. Our villa was exactly that. Villas, kitchen, dining area, living room and seating area and separate curtained bed room area. Incredibly comfortable beds with delicious sheets and fluffy pillows. Fresh flowers to make it extra special. Air conditioned.
I would recommend Red Palm Villas to anyone traveling to Santa Teresa. It is beautiful, private and the staff makes you feel incredibly special.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We were looking for something romantic, remote, quiet, secluded and on the water...after some debate and some intereaction with Mike via email, we finally made it to RPV...it delivered on all counts....getting there by rental car was certainly a bit of a challenge-the roads definitely leave a bit to be desired....maybe that deters some, who knows.....but the end result was well worth it...such a quiet, secluded place...and the villas are just so comfortable and luxuriously simple....lucatia and josefina were just so kind and accommodating...they truly made us feel at home and u could tell they really were intent on our enjoying our stay and were genuinely disappointed when we had to depart...they recommended kojis for dinner and wow....what a fantastic place...we went twice...only recommendation i might make is a 5 star bed linen instead of what i might consider a 4 star....as some have mentioned, this isnt ur typical beachside cookie cutter resort...but if ur looking for something truly unique and secluded, then its worth ur time and efforts to visit RPV....

Room Tip: the two two-bedroom villas are the ones closest to the beach, though not waterside...theyre definite...
Decatur, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

What can we say? Red Palm has a location on the beach in Santa Teresa that cannot be beat. However, their staff (Lucretia, Ruth, Josefina and ancillary) made the trip more special than we could have ever imagined.

We chose this location for several reasons...our commitment ceremony, a much needed vacation away from work and a 50th birthday celebration.

We stayed in the Honeymoon Villa. It was perfect in every way. We were looking for a trip where the view was incredible and we could get away from it all. We were there during off season so we felt like the beach was almost private...only some locals and some surfers every day but there were plenty of times during the week when it was just us in our private beach chairs looking down the coastline just taking in the view and hearing the waves crash in front of us. Sleeping in the open air bedroom upstairs with a view of the ocean in front of us as well as the sounds of it and the jungle at night were something only imagined in our dreams. There is no tv and no phone in your room. It really helped to really make it a private, romantic week away. We both have stressful jobs and can honestly say that the week rejuvenated us and relaxed us body and soul.

This resort and location is for people who want to get away and spend quality time together. If you are wanting action, nightlife and shopping, this is not the place for you.

The staff makes you feel really comfortable and anything you need, all you have to do is go to the reception desk and they will arrange for your taxi, atv, or whatever service you wish. They never seemed bothered and were truly wonderful people. We miss you so much already Lu, Ruth and Josefina.

They created a beautiful commitment ceremony for me and my partner on the beach. They spent a lot of time getting everything prepared for our special day. Our villa was decked out in fresh tropical flowers and the patio was amazing....it was just the right combination of rustic and chic decorum with driftwood signs like "All you need is love" and our dining table with beautiful decorations of seashells and candles, etcetera. I will never forget the beauty of it and the time and effort it took to create. We had a wonderful photographer named Hanit who made us feel so comfortable and actually took so many gorgeous pictures of us. After the ceremony, we had a private dinner created by Torsten on our patio. We really felt like royalty.

They helped us set up for ziplining, massages, atv rental and horseback riding. The ATV rental is not to be missed. It is important to see the beautiful countryside by riding the main roads which are gravel and dirt. We were able to go to Blanco National Reserve (like a national forest in the US) and to Montezuma. We were so busy checking out the countryside, we never made it to the waterfall (oh well, we will do it next time because there defintely will be a next time).

Some things we recommend are eating at Milarepa, the sister resort's restaurant, as much as possible. It was so delicious. We ate 3 dinners here and all of our breakfasts. Fresh smoothies and french press coffee to start the day is awesome. Eat the fresh fish as the Sea Bass was the best I have ever eaten....the tuna tartar wasn't half bad either. Mariana, Nawell and Lucas were fabulous. Not to mention 9 howler monkeys including 2 babies in the adjacent trees. If you go into town to eat, find out where the locals eat and eat there as it will be good, authentic costa rican food at a decent price. Bring plenty of cash (lower denomination bills) that can be exchanged into colones as no one takes credit cards.

The beauty of the beach at Santa Teresa was really something that we did not know existed and the beauty of the people there was unexpected.

We are back at our US lives as busy as ever but for once we were able to really slow down and smell the palm trees. We love ya Lu, Ruth and Josefina.

BTW: Tara W could never have come to Red Palm as we were there the same week. Reception was always ready to help us and their customer service was exemplary.

Until we meet again, pura vida. Kelli and Mere

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Red Palm Villas? Share your experiences!