“Reserva/Used to be Latitude 10” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Florblanca Resort

You added Florblanca Resort to your Saves list
Florblanca Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   4 KM North of Franks Place | Cobano, Santa Teresa 65771, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
New York
“Reserva/Used to be Latitude 10”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2008

Just to clarify: We made reservations to stay at Latitude Ten. That property and Flor Blanca were recently bought by a new owner and Latitude 10 will now be known as Flor Blanca Reserva. Guests at Reserva will be able to use the Flor Blanca hotel but Reserva will remain only for those guests staying there. The two properties are a five minute walk on the beach from each other.

I think the only changes that will happen at Reserva are that the prices are higher. In our case, double. And there is a rumor that children under 12 will no longer be welcome.

Latitude 10/ Reserva is amazing. My husband and I spent five nights their with our two children, 6 and 10. We shared two bungalows. The women who organize your life are amazing. Think mango smoothie and they make one appear. Want to go surfing, they know who will teach you. Need a place to eat on the awesome chef, Sebastian's night off, they point you toward the perfect secret place.

We had spent a week hiking and traveling and were happy to not do too much. The pool, the hammock at the beach, the large chairs in the main house proved amazing. Many reviewers have gone into perfect detail here....let me just add to make sure that you go snorkeling in the tidal pools near the hotel at low tide. Stunning and so simple.

We did walk over to Flor Blanca. We had a massage, sat at the bar and had a drink, used the internet and let the children play in the many hammocks. We were happy to walk among the zillions of hermit crabs at dusk and go back to our haven down the beach.

I hope the new owners will leave it as it is. Perfect.

• Liked — It felt like a perfect, private, spoil me vacation.
  • Disliked — The scorpion in the open air bathroom. At least I think it was a scorpion.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

Latitude 10 was everything I expected. Personal service, unique accomodations, and a beautiful and remote setting.

I was somewhat worried when I learned a week before my arrival that Latitude 10 had been purchased by the owners of nearby Florblanca. I became even more concerned when I saw that the new room rates were substantially higher than those I booked and the meal plan had been eliminated. I had read issues about rates and prices at Florblanca suddenly being charged at higher rates than previously represented.

My concerns were unfounded. My previously booked rate was honored. The meal plan no longer existed, but the prices for meals were not at all out of line for the quality of meals prepared.

I am not at all sure how best to describe this resort. It is personal and intimate. An ideal place for honeymooners, or couples just looking for a place to get away from the everyday hustle and bustle of the city.

The layout of the resort is well designed. The center of the resort is the clubhouse/dining room. The pool is immediately in front of this meeting/dining area. On each side of the clubhouse are the master suites, both considered ocean front. The three junior suites are actually behind the clubhouse to the left, right and center. All the suites are separate standing structures hidden amongst the landscaping.

For those worried about privacy, each suite can only be reached through its own pathway. There is no reason to go down the pathway (at least for the master suites) unless you are going to that particular suite. Although the roofs and parts of the side of the stuctures can be seen from the clubhouse, they are each just far enough away and surrounded by the jungle to be quiet and secluded.

Although I said above the resort is an ideal place for honeymooners and couples, it was also perfect for my family of five, with an 8 year old, 14 year old and 16 year old. In fact, during part of our stay, all but one of the bungalow/suites were occupied by families with kids of all ages. And all of the kids loved it! It was amazing how much fun the kids could have when there was no tv, internet or cell phone available.

But you honeymooner's and couples don't worry. First, it was Easter break. My guess is there are very few other times of the year when families will be traveling to a place like Latititude 10. Second, the suites are secluded enough that I doubt the kids were an issue for the couples that were there during our stay, except perhaps around the pool, And finally, I was told that one of the new policies being implemented by Florblanca, is that no more children under age 12 will be allowed.

While I would take my kids there again in a second, I must say that when we walked into our Master Suite, I said to my wife, this would be alot more fun if it were the two of us. The suite was beautiful, with dark woods, romantic lighting and candles, and an open air design that is difficult to describe. The attention to detail was evident at every turn. And the ventilation could not have been better. In the heat of dry season, the breeze at night (along with the whisper quiet ceiling fan) kept the room extremely cool and comfortable.

The outdoor bathrooms were also stunning. Nothing quite like taking a shower outdoors! My son especially enjoyed seeing a monkey in a tree above him while he was taking a shower!

Others have raved about the food and staff, and those raves were well deserved. We enjoyed all of our meals (and drinks!)and thoroughly enjoyed the personal attention we received from all the staff. They knew just the right amount of attention to give and were always there if needed.

If we had a special request, the request was met, whether asking Sebastian to make something special for the kids, or having any one of the staff giving input on the next days activities. The new ownership would be well served if they make as few changes a possible to the stafff and how they serve their guests.

I always try to think of what things could be improved. With Latitude 10, that list is small. My wife pointed out there were no robes, kleenex, or blow driers in the room. Her point was for that kind of money, they should provide those type of amenties. Probably a valid point. The only negative comment we could come up with on the meals was that soups were not Sebastion's strength. They were good, but they were not spectacular like everything else he prepared.

One thing guests should be aware of is that some of the representations on the new website have not yet come to fruition. There is no wireless internet service in the rooms yet and if each room has a four wheeler, that was news to us. My guess is those are amenities planned for the future that have not yet been added.

We had a wonderful stay at Latitude 10 and will recommend it to our friends as a place to go with or without kids. We are hopeful that on spring/easter break weeks and Christmas, the resort will consider relaxing its kids policy and allow children under 12 during those time periods because I would hate to have to wait 3 or 4 years to return with my family.

Regardless, we plan on returning. Latitude 10 is a special place and provides a unique environment that should not be missed.

• Liked — Beauty and Uniqueness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2008

We were very much looking forward to staying at Florblanca. I received an email about a week prior to our leaving saying that construction went over schedule and there would be a bit of construction still going on when we were going to be at Florblanca. The email stated "the construction is occurring away from the main part of the resort. We will be additionally limiting working hours during your stay and much of the work being done now will be hand work rather than heavy equipment. We hope any interruption will be slight."
When we arrived, we were taken on a tour of the property....very nice property. Then we arrive at our villa. Right next to which is a big green divider where construction is occurring. I was surprised at this because they said the construction would be away from the resort. I asked what time construction started in the morning. "8 am", she replied. OK, not horrendous, I thought. I didn't want to ruin my trip before it even began.
Next morning, 6:30am we get woken up by some power tool. I called the front desk and asked them why it was starting so early. "Oh, they're not supposed to be starting until 8." And this was the same response I got for 5 days. So, 5 out of the 7 days we stayed at Florblanca, we were awoken by this racket.
They offered to pay for our dinner the last night we were there as an apology. OK. Nice enough.
We get back home and go over our bill and they charged us an additional $120+ for our room than what was agreed upon. I inquired about this and they said it was because the colones exchange rate. They advertise in dollars and then charge another amount in colones that doesn't equal the amount they advertise. So be careful of this.
It is a shame because we travel a lot and this hotel has a lot of potential. The location is nice (minus the construction) and the restaurant is really good.
It is a shame they don't want repeat business.

• Liked — Restaurant
  • Disliked — advertised room price was not honored; very expensive to not be able to sleep there.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2008

We stayed at the Florblanca for five nights in January. It was nice, but not great. Our biggest issue was the lack of personalized service. We told the hotel when we booked in the Spring of ‘07 that we would be celebrating our ten-year wedding anniversary. We had emailed several times with travel questions and dining concerns (we are vegetarians) and we received timely, thoughtful responses. On several of those emails, we stated how excited we were to visit and celebrate our ten-year anniversary. This was never acknowledged upon arrival. We had to make arrangements to celebrate our own anniversary dinner at the hotel. The dinner and service was excellent. Expensive, but worth it. The chef is definitely talented. It would have been so much nicer if we had been given a card or a couple of cut flowers (without being charged for them) as a token gesture from the hotel. Also, most of the staff didn’t seem to know our names. Five nights at such a small resort and one would think that the staff would know names. Seemed impersonal. Of course, upon departure, we got a letter with our bill and a complimentary bar of soap.

We also had the feeling of being ‘nickeled and dimed.’ Our room rate of $640 per night included breakfast. We were a little put off that we still had to pay extra for water and toast at breakfast. Evidently, these items were not included.

Prices went up without warning as well. We ordered the same bottle of wine three nights in a row. The bottle was $25 the first two nights and jumped to $36 the third night. I guess we should have looked for pricing changes before we ordered.

The room was nice. Unfortunately, the hot water heater was broken when we arrived so we couldn’t take a hot soak after a long travel day. It was fixed fairly quickly, but too late for us to take advantage prior to dinner. We would recommend higher quality towels and shampoo/conditioner. Inferior for a $600+/night room. Also, our villa was close to the road so we could hear trucks/ATV’s etc. driving by during the night and early morning.

Unfortunately, the hotel is undergoing construction and we were not notified until shortly before departure. Too late to do anything about it. Everything else was booked.

The outside guide Adrian was excellent. The highlights of our trip were the excellent excursions. Adrian took us surfing, horseback riding and on a canopy tour. Stefan the yogi was excellent. The massage services were excellent as well.

Front desk staff service seemed spotty. For example, we were never told about the internet/computer room. We discovered it ourselves. The hotel would benefit from a truly professional and experienced concierge.

Overall, it was nice. It could be great with just a few minor changes.

• Liked — Food & Restaurant Service
  • Disliked — Impersonal
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2007

My husband and I chose Florblanca after finding out that Casa Chameleon was booked for our dates and we saw so many wonderful reviews for Florblanca. It was more expensive, but I feel that it was worth every dime we spent. We had stayed at another hotel in the area and had arranged for an all day snorkeling tour for the day we checked in. Rather than leaving all of our luggage in the car, Florblanca said it would be fine for us to leave our bags there before we left. When we arrived at about 7:30am, they knew right away who we were and unfortunately said that our tour had been cancelled due to weather. We weren't really sure what to do with ourselves at that point, but the girl at the desk said "Give me just a minute" and got on the phone, next thing we knew we had welcome smoothies, were being given the grand tour, and shown to our villa, even though check-in wasn't until 2:00. They delivered our luggage to us along with frest fruit and flowers. Even though we were bummed that we couldn't go snorkeling, they did everything they could to make sure we still had a fun and relaxing day. Every single person on the staff that we saw was very friendly and sincere and even though the restaurant was a bit overpriced for the area, the food was great. The bed was by far the most comfortable one we slept in, and we definitely needed the good sleep. It was the highlight of our honeymoon and exactly the kind of relaxation and pampering we needed!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2007

We stayed here for 4 days of our honeymoon.

The Pros:
--its secluded. You get a villa to yourself, so you don't have to deal with noises, etc. We spent many evenings relaxing on the hammock by ourselves.
--the food rules!!! The on-site restaurant is absolutely fabulous. We are from Chicago and I would say it rivals any of the good Chicago restaurants -- Trotters, Alinea, Moto, etc. -- both in quality of ingredient and in innovative preparation and presentation. We had plans galore to try out other area restaurants and just didn't find the need to do so.
--the beach is very close and secluded.
--the accomodations are gorgeous. This is the best bed we slept on during our honeymoon; the sheets and other bedding was very luxurious.
--the spa and yoga classes were great (albeit slightly overpriced compared to the rest of the places we stayed in costa rica).
--we took a surf lesson from one of the instructors on-site and it was great! Highly recommended.
--As a result of being secluded, this place is very hard to get to. We opted to drive from the volcano, and it took about 7 hours -- 3 hours to get to the ferry, 2 hours to get across the ferry, and another 2 hours on the other side (an hour of which were on completely dirty roads). You must have a 4 x 4 and you must do this in the daylight. A GPS is also recommended.

The Cons:
--If you, like me, are hesitant about bugs, lizards, etc., this is a hard place for you to stay. The villa is open air. This means that your bathroom doesn't have a ceiling or walls. While you are peeing or washing your hair, there might be a large lizard staring at you from a tree branch above. My husband loved this; it took me a while to get over my initial squeamishness (looking back, a few months later, it's all fine -- but if you're expecting the Four Season, well, this is just *different*).
--the beach in front of the hotel is pretty rocky and hard to swim or snorkel in - you have to walk a bit down the beach to find a good area for swimming, laying out, etc. I don't know how relevant this is -- we enjoyed our walks on the beach almost as much as laying out or swimming.
--we had one issue where the price advertised for a private yoga session was less than what we were charged. My husband was upset about it at the time, but overall, that's not a huge deal. Just be sure to clarify whether prices have changed since the details were published.

All in all? One of the most memorable experiences of our honeymoon.

Stayed May 2007
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

I was looking for a relaxing place where I wouldn't be bothered by anyone... The Florblanca delivered! The villas were truly secluded and incredible. The hotel staff was very friendly and made each of my requests happen.
Positives: Amazing sunsets on the beach attached to Florblanca, friendly and accommodating staff, beautiful resort grounds, great pool area, large open villas.
Negatives: Shouldn't count on having internet or cell phone access (but you're on vacation, why would you need it?), since the villas are open you have to expect that you might run across some bugs or animals. I don't mind those things, but I know some people do.
I was there in January and the weather was perfect. I plan on making another trip back sometime!

• Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Florblanca Resort? Share your experiences!